Nike TOC: Dobson, Desert Vista prevail to set up showdown
Originally published: Dec 20, 2013 - 12:00 am
Dobson's girls basketball team didn't shoot well and at times didn't take care of the ball as well as it can Friday afternoon in its bid to reach the final of the White Division at the 18th annual Nike Tournament of Champions.
What wasn't missing was another quality defensive effort and the Lady Mustangs rode that to a 43-24 victory over Lynwood High (Calif). at Chandler High School.
Dobson (13-0) advances to play Desert Vista (11-0) in a the White Division championship game. The matchup is Saturday (Dec. 21) at 10:30 a.m. at Hamilton High.
"I know they'll come out and pressure us," Dobson coach Tyler Dumas said of Desert Vista. "I'm excited we get to play them in a game that doesn't count for power points, but is for school pride. I think it's a good matchup that everybody in the state wants to see."
Desert Vista qualified for the final by pounding Vanden High (Fairfield, Calif.), 58-42. The Lady Thunder have won every game they've played by a double-digit margin. Dobson can say the same thing save two games. It won those by eight and nine points.
Dobson and Lynwood played a close first quarter filled with poor shooting and turnovers. Each team made 3 of 14 field goals and committed nine turnovers. Dobson led after one, 8-6. The Lady Mustangs improved their advantage to 20-13 at halftime with both teams shooting under 25 percent from the field (Lynwood just 17 percent) to that point.
In the third period Dobson stretched the lead to 34-21, handling the ball better and still clamping down defensively be it a a zone press, trapping press or good help man-to-man in the half court. Junior Dyesha Stahley took three charges and helped clamp down on Lynwood's leading scorer Jazmine Johnson, Johnson finished with six points (half her average) and fouled out with 2:45 left in the third quarter.
"We were tight at the beginning and I think they were, too," Dumas said. "As poorly as we shot, missing threes and some easy shots, I was still pleased with the defensive effort. It was outstanding. Going forward we need to make better decisions offensively."
Senior guard Tori Lloyd led Dobson with 11 points and junior Alexis Todd chipped in with 10. Senior Miyah Leith added eight points, but she and Lloyd who are usually prolific from 3-point range found the going tough. Lloyd was the only one of the two to sink a three in the game. That came early in the second period. Priscilla Lopez led Lynwood with nine points.
- Lisa Contreras - Saturday March 1Head coach of the Westview girl's basketball team, Lisa Contreras, joins the show.
- Sam Duane - Saturday March 1Corona del Sol Head Coach Sam Duane joins the show.
- James Kirk - Saturday March 1Flagstaff Head Coach James Kirk joins the show.
- Paul Coro - Saturday March 1AZ Central's Paul Coro joins the show.
- March 1, 2014 - Hour: 1Jim Smith, Brian Bolitho and Paul Coro join the show.
- March 1, 2014 - Hour: 2This hour James Kirk, Lisa Contreras and Sam Duane join the show
- February 22, 2014 - Hour: 1In this hour, Michael Carutenuto, Les Wilsey and Jason Skoda join the show.
- February 22, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour of the show we have The Full Court Press and David Hopkinson and Richard Obert also joi
- February 15, 2014 - Hour: 1AIA 365 - Bringing the highest quality on air content covering Arizona and National Prep Athletics.