Fairfax boys hold off Q. Creek rally, reach hoops title game
Originally published: Jan 3, 2014 - 12:00 am
No one was happier to see the scoreboard clock reach 00:00.0 than coach Josh Wray and his boys basketball team from Laveen Betty H. Fairfax.
The Stampede withstood a furious stampede by Queen Creek in the fourth quarter and held on for a 57-54 victory in a semifinal game of the Phoenix Union High School District Holiday Classic on Friday (Jan. 3) at Phoenix South Mountain.
“We made it close, but the boys worked hard to win it,’’ said Wray, who moves up from the junior-varsity level while last year’s coach, Don Dominguez, serves as a consultant.
Betty H. Fairfax will meet Phoenix Shadow Mountain for the tourney title on Saturday (Jan. 4) at 6 p.m. at South Mountain.
One got the feeling that had Queen Creek had another minute or two, it might have been able to put the finishing touches on its rally.
Betty H. Fairfax had a 55-45 lead with two minutes to play.
Queen Creek got a 3-pointer from Parker Anderson and two baskets from Carter Wilson to get within 55-52 with a little less than a minute left.
A free throw by Andre Slay gave Betty H. Fairfax a 56-52 lead with 16.6 seconds left. Queen Creek was within 56-64 with four seconds left on two free throws by Tanner Tebbs , but Slay hit another free throw with three seconds left to account for the final margin.
“All of Queen Creek’s guys can score, so you have to play good defense,’’ Wray said.
“We rely on how we play at the defensive end, getting those stops, and that helps us set up our transition game.’’
Betty H. Fairfax had three men score in double figures – Rodney Erskin and Michael Morales (11 each) and Tre Polk (10).
Queen Creek got strong play from Carter Wilson (19 points) and Anderson (15).
- Jim and Mark Sollenberger Brothers of Barry Sollenberger - Saturday August 23Jim and Mark Sollenberger talk about the Sollenberger Classic and what the event means to the Sollen
- Station Casino's Co-Founder and UFC Chairman and CEO Lorenzo Fertitta - Saturday August 23Lorenzo Fertitta talks about sponsoring the Sollenberger Classic and the UFC coming to Phoenix.
- AIA Director of Business Media Brian Bolitho - Saturday August 23Brian Bolitho talks about the importance and growth of the Sollenberger Classic.
- Dave Zorn - Saturday June 14Host of the Friday Night Wrap-Up Show, Dave Zorn, joins the show to talk about why he is leaving.
- August 23, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365 recaps and previews the Sollenberger Classic football games.
- August 23, 2014 - Hour: 2Arizona Sports Preps 365 Recaps and Previews the Sollenberger Classic Game in Las Vegas.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Jim and Craig talk to Chuck Schmidt and Dave Zorn.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 1In this hour Jim and Craig talk to 3 TV's Tyler Baldwin and Az Central's Richard Obert.
- June 7, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365, in this hour Sammy Chagolla, Bryce Perkins and Ky Westbrook join the show.