Scotts. Christian boys shake off cobwebs, defeat Arcadia
Originally published: Dec 19, 2013 - 12:00 am
Maybe they were burned out from studying for final exams this week.
Whatever the reason, the boys from Phoenix Scottsdale Christian Academy were out of sync in the early going of their Horizon Holiday Hoops Invitational on Thursday (Dec. 19) at Phoenix Horizon High.
It was Phoenix Arcadia that was in control most of the first half.
But the daze finally disappeared for Scottsdale Christian and the Eagles came up with a big second half, taking a 64-53 victory.
“We made some plays down the stretch and our guys were getting open,’’ said SCA coach Bob Fredericks. “Our defense also was more focused.’’
One of the big reasons was the second-half play of 6-foot-8 inside man Connor Segneri. He was in foul trouble most of the first half but then became a new man, scoring all of his 15 points, including 10 free throws.
The Eagles also were on target from long range. They hit nine 3-pointers, five of them by Jared frame, who scored 21 points. Corbin Lenderink had three and Segneri one.
Lenderink’s brother, Cole, rushed over from SCA’s 6-2 soccer victory over Glendale Joy Christian in time for basketball and contributed six points.
“He’s done that about four times already and probably will do it some more because we’ve got a pretty good soccer team,’’ Fredericks said.
Segneri had his second foul with 2:47 left in the first quarter and was on the bench most of the rest of the first half.
“We can’t afford to have him get two early fouls like that,’’ Fredericks said. “It’s a big difference when we have him on the floor.’’
Segneri began the third quarter with a 3-pointer to tie it at 25, Frame followed with another trey and the Eagles started to get their act together.
The game was tied at 46 about halfway through the fourth. Frame hit another from long range and Corbin Lenderink connected, and SCA was not threatened after that.
SCA converted 10 of 11 free throws in the final 3:02.
The eight-team tournament continues Friday (Dec. 20) with games at 3 p.m., 4:45, 6:30 and 8:15. There are four more games on Saturday (Dec. 21), including the championship game at 5:15 p.m.
- Paul Lopez - Saturday April 19Mountain Pointe Football and Track Athlete Paul Lucas joins the show.
- Jerry Dawson - Saturday April 19Former Chaparral Baseball Manager Jerry Dawson joins the show.
- Geno Fata - Saturday April 19Geno Fata Account Executive with the Diamondbacks joins the show.
- Jean Boyd - Saturday April 19ASU Associate Senior Athletic Director Jean Boyd joins the show.
- April 19, 2014 - Hour: 1Phoenix Suns Spirit of Cotton Award Winner and Valley Lutheran Head boys’ Basketball coach Robert Ko
- April 19, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Geno Fata, Jerry Dawson and Paul Lucas join the show.
- April 12, 2014 - Hour: 1ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson, Hamilton Head Baseball Coach Mike Woods, and Xavier Sand Volleyb
- April 12, 2014 - Hour: 2U of A Assistant Coach Coach Charlie Ragle and AIA Associate Executive Director Chuck Schmidt join t
- April 5, 2014 - Hour: 1In this hour AIA 365's Les Wilsey joins the show.