Former Phx. Union coach was Wimpy by name, not in stature
Originally published: Jan 4, 2014 - 12:00 am
Sitting in the gymnasium at Phoenix South Mountain for the Phoenix Union High School District Holiday Classic for boys basketball stirred up my memories of when the district ruled the day in just about every sport, particularly basketball.
One of the great programs came out of Phoenix Union itself. The Coyotes won state big-school championships in 1960, 1961, 1967 and 1968.
The architect was Gerald “Wimpy’’ Jones.
Jones had a long teaching and coaching career that included Duncan, Coolidge and Phoenix Maryvale in addition to Phoenix Union.
His ties to the PUHSD reached a second generation when his son, Brent, starred at Phoenix Alhambra in the late 1970s and went on to play at Arizona State.
Sadly, Wimpy Jones passed away in Phoenix on Dec. 31 at age 93 with his family by his side. His services were held Saturday (Jan. 4) in Phoenix.
Jones was born in Mesa and was an athlete in Mesa High. He served in the U.S. Coast Guard. As a young adult, he developed into one of the top softball pitchers in the state. In 31 years, he pitched 45 no-hitters and a perfect game in which he struck out all 21 batters.
He was inducted into the Arizona Softball Foundation Hall of Fame in 1978.
Jones loved sports and attended events even after he left coaching.
He and some of his coaching colleagues from around the district and the Valley kept in touch on a regular basis, meeting at a small family hamburger joint in north-central Phoenix and swapping stories. The coaches also played golf on occasion and met at a course in the southwest Valley. The attendees likely had to wear high boots with all of the bull-shoot being tossed around.
Wimpy led a long, full life and the athletes he coached, the men he coached with and his long list of friends are richer by having known him.
And those title trophies, wherever they are, are shining a bit brighter today.
- Perry High Sophomore and Arizona State Basketball Commit Markus Howard - Saturday August 30Markus Howard talks about committing to ASU and the upcoming season for Perry High School.
- Xavier Prep Junior and USC Girl's Volleyball Commit Khalia Lanier - Saturday August 30Khalia Lanier talks about the volleyball season and her commitment to USC.
- Basha Head Football Coach Gerald Todd - Saturday August 30Gerald Todd talks about getting their first win of the season against Desert Vista.
- Jim and Mark Sollenberger Brothers of Barry Sollenberger - Saturday August 23Jim and Mark Sollenberger talk about the Sollenberger Classic and what the event means to the Sollen
- August 30, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps recaps week 1 of the AZ HS sports season.
- August 30, 2014 - Hour: 2Arizona Sports Preps 365 recaps week 1 of the Arizona High School sports season.
- August 23, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365 recaps and previews the Sollenberger Classic football games.
- August 23, 2014 - Hour: 2Arizona Sports Preps 365 Recaps and Previews the Sollenberger Classic Game in Las Vegas.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Jim and Craig talk to Chuck Schmidt and Dave Zorn.