Wrestling: Mesa Mtn. View wins Flowing Wells Invitational
Originally published: Jan 18, 2014 - 12:00 am
Mesa Mountain View's wrestlers built a 26-point lead heading to the final round Saturday night and though their lead was pared some they managed to comfortably win the title of the 48th annual Flowing Wells Wrestling Invitational at Flowing Wells High School.
Mountain View had seven wrestlers place with one individual champion Paden Mason (115-pounds). Mason won by injury default in the second period over Desert Vista's Alex Carrillo. Three Toros finished second -- Blake Monty (154), Kieffer Taylor (172) and Alexis Garcia (287). Phoenix Hollen (197) and McKay Huber (222) took third place in their respective weights and Ryan Gallo (147) placed fifth.
Mountain View totaled 223.5 points to outpace runner-up and defending champion Sunnyside (208.5). Rounding out the top five teams were: Cibola (190.5), Corona del Sol (176.5) and Ironwood Ridge (161). The tournament's outstanding wrestler was Seton Catholic's Quentin Hovis (122). Hovis was unseeded and won two matches by pin and defeated Chandler's Quincy Reece in the final, 5-2. Hovis is 39-1 for the season.
Ten schools produced at least one individual champ. Leading the way with three was Cibola. The Raiders got titles from Luis Nunez (134), Pierre Gaud (162), who topped defending champ Ethan Tursini of Corona del Sol and Vicente Guerrero (172). Sunnyside and Chandler had two champions apiece. Sunnyside's winners were William Olivas (128) and Gabriel Gonzales (197). Gonzales pinned Corona del Sol's Michael Clare and was the only indvidual who repeated as a champ this year at the tournament. Chandler's champs were Estevan Ulibarri (140) and Dajour Reece (154).
Rounding out the individual champions: Ironwood Ridge's Danny Vega (108), Cleveland, NM's Jesse Nieto (147), Boulder Creek's Jro Byrd (184), Desert Vista's Tristan Ezell (222) and Flowing Wells Jose Felix (287). Felix was one of two champs to win by pin and did so at 1:49.
Sixth-through 10th place in the team standings: Desert Vista (146), Chandler (142.5), Cienega (132), Marana Mtn. View (121) and Boulder Creek and Tucson High (112.5).
- Dave Zorn - Saturday June 14Host of the Friday Night Wrap-Up Show, Dave Zorn, joins the show to talk about why he is leaving.
- Chuck Schmidt - Saturday June 14AIA Executive Director, Chuck Schmidt, joins the show to talk about everything AIA.
- Blake Jackson - Saturday June 7Gilbert High School, Scottsdale Community College and Oklahoma State alum, Blake Jackson joins the s
- Casey Benson - Saturday June 7Three Time State Champion PG for Corona Del Sol, Casey Benson, joins the show.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Jim and Craig talk to Chuck Schmidt and Dave Zorn.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 1In this hour Jim and Craig talk to 3 TV's Tyler Baldwin and Az Central's Richard Obert.
- June 7, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365, in this hour Sammy Chagolla, Bryce Perkins and Ky Westbrook join the show.
- June 7, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Cole Tucker, Casey Benson and Blake Jackson join the show.
- May 31, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365 Show, bringing the latest in high school sports around the state.