Notes: FB coaches on the move; long-time Prescott ump dies
Originally published: Dec 19, 2013 - 12:00 am
Cleaning out the notebook for Phoenix and the west and north Valley and northern Arizona . . .
A pair of well-known football coaches in the Valley are changing addresses.
According to azcentral.com, Phoenix Paradise Valley’s Donnie Yantis is moving on to become the leader of the brand-new NAIA program at nearby Arizona Christian University.
Yantis led PV for 14 seasons, winning nearly 100 games and putting a very competitive team on the field virtually every year.
Also, Kelley Moore has left Mesa High and has landed across the Valley at Buckeye High.
I first met Moore when he was head coach at Glendale Independence and he always seemed to have things in the proper perspective, helping his players become well-rounded young men in academics and life in general while competing on the field.
He will replace long-time Buckeye coach Bobby Barnes, who resigned and is moving back to Oklahoma to take care of ailing relatives.
Thanks for all your hard work, Bobby, and good luck to Yantis and Moore with their new assignments.
Umpire passes away
The state’s high school and youth league umpiring community suffered a big loss on Sunday (Dec. 15) with the death of Jeff Cook, 58, who umpired contests in the Prescott and Prescott Valley areas for about 20 years.
Cook is survived by his wife and son and other relatives in the Phoenix and Seattle areas.
Funeral services for Cook will be held at 11 a.m. on Saturday (Dec. 21), at Canyon Bible Church, 8075 N. Prescott Ridge Road, off Highway 89A in Prescott Valley.
Cook also served as an umpire at college and junior-college levels and was helpful in the development of younger umpires along the way.
- Dave Zorn - Saturday June 14Host of the Friday Night Wrap-Up Show, Dave Zorn, joins the show to talk about why he is leaving.
- Chuck Schmidt - Saturday June 14AIA Executive Director, Chuck Schmidt, joins the show to talk about everything AIA.
- Blake Jackson - Saturday June 7Gilbert High School, Scottsdale Community College and Oklahoma State alum, Blake Jackson joins the s
- Casey Benson - Saturday June 7Three Time State Champion PG for Corona Del Sol, Casey Benson, joins the show.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Jim and Craig talk to Chuck Schmidt and Dave Zorn.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 1In this hour Jim and Craig talk to 3 TV's Tyler Baldwin and Az Central's Richard Obert.
- June 7, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365, in this hour Sammy Chagolla, Bryce Perkins and Ky Westbrook join the show.
- June 7, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Cole Tucker, Casey Benson and Blake Jackson join the show.
- May 31, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365 Show, bringing the latest in high school sports around the state.