Scotts. Christian boys shake off cobwebs, defeat Arcadia
Originally published: Dec 19, 2013 - 12:00 am
Maybe they were burned out from studying for final exams this week.
Whatever the reason, the boys from Phoenix Scottsdale Christian Academy were out of sync in the early going of their Horizon Holiday Hoops Invitational on Thursday (Dec. 19) at Phoenix Horizon High.
It was Phoenix Arcadia that was in control most of the first half.
But the daze finally disappeared for Scottsdale Christian and the Eagles came up with a big second half, taking a 64-53 victory.
“We made some plays down the stretch and our guys were getting open,’’ said SCA coach Bob Fredericks. “Our defense also was more focused.’’
One of the big reasons was the second-half play of 6-foot-8 inside man Connor Segneri. He was in foul trouble most of the first half but then became a new man, scoring all of his 15 points, including 10 free throws.
The Eagles also were on target from long range. They hit nine 3-pointers, five of them by Jared frame, who scored 21 points. Corbin Lenderink had three and Segneri one.
Lenderink’s brother, Cole, rushed over from SCA’s 6-2 soccer victory over Glendale Joy Christian in time for basketball and contributed six points.
“He’s done that about four times already and probably will do it some more because we’ve got a pretty good soccer team,’’ Fredericks said.
Segneri had his second foul with 2:47 left in the first quarter and was on the bench most of the rest of the first half.
“We can’t afford to have him get two early fouls like that,’’ Fredericks said. “It’s a big difference when we have him on the floor.’’
Segneri began the third quarter with a 3-pointer to tie it at 25, Frame followed with another trey and the Eagles started to get their act together.
The game was tied at 46 about halfway through the fourth. Frame hit another from long range and Corbin Lenderink connected, and SCA was not threatened after that.
SCA converted 10 of 11 free throws in the final 3:02.
The eight-team tournament continues Friday (Dec. 20) with games at 3 p.m., 4:45, 6:30 and 8:15. There are four more games on Saturday (Dec. 21), including the championship game at 5:15 p.m.
- Perry High Sophomore and Arizona State Basketball Commit Markus Howard - Saturday August 30Markus Howard talks about committing to ASU and the upcoming season for Perry High School.
- Xavier Prep Junior and USC Girl's Volleyball Commit Khalia Lanier - Saturday August 30Khalia Lanier talks about the volleyball season and her commitment to USC.
- Basha Head Football Coach Gerald Todd - Saturday August 30Gerald Todd talks about getting their first win of the season against Desert Vista.
- Jim and Mark Sollenberger Brothers of Barry Sollenberger - Saturday August 23Jim and Mark Sollenberger talk about the Sollenberger Classic and what the event means to the Sollen
- August 30, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps recaps week 1 of the AZ HS sports season.
- August 30, 2014 - Hour: 2Arizona Sports Preps 365 recaps week 1 of the Arizona High School sports season.
- August 23, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365 recaps and previews the Sollenberger Classic football games.
- August 23, 2014 - Hour: 2Arizona Sports Preps 365 Recaps and Previews the Sollenberger Classic Game in Las Vegas.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Jim and Craig talk to Chuck Schmidt and Dave Zorn.