Orange County team tops O'Connor in Arizona Soccer Showcase
Originally published: Dec 31, 2013 - 12:00 am
New year, same Century.
The quality of play by Century High’s boys soccer team seldom varies. That is why the Centurions of Santa Ana, Calif., are one of the top teams in Orange County.
They enter 2014 with momentum gained from a 5-3 victory over Phoenix Sandra Day O’Connor on Tuesday (Dec. 31) in the Black Bracket championship match of the Arizona Soccer Showcase at the Reach 11 complex in north Phoenix.
Other bracket winners – Girls Black: Villa Park, Calif., def. Phoenix Pinnacle 2-0. Boys Maroon: Phoenix Mountain Pointe def. Glendale Copper Canyon in a shootout, 2-1. Girls Maroon: Phoenix Desert Vista def. Mountain Pointe 2-1.
Century’s triumph in the finale was even more noteworthy considering that they were playing with their starting goalkeeper for the second straight day. Edwin Minero suffered a hand injury, Brian Cruz took over and did a solid job.
And many of the players and coaches were dealing with flu-like symptoms that likely got their start at the team hotel, according to head coach Bruce Silverman.
Still, the Centurions pressed on.
They got a quick start with early goals from Brian Orozco and Ronaldo Pineda. They would go on to combine for all of Century’s goals, Pineda with a hat trick and Orozco with two.
Down 3-0 and in danger of being taken out of it, Sandra Day O’Connor found new life late in the first half with a goal by Skylar Meldrum off an assist from Ethan Ramsey.
Sandra Day O’Connor couldn’t connect on a close shot early, and Orozco added to the Eagles’ deficit with his second goal about 15 minutes into the second half.
The teams traded goals after that.
Kory Gilmore scored on a penalty kick for the Eagles, followed by Pineda’s third goal, in which he used a softer touch to get the ball in the net.
Musa Morris scored the final goal for Sandra Day O’Connor.
Century controlled the ball much of the time with its quickness, footwork and accurate passing.
“That’s what you have to do when you don’t have a lot of size like we do,’’ Silverman said. “You can’t be too physical. You just have one or two touches and go.’’
- Perry High Sophomore and Arizona State Basketball Commit Markus Howard - Saturday August 30Markus Howard talks about committing to ASU and the upcoming season for Perry High School.
- Xavier Prep Junior and USC Girl's Volleyball Commit Khalia Lanier - Saturday August 30Khalia Lanier talks about the volleyball season and her commitment to USC.
- Basha Head Football Coach Gerald Todd - Saturday August 30Gerald Todd talks about getting their first win of the season against Desert Vista.
- Jim and Mark Sollenberger Brothers of Barry Sollenberger - Saturday August 23Jim and Mark Sollenberger talk about the Sollenberger Classic and what the event means to the Sollen
- August 30, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps recaps week 1 of the AZ HS sports season.
- August 30, 2014 - Hour: 2Arizona Sports Preps 365 recaps week 1 of the Arizona High School sports season.
- August 23, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365 recaps and previews the Sollenberger Classic football games.
- August 23, 2014 - Hour: 2Arizona Sports Preps 365 Recaps and Previews the Sollenberger Classic Game in Las Vegas.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Jim and Craig talk to Chuck Schmidt and Dave Zorn.