Wrestling: Mesa Mtn. View wins Flowing Wells Invitational
Originally published: Jan 18, 2014 - 12:00 am
Mesa Mountain View's wrestlers built a 26-point lead heading to the final round Saturday night and though their lead was pared some they managed to comfortably win the title of the 48th annual Flowing Wells Wrestling Invitational at Flowing Wells High School.
Mountain View had seven wrestlers place with one individual champion Paden Mason (115-pounds). Mason won by injury default in the second period over Desert Vista's Alex Carrillo. Three Toros finished second -- Blake Monty (154), Kieffer Taylor (172) and Alexis Garcia (287). Phoenix Hollen (197) and McKay Huber (222) took third place in their respective weights and Ryan Gallo (147) placed fifth.
Mountain View totaled 223.5 points to outpace runner-up and defending champion Sunnyside (208.5). Rounding out the top five teams were: Cibola (190.5), Corona del Sol (176.5) and Ironwood Ridge (161). The tournament's outstanding wrestler was Seton Catholic's Quentin Hovis (122). Hovis was unseeded and won two matches by pin and defeated Chandler's Quincy Reece in the final, 5-2. Hovis is 39-1 for the season.
Ten schools produced at least one individual champ. Leading the way with three was Cibola. The Raiders got titles from Luis Nunez (134), Pierre Gaud (162), who topped defending champ Ethan Tursini of Corona del Sol and Vicente Guerrero (172). Sunnyside and Chandler had two champions apiece. Sunnyside's winners were William Olivas (128) and Gabriel Gonzales (197). Gonzales pinned Corona del Sol's Michael Clare and was the only indvidual who repeated as a champ this year at the tournament. Chandler's champs were Estevan Ulibarri (140) and Dajour Reece (154).
Rounding out the individual champions: Ironwood Ridge's Danny Vega (108), Cleveland, NM's Jesse Nieto (147), Boulder Creek's Jro Byrd (184), Desert Vista's Tristan Ezell (222) and Flowing Wells Jose Felix (287). Felix was one of two champs to win by pin and did so at 1:49.
Sixth-through 10th place in the team standings: Desert Vista (146), Chandler (142.5), Cienega (132), Marana Mtn. View (121) and Boulder Creek and Tucson High (112.5).
- Paul Lopez - Saturday April 19Mountain Pointe Football and Track Athlete Paul Lucas joins the show.
- Jerry Dawson - Saturday April 19Former Chaparral Baseball Manager Jerry Dawson joins the show.
- Geno Fata - Saturday April 19Geno Fata Account Executive with the Diamondbacks joins the show.
- Jean Boyd - Saturday April 19ASU Associate Senior Athletic Director Jean Boyd joins the show.
- April 19, 2014 - Hour: 1Phoenix Suns Spirit of Cotton Award Winner and Valley Lutheran Head boys’ Basketball coach Robert Ko
- April 19, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Geno Fata, Jerry Dawson and Paul Lucas join the show.
- April 12, 2014 - Hour: 1ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson, Hamilton Head Baseball Coach Mike Woods, and Xavier Sand Volleyb
- April 12, 2014 - Hour: 2U of A Assistant Coach Coach Charlie Ragle and AIA Associate Executive Director Chuck Schmidt join t
- April 5, 2014 - Hour: 1In this hour AIA 365's Les Wilsey joins the show.