Wrestling: Mesa Mtn. View wins Flowing Wells Invitational
Originally published: Jan 18, 2014 - 12:00 am
Mesa Mountain View's wrestlers built a 26-point lead heading to the final round Saturday night and though their lead was pared some they managed to comfortably win the title of the 48th annual Flowing Wells Wrestling Invitational at Flowing Wells High School.
Mountain View had seven wrestlers place with one individual champion Paden Mason (115-pounds). Mason won by injury default in the second period over Desert Vista's Alex Carrillo. Three Toros finished second -- Blake Monty (154), Kieffer Taylor (172) and Alexis Garcia (287). Phoenix Hollen (197) and McKay Huber (222) took third place in their respective weights and Ryan Gallo (147) placed fifth.
Mountain View totaled 223.5 points to outpace runner-up and defending champion Sunnyside (208.5). Rounding out the top five teams were: Cibola (190.5), Corona del Sol (176.5) and Ironwood Ridge (161). The tournament's outstanding wrestler was Seton Catholic's Quentin Hovis (122). Hovis was unseeded and won two matches by pin and defeated Chandler's Quincy Reece in the final, 5-2. Hovis is 39-1 for the season.
Ten schools produced at least one individual champ. Leading the way with three was Cibola. The Raiders got titles from Luis Nunez (134), Pierre Gaud (162), who topped defending champ Ethan Tursini of Corona del Sol and Vicente Guerrero (172). Sunnyside and Chandler had two champions apiece. Sunnyside's winners were William Olivas (128) and Gabriel Gonzales (197). Gonzales pinned Corona del Sol's Michael Clare and was the only indvidual who repeated as a champ this year at the tournament. Chandler's champs were Estevan Ulibarri (140) and Dajour Reece (154).
Rounding out the individual champions: Ironwood Ridge's Danny Vega (108), Cleveland, NM's Jesse Nieto (147), Boulder Creek's Jro Byrd (184), Desert Vista's Tristan Ezell (222) and Flowing Wells Jose Felix (287). Felix was one of two champs to win by pin and did so at 1:49.
Sixth-through 10th place in the team standings: Desert Vista (146), Chandler (142.5), Cienega (132), Marana Mtn. View (121) and Boulder Creek and Tucson High (112.5).
- Lisa Contreras - Saturday March 1Head coach of the Westview girl's basketball team, Lisa Contreras, joins the show.
- Sam Duane - Saturday March 1Corona del Sol Head Coach Sam Duane joins the show.
- James Kirk - Saturday March 1Flagstaff Head Coach James Kirk joins the show.
- Paul Coro - Saturday March 1AZ Central's Paul Coro joins the show.
- March 1, 2014 - Hour: 1Jim Smith, Brian Bolitho and Paul Coro join the show.
- March 1, 2014 - Hour: 2This hour James Kirk, Lisa Contreras and Sam Duane join the show
- February 22, 2014 - Hour: 1In this hour, Michael Carutenuto, Les Wilsey and Jason Skoda join the show.
- February 22, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour of the show we have The Full Court Press and David Hopkinson and Richard Obert also joi
- February 15, 2014 - Hour: 1AIA 365 - Bringing the highest quality on air content covering Arizona and National Prep Athletics.