PC boys soccer tourney: Bourgade stops Valley Christian
Originally published: Dec 27, 2013 - 12:00 am
The boys soccer team from Phoenix Bourgade Catholic hopes that improvement shown over the final week of 2013 will carry over into the new year.
The Golden Eagles got a big 3-2 win over Chandler Valley Christian to open the Phoenix Christian Invitational and faced host Phoenix Christian later in the day.
“We’re excited to get such a good start. This is our first opportunity to show what we really have,’’ said coach Dave Schonaerts.
It appeared that Bourgade would have it easy, getting first-half goals from Damian Blasek and Michael Rodriguez (off a penalty kick) for a 2-0 lead at intermission.
Valley Christian got back into the match with 25:25 left on the first of two goals by Justin Ree. It came just a few moments after the Trojans’ goalkeeper stopped another penalty kick by Rodriguez.
“We were trying for a 3-0 lead, but it is 2-1 instead and now we’ve got a different game,’’ said Schonaerts.
Rodriguez had another opportunity on a free kick with 21:30 left and this time was able to capitalize, slipping the ball just past the keeper for a 3-1 lead.
Ree scored again on a header with 18:20 left, but Bourgade kept the Trojans silent after that.
“Both teams had their opportunities and we had to capitalize on as many as we could,’’ Schonaerts said. “Both keepers played well. You have to tip your hat to them.’’
Bourgade had some players out due to holiday vacations earlier in the week, and Schonaerts is thankful to have them back.
The tournament continues Saturday (Dec. 28) with the championship match slated for 2 p.m.
- Dave Zorn - Saturday June 14Host of the Friday Night Wrap-Up Show, Dave Zorn, joins the show to talk about why he is leaving.
- Chuck Schmidt - Saturday June 14AIA Executive Director, Chuck Schmidt, joins the show to talk about everything AIA.
- Blake Jackson - Saturday June 7Gilbert High School, Scottsdale Community College and Oklahoma State alum, Blake Jackson joins the s
- Casey Benson - Saturday June 7Three Time State Champion PG for Corona Del Sol, Casey Benson, joins the show.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Jim and Craig talk to Chuck Schmidt and Dave Zorn.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 1In this hour Jim and Craig talk to 3 TV's Tyler Baldwin and Az Central's Richard Obert.
- June 7, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365, in this hour Sammy Chagolla, Bryce Perkins and Ky Westbrook join the show.
- June 7, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Cole Tucker, Casey Benson and Blake Jackson join the show.
- May 31, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365 Show, bringing the latest in high school sports around the state.