Wrestling: Mesa Mtn. View leads tight race at Flowing Wells
Originally published: Jan 17, 2014 - 12:00 am
Mesa Mountain View leads the 48th Flowing Wells Wrestling Invitational after Friday's quarterfinal rounds, but the teams trailing the Toros advanced more wrestlers to Saturday's semifinals at Flowing Wells High School.
Mesa Mountain View totaled 123 points to distance itself from defending champion Sunnyside (117), Corona del Sol (108) and Cibola (96) in the team standings. Mountain View sends four to the semis today while Sunnyside, Corona del Sol and Cibola qualified six each for the round. Semifinal action opens Saturday (Jan. 18) at 10 a.m.. When that round and the consolation brackets finish there will be a break. The finals are set for Saturday night at 6.
Rounding out the top-10 teams are fifth-place Ironwood Ridge (85.5), followed by Chandler (85), Marana Mountain View (84.5), Desert Vista (84), Boulder Creek (83.5) and Clevelan (Rio Rancho NM) with 76.5. Thirty-seven teams are competing in the tournament, considered the top invitational in the state.
The championship semifinal qualifers for the top four teams are: Mesa Mountain View -- Blake Monty (154), Kieffer Taylor (172), McKay Huber (222), Alexis Garcia (HWT); Sunnyside -- Juaqin Olivas (122), William Olivas (128). Rickey Miranda (147), Jesse Villegas (162), Oscar Cuevas (172), Gabriel Gonzales (197); Corona del Sol -- Marc Farina (128), Ethan Tursini (162), Taylor Rico (172), Bridger Barker (184), Michael Clare (197), Darius Ryan (HWT); Cibola -- David Wuertemburg (108), Alexander Juarez (115), Luis Nunez (134), Andres Gandara (140), Pierre Gaud (162) and Vincente Guerrero (172). The semfinals for 172 contain wrestlers from each of the top four schools from Friday's team standings.
- Dave Zorn - Saturday June 14Host of the Friday Night Wrap-Up Show, Dave Zorn, joins the show to talk about why he is leaving.
- Chuck Schmidt - Saturday June 14AIA Executive Director, Chuck Schmidt, joins the show to talk about everything AIA.
- Blake Jackson - Saturday June 7Gilbert High School, Scottsdale Community College and Oklahoma State alum, Blake Jackson joins the s
- Casey Benson - Saturday June 7Three Time State Champion PG for Corona Del Sol, Casey Benson, joins the show.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Jim and Craig talk to Chuck Schmidt and Dave Zorn.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 1In this hour Jim and Craig talk to 3 TV's Tyler Baldwin and Az Central's Richard Obert.
- June 7, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365, in this hour Sammy Chagolla, Bryce Perkins and Ky Westbrook join the show.
- June 7, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Cole Tucker, Casey Benson and Blake Jackson join the show.
- May 31, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365 Show, bringing the latest in high school sports around the state.