Chaparral girls return home from tough trip for soccer win
Originally published: Jan 15, 2014 - 12:00 am
On Monday (Jan. 13), the girls soccer team from Scottsdale Chaparral traveled a few hundred miles for about a four-hour round trip to northern Arizona.
The Lady Firebirds had nothing to show for it, battling to a scoreless tie with Flagstaff High.
Chaparral vowed to get a better result when it played a home match on Wednesday night (Jan. 15) against Phoenix Sandra Day O’Connor.
O’Connor entered the match with only one loss, but went home with another as Chaparral had the upper hand from start to finish in a 5-0 victory.
Chaparral improved to 5-4-3 while Sandra Day O’Connor slipped to 12-2-1. Chaparral was No. 14 in Division I power points entering this week, while Sandra Day O’Connor was 13th.
“We had our opportunities against Flagstaff, but we couldn’t finish the job. It was frustrating,’’ said Chaparral coach Robyn Carlson. “We played much better tonight against a very good team.’’
Senior mid Olivia Struckman struck often in the first half, scoring a hat trick for a 3-0 lead at the break.
During the team’s halftime meeting, Carlson urged her players to keep up the pace and not fall back and coast for the final 40 minutes.
Chaparral goalkeeper Taylor Wolpe kept Sandra Day O’Connor from getting back into the match early in the second half by diving with a full extension to turn away a shot and keep the shutout alive.
The Lady Firebirds made it 4-0 with 20:56 left in the match when Hannah Wambaugh emerged from a scramble in front of the goal to boot the ball home.
The final goal came with 1:01 left in the match on a penalty kick by Alicia Jamison.
Sandra Day O’Connor did what it could to advance the ball deep into Chaparral territory, especially with the speed and footwork of forward Anna Goebel, but the Chaparral defense would come in to smother most of the attempts.
“We were quicker with the ball on offense and quicker on defense. We played good defense,’’ Carlson said.
- Paul Lopez - Saturday April 19Mountain Pointe Football and Track Athlete Paul Lucas joins the show.
- Jerry Dawson - Saturday April 19Former Chaparral Baseball Manager Jerry Dawson joins the show.
- Geno Fata - Saturday April 19Geno Fata Account Executive with the Diamondbacks joins the show.
- Jean Boyd - Saturday April 19ASU Associate Senior Athletic Director Jean Boyd joins the show.
- April 19, 2014 - Hour: 1Phoenix Suns Spirit of Cotton Award Winner and Valley Lutheran Head boys’ Basketball coach Robert Ko
- April 19, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Geno Fata, Jerry Dawson and Paul Lucas join the show.
- April 12, 2014 - Hour: 1ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson, Hamilton Head Baseball Coach Mike Woods, and Xavier Sand Volleyb
- April 12, 2014 - Hour: 2U of A Assistant Coach Coach Charlie Ragle and AIA Associate Executive Director Chuck Schmidt join t
- April 5, 2014 - Hour: 1In this hour AIA 365's Les Wilsey joins the show.