Saguaro girls starting to return to hoops championship form
Originally published: Dec 18, 2013 - 12:00 am
The girls basketball season did not start out the way that Scottsdale Saguaro would have liked.
The Sabercats had little resemblance to the team that won the Division II championship a year ago. They struggled in the (Gilbert) Highland Tournament and were 2-3 in their first five games.
Then things started to turn around. Saguaro has gone on a six-game winning streak, including a 63-50 victory over visiting Phoenix Thunderbird on Wednesday night (Dec. 18), and is now 8-3.
“It’s nice to see things coming together and see us play the way we are capable of playing,’’ said coach Chris Young.
Saguaro got a 22-point first quarter and led by 10 points entering the second, but Young did not like the way his team was playing defense.
The defense picked up in the second half, and that helped Saguaro maintain its advantage.
One of the keys for the Sabercats was the defensive effort of Casey Rarrick on Thunderbird sharpshooter Ann Shikles.
Shikles scored 13 points in the first half, including three 3-pointers, but scored just two points after intermission, those coming on free throws.
“We played defense much better in the second half,’’ Young said. “Casey did a good job, and Jelani Huma did a great job knocking the ball away when they tried the pick and roll.’’
Saguaro had four players score in double figures.
Rarrick led the way with 18 points, including three 3-pointers. Huma had 15, including 13 in the second half. Post Naomi Reyes had 11 and Amber Rollins had 10.
Ozahria Fisher was the top scorer for Thunderbird (7-6) with 16 points and Shikles had 15.
“We only lost one player who had a lot of playing time last year, so everybody else is back and that’s good,’’ Young said. “We just need to keep improving.’’
- Paul Lopez - Saturday April 19Mountain Pointe Football and Track Athlete Paul Lucas joins the show.
- Jerry Dawson - Saturday April 19Former Chaparral Baseball Manager Jerry Dawson joins the show.
- Geno Fata - Saturday April 19Geno Fata Account Executive with the Diamondbacks joins the show.
- Jean Boyd - Saturday April 19ASU Associate Senior Athletic Director Jean Boyd joins the show.
- April 19, 2014 - Hour: 1Phoenix Suns Spirit of Cotton Award Winner and Valley Lutheran Head boys’ Basketball coach Robert Ko
- April 19, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Geno Fata, Jerry Dawson and Paul Lucas join the show.
- April 12, 2014 - Hour: 1ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson, Hamilton Head Baseball Coach Mike Woods, and Xavier Sand Volleyb
- April 12, 2014 - Hour: 2U of A Assistant Coach Coach Charlie Ragle and AIA Associate Executive Director Chuck Schmidt join t
- April 5, 2014 - Hour: 1In this hour AIA 365's Les Wilsey joins the show.