Playing catch-up with D-I basketball talent from AZ
Originally published: Jan 9, 2014 - 12:00 am
Thursday’s Pac-12 Conference basketball docket is headlined by the University of Arizona-UCLA game on ESPN.
During the game, four in-state alums and a coach, UCLA assistant David Grace, with Arizona high school ties will take the floor Thursday at Pauley Pavilion. Grace led South Mountain to a Division II title in 2006.
With today’s big Pac-12 showdown in mind, aia365.com decided to check in on former Arizona high school basketball players playing for the top NCAA Division I teams in the nation. Below is a list of home-grown talent (15 players) playing for teams that were ranked in the Associated Press’ top-25 list this week for men and women.
aia365.com also checked in on St. Mary’s Fab 5, the girls program’s 2012-13 five Division I-bound seniors.
No. 1 University of Arizona (15-0)
Eric Conklin, Fr., F, (Chaparral) (no stats)
Matt Korchek, Jr., F, (Sabino) 5.1 minutes per game
Chris Johnson, Jr., F, Gilbert, Az (no stats)
Nick Johnson, Jr., G, Gilbert (Highland) 16.0 ppg, 48 FG%
No. 15 University of Colorado (14-2)
Jaron Hopkins, Fr., G (Dobson) 17.6 minutes per game, 44 FG%,, 5.6 ppg
No. 21 University of Missouri (12-2)
Torren Jones, Fr., F (Basha) Averaging 3.5 minutes per game after eight games.
No. 5 Louisville (15-1)
Cortnee Walton, So., F, (St. Mary's) 15.7 minutes per game, 58.3 FG%, 4.4 rebounds per game, 4.5 points per game
No. 11 Iowa State (13-0)
Jordan Jensen, Fr., F, (Mesa Mt. View) Averaging 2.7 minutes per game.
No. 17 Colorado (11-2)
Lexy Kresl, Jr., G, (Shadow Mountain) 26.9 minutes per game, 86.9 FT%, 4.7 rebounds per game, 10.5 points per game
Jamee Swan, So., F (Marana Mt. View) 13.3 minutes per game, 4.5 rebounds per game, tied for team lead in blocks with 10, 4.6 points per game.
No. 23 Arizona State (12-2)
Arnecia Hawkins, So., G (Mesa Mt. View) 9.9 minutes per game, 4.1 points per game
Joy Burke, Sr., C, (Marcos de Niza) 16.4 minutes per game, 5.4 rebounds per game, 8.1 points per game
Promise Amukamara, Jr., G (Apollo High) 24.8 minutes per game, leads team with 23 steals, 7.6 points per game
No. 24 San Diego (15-1)
Katherine Hamilton, Fr., G (Dobson) 9.6 minutes per game, 2.2 minutes per game
Kameron Knutson, Sr., F (Dobson) 10.6 minutes per game, 2.4 points per game
St. Mary's Fab 5
Chloe Johnson Fr., G (San Diego State) 12.2 minutes per game
Chantel Osahor Fr., F (Washington) 13.8 minutes per game, 3.8 rebounds per game, 4.8 points per game
Brandee Walton, Fr., F, (New Mexico State) 8.6 minutes per game,
Danielle Williams Fr., G (Michigan) 4.8 minutes per game, 1.5 points per game
Dominique Williams, Fr., G (UCLA), 14.4 minutes per game
- Paul Lopez - Saturday April 19Mountain Pointe Football and Track Athlete Paul Lucas joins the show.
- Jerry Dawson - Saturday April 19Former Chaparral Baseball Manager Jerry Dawson joins the show.
- Geno Fata - Saturday April 19Geno Fata Account Executive with the Diamondbacks joins the show.
- Jean Boyd - Saturday April 19ASU Associate Senior Athletic Director Jean Boyd joins the show.
- April 19, 2014 - Hour: 1Phoenix Suns Spirit of Cotton Award Winner and Valley Lutheran Head boys’ Basketball coach Robert Ko
- April 19, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Geno Fata, Jerry Dawson and Paul Lucas join the show.
- April 12, 2014 - Hour: 1ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson, Hamilton Head Baseball Coach Mike Woods, and Xavier Sand Volleyb
- April 12, 2014 - Hour: 2U of A Assistant Coach Coach Charlie Ragle and AIA Associate Executive Director Chuck Schmidt join t
- April 5, 2014 - Hour: 1In this hour AIA 365's Les Wilsey joins the show.