Peoria girls benefit from early hoops lead, hold on for win
Originally published: Jan 13, 2014 - 12:00 am
The girls basketball team from Peoria High appeared to be just a few moments and one point away from grabbing a 30-point lead over Phoenix Greenway early in the fourth quarter and setting up a running clock.
Instead, the Panthers soon were running for their lives.
Greenway went on a 17-2 spree in the final 4:34, but Peoria held on for a 78-65 victory over the visiting Demons on Monday night (June 13).
Peoria raised its record to 15-3, while Greenway dropped to 6-8.
“We lost a bit of our focus,’’ said Peoria coach John Canale, seeming a bit relieved that there wasn’t any more time left on the clock.
Canale added that his team was fortunate to connect on many of its 3-point shots (the Panthers made eight).
His team is very unselfish, he said, and is learning to play without post player Precious Jackson, who suffered a torn ACL in her knee during the championship game of the (Phoenix) Arcadia holiday tournament won by Scottsdale Saguaro.
Taylor Blue, a hybrid inside-outside player, led Peoria with 29 points. Guard Alexis Camacho scored 19 and made some decent passes to set up teammates. And inside player Chayrel Yazzie scored 15.
Sierra Michael led Greenway with 14 points, Jordyn Kesler-Kline scored 13 and A.K. Kennedy scored 10.
Yazzie scored on a follow-up shot with about 4:40 left in the game to give Peoria a 76-48 lead. The Panthers led by 29, 74-45, a few moments earlier.
Greenway then went on its run, with Kennedy scoring all of her 10 points, including back-to-back 3-pointers. But the Demons had dug themselves too big of an early trench.
Greenway’s record appears deceptive. If it is able to reach the state tournament, it has the talent necessary to do some damage.
Peoria, meanwhile, will keep plugging along.
“We have to have more fundamentals,’’ Canale said. “We have to box out better on the boards and have better ball-handling.’’
- Chuck Schmidt - Saturday April 12AIA Associate Executive Director Chuck Schmidt joins the show.
- Charlie Ragle - Saturday April 12U of A Assistant Coach and Tight Ends Coach Charlie Ragle joins the show.
- Matt Rogers - Saturday April 12Xavier Head Sand Volleyball Coach Matt Rogers joins the show.
- Mike Woods - Saturday April 12Hamilton Head Baseball Coach Mike Woods joins the show.
- April 12, 2014 - Hour: 1ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson, Hamilton Head Baseball Coach Mike Woods, and Xavier Sand Volleyb
- April 12, 2014 - Hour: 2U of A Assistant Coach Coach Charlie Ragle and AIA Associate Executive Director Chuck Schmidt join t
- April 5, 2014 - Hour: 1In this hour AIA 365's Les Wilsey joins the show.
- April 5, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Michael Rabasca, Ky Westbrook, and Richard Obert join the show.
- March 29, 2014 - Hour: 1Eric Kibler and Justin Allen join the show.