Wrestling: Mesa Mtn. View leads tight race at Flowing Wells
Originally published: Jan 17, 2014 - 12:00 am
Mesa Mountain View leads the 48th Flowing Wells Wrestling Invitational after Friday's quarterfinal rounds, but the teams trailing the Toros advanced more wrestlers to Saturday's semifinals at Flowing Wells High School.
Mesa Mountain View totaled 123 points to distance itself from defending champion Sunnyside (117), Corona del Sol (108) and Cibola (96) in the team standings. Mountain View sends four to the semis today while Sunnyside, Corona del Sol and Cibola qualified six each for the round. Semifinal action opens Saturday (Jan. 18) at 10 a.m.. When that round and the consolation brackets finish there will be a break. The finals are set for Saturday night at 6.
Rounding out the top-10 teams are fifth-place Ironwood Ridge (85.5), followed by Chandler (85), Marana Mountain View (84.5), Desert Vista (84), Boulder Creek (83.5) and Clevelan (Rio Rancho NM) with 76.5. Thirty-seven teams are competing in the tournament, considered the top invitational in the state.
The championship semifinal qualifers for the top four teams are: Mesa Mountain View -- Blake Monty (154), Kieffer Taylor (172), McKay Huber (222), Alexis Garcia (HWT); Sunnyside -- Juaqin Olivas (122), William Olivas (128). Rickey Miranda (147), Jesse Villegas (162), Oscar Cuevas (172), Gabriel Gonzales (197); Corona del Sol -- Marc Farina (128), Ethan Tursini (162), Taylor Rico (172), Bridger Barker (184), Michael Clare (197), Darius Ryan (HWT); Cibola -- David Wuertemburg (108), Alexander Juarez (115), Luis Nunez (134), Andres Gandara (140), Pierre Gaud (162) and Vincente Guerrero (172). The semfinals for 172 contain wrestlers from each of the top four schools from Friday's team standings.
- Paul Lopez - Saturday April 19Mountain Pointe Football and Track Athlete Paul Lucas joins the show.
- Jerry Dawson - Saturday April 19Former Chaparral Baseball Manager Jerry Dawson joins the show.
- Geno Fata - Saturday April 19Geno Fata Account Executive with the Diamondbacks joins the show.
- Jean Boyd - Saturday April 19ASU Associate Senior Athletic Director Jean Boyd joins the show.
- April 19, 2014 - Hour: 1Phoenix Suns Spirit of Cotton Award Winner and Valley Lutheran Head boys’ Basketball coach Robert Ko
- April 19, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Geno Fata, Jerry Dawson and Paul Lucas join the show.
- April 12, 2014 - Hour: 1ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson, Hamilton Head Baseball Coach Mike Woods, and Xavier Sand Volleyb
- April 12, 2014 - Hour: 2U of A Assistant Coach Coach Charlie Ragle and AIA Associate Executive Director Chuck Schmidt join t
- April 5, 2014 - Hour: 1In this hour AIA 365's Les Wilsey joins the show.