Title matches set for boys, girls Diablos Soccer Classic
Originally published: Dec 12, 2013 - 12:00 am
Bri Hatch scored off a corner kick in the final three minutes Thursday night to give Highland's girls a 2-1 victory over Desert Vista in a semifinal match at the Bill Vanney-Tempe Diablos Soccer Classic at Tempe Sports Complex.
Hatch managed to convert the game-winner off a corner from Jackie Strom. Highland also scored in the final minute or two of the first half with Tori Rinsem doing the honors. That tied the match at intermission.
Desert Vista (3-3) scored earlier in the first half with midfielder Brooke Leftwich giving her team its only lead. The teams met last week in a power-point match that Highland prevailed in, 3-2. Highland scored late in the match in that one for the victory.
Highland (5-0) plays for the championship Friday (Dec. 13) at 6 p.m. at Tempe Sports Complex against Hamilton (6-0-1). Hamilton used a late goal in the first half by Kylie Miniefield to edge rival Chandler, 1-0. Chandler dropped to 2-4 on the season, losing both game in the tournament by scores of 1-0.
In the boys tournament, Chandler (6-0) and Hamilton (7-0) were both dominant in winning semifinal matches over Gilbert and Desert Vista, respectively. Hamilton and Chandler meet Friday (Dec. 13) at 6 p.m. also at Tempe Sports Complex.
Chandler got a goal in each half from AB Hurtado and one in the first half from Pablo Hernandez in blanking previously unbeaten Gilbert, 3-0. Hamilton played its match pretty much at its end of the field in turning back Desert Vista, 2-0. Gilbert is now 6-1 and Desert Vista dropped to 2-4.
The Huskies scored on a missle by Gabe Para-Munoz in the 28th minute. The Huskies added one their second goal in teh 59th minute with Connor Follet tallying off a nice pass from Sam Mazzola. Desert Vista keeper Tim O'Brien kept the score from being a couple goal more with several outstanding saves.
- Paul Lopez - Saturday April 19Mountain Pointe Football and Track Athlete Paul Lucas joins the show.
- Jerry Dawson - Saturday April 19Former Chaparral Baseball Manager Jerry Dawson joins the show.
- Geno Fata - Saturday April 19Geno Fata Account Executive with the Diamondbacks joins the show.
- Jean Boyd - Saturday April 19ASU Associate Senior Athletic Director Jean Boyd joins the show.
- April 19, 2014 - Hour: 1Phoenix Suns Spirit of Cotton Award Winner and Valley Lutheran Head boys’ Basketball coach Robert Ko
- April 19, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Geno Fata, Jerry Dawson and Paul Lucas join the show.
- April 12, 2014 - Hour: 1ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson, Hamilton Head Baseball Coach Mike Woods, and Xavier Sand Volleyb
- April 12, 2014 - Hour: 2U of A Assistant Coach Coach Charlie Ragle and AIA Associate Executive Director Chuck Schmidt join t
- April 5, 2014 - Hour: 1In this hour AIA 365's Les Wilsey joins the show.