Boys soccer: Chandler beats Perry with 3-goal 2nd half
Originally published: Jan 15, 2014 - 12:00 am
Chandler's boys soccer team usually has its matches salted away by the final 10 minutes. That wasn't the case Wednesday night, but the Wolves managed two goals in the final seven minutes to put away Perry, 4-1, in a Division I contest at Perry.
"This was an off game, we didn't play our game," Chandler coach Sasha Hunter said. "We were a little off, and they kept the pressure on. We need to get back to our game come Friday (vs. Gilbert)."
Chandler (10-2 overall, 6-1 power-ranking games) scored quickly and easily for the first lead of the game. Andrew Layton's thrown in -- about parallel with the top of the box -- caromed off Perry keeper Tim Parra's hands and in the net in the second minute.
Perry (7-7-3, 3-5 prg) evened the score in the ninth minute as Tristan Cooper fed Isaiah Lidell inside the box and Lidell drilled it past Chandler keeper Carter Rumsey. The tie continued to intermission. Chandler had a slight edge the first 40 minutes getting a few corners and plenty of throw-ins from Layton. It was a Layton throw-in in the 47th minute that put Chandler ahead for good, but not out of reach of Perry.
Lining up at almost exactly the same spot as his own goal toss in the 2nd minute, Layton's throw this time was headed in by Sam Schwalenberg for a 2-1 advantage.
The next 25 minutes were a standoff. When Chandler's Don Tchilao went down after knocking heads at midfield, Perry resumed after a break with a free kick from its end. Lidell ended up with the ball in space and fired a shot from about 20 yards out. It skimmed the crossbar in the 68th minutte. A minute later Lidell had another chance from close range thwarted before he got a clean shot off.
"No. 8 (Lidell) is sensational," Hunter said. "The first goal was a beauty, and we were fortunate he didn't score again late."
Chandler wasn't creating goals it usually does, but it stung Perry with a free kick from 25 yards out in the 73rd minute. Junior midfielder Jesus Cortez took the kick right of the box and connected top of the near post. Four minutes later Chandler created with Jairo Castro assisting Victor Castro to conclude the scoring.
- Chuck Schmidt - Saturday March 8AIA Associate Executive Director joins the show this morning.
- Karen Self - Saturday March 8Seton Catholic Head Girls Basketball Coach, Karen Self, joins the show.
- Jerry Conner - Saturday March 8Shadow Mountain Head Coach, Jerry Conner, joins the show.
- J'ohntar Coleman - Saturday March 8Desert Vista Head Girls Basketball Coach, J'ohntar Coleman, joins the show.
- March 8, 2014 - Hour: 1Player Casey Benson and coaches J'ohntar Coleman and Jerry Conner join the show.
- March 8, 2014 - Hour: 2Karen Self and AIA's Chuck Schmidt join the show.
- March 1, 2014 - Hour: 1Jim Smith, Brian Bolitho and Paul Coro join the show.
- March 1, 2014 - Hour: 2This hour James Kirk, Lisa Contreras and Sam Duane join the show
- February 22, 2014 - Hour: 1In this hour, Michael Carutenuto, Les Wilsey and Jason Skoda join the show.