Boys soccer: Campo Verde rebounds from shutout, tops Higley
Originally published: Jan 8, 2014 - 12:00 am
Goals haven't come in droves this season for Campo Verde's ' boys soccer team. When one or two come the Coyotes' way, coach Drew Guarneri is grateful.
Guarneri saw his team get plenty of chances Wednesday night and they finally converted one in the 73rd minute to pull out a 1-0 victory over neighboring Higley in a Division II match at Campo Verde.
"We've had trouble scoring this year," Guarneri said. "That's no secret to us. We haven't finished chances enough, and as a result we haven't been real dangerous.... We're young up top with a couple sophomores and a junior. At the end of the day whether you win 1-0 or 2-0, it's a win and you take it."
Campo Verde (7-5, 3-2 power-ranking games) was certainly the aggressor save the first 10 to 15 minutes after dropping a 3-0 decision the night before to Notre Dame Prep. The Coyotes outshot Higley (4-5, 3-3 prm) by a 2-to-1 margin. The goal came thanks to one of several runs late in the second half keyed by the speed and energy of Campo Verde senior Beau McKenna. McKenna gained possession and rushed through midfield and beyond. He found Devin Ries with a nice feed inside the box. Ries backed up, set up and the left-footed senior powered it past Higley keeper Nicolas Self.
"We had a great year last year," Guarneri said of the squad that posted a 20-3-1 mark "This team is better in the field of play. Knocks the ball better. But we don't have that guy who scores consistently."
Self did a fine job in goal for Higley He collected 11 saves and was under intense pressure in the second half, especially a 15-minute span prior to Campo Verde's goal. Briley Guarneri earned the shutout for Campo Verde. He finished with six saves and showed a strong leg on line-drive goal kicks that covered half the field or a little better.
"I was happy with the way we played, thought we played pretty well," Higley coach Ed Waller said. "We held our own. Nic definitely kept us in the game. I told them they can't hang their heads. Not when you lose to a quality team 1-0."
- Dave Zorn - Saturday June 14Host of the Friday Night Wrap-Up Show, Dave Zorn, joins the show to talk about why he is leaving.
- Chuck Schmidt - Saturday June 14AIA Executive Director, Chuck Schmidt, joins the show to talk about everything AIA.
- Blake Jackson - Saturday June 7Gilbert High School, Scottsdale Community College and Oklahoma State alum, Blake Jackson joins the s
- Casey Benson - Saturday June 7Three Time State Champion PG for Corona Del Sol, Casey Benson, joins the show.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Jim and Craig talk to Chuck Schmidt and Dave Zorn.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 1In this hour Jim and Craig talk to 3 TV's Tyler Baldwin and Az Central's Richard Obert.
- June 7, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365, in this hour Sammy Chagolla, Bryce Perkins and Ky Westbrook join the show.
- June 7, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Cole Tucker, Casey Benson and Blake Jackson join the show.
- May 31, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365 Show, bringing the latest in high school sports around the state.