Buckeye High girls build successful basketball formula
Originally published: Dec 27, 2013 - 12:00 am
Some basketball teams talk a lot about playing as a family.
Buckeye High’s girls actually put their words into action.
The flock of high-flying Hawks opened their Buckeye Blue & Gold Tournament with victories over El Mirage Dysart and Surprise Willow Canyon on Friday (Dec. 27).
The tournament continues Saturday (Dec. 28), with the final day and championship game on Monday (Dec. 30).
“We stay together, play together as a family. It’s about having each other’s back,’’ said Buckeye coach Regina Early.
“With us, it doesn’t matter who does the scoring. It’s not about that. It’s about trying to win.’’
One of the things that Early works with her players on is keeping their composure.
“You have to try to stay under control,’’ she said. “You have to forget any frustration you might have, because you’re going to have a new play coming right at you pretty quick.’’
Buckeye has a good balance of shooting, rebounding and ball-handling.
Bailey Wirtzberger hits from long range, 6-foot-3 post player Alliesandra Fuller is a force in the middle and point guard Dallas Jones darts in and out of traffic like a sports car on the freeway.
Buckeye fans were not used to seeing their heroines wearing dark jerseys at home and being listed as the visiting team. That’s what happened against Willow Canyon.
The teams played 20-minute halves with a running clock.
Buckeye had a significant 15-point lead early in the second half and had a 13-0 burst to seal the deal.
Wirtzberger hit back-to-back 3’s and Jones connected from long range, followed by a Jones 2-pointer and a turnaround shot in the lane by Fuller.
The other teams in the tournament are Laveen Cesar Chavez, Tempe McClintock, Phoenix North Pointe Prep, Surprise Shadow Ridge and Buckeye Youngker.
- Paul Lopez - Saturday April 19Mountain Pointe Football and Track Athlete Paul Lucas joins the show.
- Jerry Dawson - Saturday April 19Former Chaparral Baseball Manager Jerry Dawson joins the show.
- Geno Fata - Saturday April 19Geno Fata Account Executive with the Diamondbacks joins the show.
- Jean Boyd - Saturday April 19ASU Associate Senior Athletic Director Jean Boyd joins the show.
- April 19, 2014 - Hour: 1Phoenix Suns Spirit of Cotton Award Winner and Valley Lutheran Head boys’ Basketball coach Robert Ko
- April 19, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Geno Fata, Jerry Dawson and Paul Lucas join the show.
- April 12, 2014 - Hour: 1ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson, Hamilton Head Baseball Coach Mike Woods, and Xavier Sand Volleyb
- April 12, 2014 - Hour: 2U of A Assistant Coach Coach Charlie Ragle and AIA Associate Executive Director Chuck Schmidt join t
- April 5, 2014 - Hour: 1In this hour AIA 365's Les Wilsey joins the show.