Wrestling: Mesa Mtn. View wins Flowing Wells Invitational
Originally published: Jan 18, 2014 - 12:00 am
Mesa Mountain View's wrestlers built a 26-point lead heading to the final round Saturday night and though their lead was pared some they managed to comfortably win the title of the 48th annual Flowing Wells Wrestling Invitational at Flowing Wells High School.
Mountain View had seven wrestlers place with one individual champion Paden Mason (115-pounds). Mason won by injury default in the second period over Desert Vista's Alex Carrillo. Three Toros finished second -- Blake Monty (154), Kieffer Taylor (172) and Alexis Garcia (287). Phoenix Hollen (197) and McKay Huber (222) took third place in their respective weights and Ryan Gallo (147) placed fifth.
Mountain View totaled 223.5 points to outpace runner-up and defending champion Sunnyside (208.5). Rounding out the top five teams were: Cibola (190.5), Corona del Sol (176.5) and Ironwood Ridge (161). The tournament's outstanding wrestler was Seton Catholic's Quentin Hovis (122). Hovis was unseeded and won two matches by pin and defeated Chandler's Quincy Reece in the final, 5-2. Hovis is 39-1 for the season.
Ten schools produced at least one individual champ. Leading the way with three was Cibola. The Raiders got titles from Luis Nunez (134), Pierre Gaud (162), who topped defending champ Ethan Tursini of Corona del Sol and Vicente Guerrero (172). Sunnyside and Chandler had two champions apiece. Sunnyside's winners were William Olivas (128) and Gabriel Gonzales (197). Gonzales pinned Corona del Sol's Michael Clare and was the only indvidual who repeated as a champ this year at the tournament. Chandler's champs were Estevan Ulibarri (140) and Dajour Reece (154).
Rounding out the individual champions: Ironwood Ridge's Danny Vega (108), Cleveland, NM's Jesse Nieto (147), Boulder Creek's Jro Byrd (184), Desert Vista's Tristan Ezell (222) and Flowing Wells Jose Felix (287). Felix was one of two champs to win by pin and did so at 1:49.
Sixth-through 10th place in the team standings: Desert Vista (146), Chandler (142.5), Cienega (132), Marana Mtn. View (121) and Boulder Creek and Tucson High (112.5).
- Perry High Sophomore and Arizona State Basketball Commit Markus Howard - Saturday August 30Markus Howard talks about committing to ASU and the upcoming season for Perry High School.
- Xavier Prep Junior and USC Girl's Volleyball Commit Khalia Lanier - Saturday August 30Khalia Lanier talks about the volleyball season and her commitment to USC.
- Basha Head Football Coach Gerald Todd - Saturday August 30Gerald Todd talks about getting their first win of the season against Desert Vista.
- Jim and Mark Sollenberger Brothers of Barry Sollenberger - Saturday August 23Jim and Mark Sollenberger talk about the Sollenberger Classic and what the event means to the Sollen
- August 30, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps recaps week 1 of the AZ HS sports season.
- August 30, 2014 - Hour: 2Arizona Sports Preps 365 recaps week 1 of the Arizona High School sports season.
- August 23, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365 recaps and previews the Sollenberger Classic football games.
- August 23, 2014 - Hour: 2Arizona Sports Preps 365 Recaps and Previews the Sollenberger Classic Game in Las Vegas.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Jim and Craig talk to Chuck Schmidt and Dave Zorn.