Tolleson regroups after slow start
Originally published: Dec 11, 2013 - 12:00 am
For a team that has aspirations of winning a state title this season, Tolleson’s boys soccer team sure didn’t play the part of a state title contender Wednesday night.
Tolleson’s slow start against a worthy opponent, Phoenix Trevor Browne, led to some sloppy play in the first half. But after a halftime pep talk by coach Benjamin Andronic, Tolleson emerged a different team.
The same can be said about Trevor Browne. The pace of the match and scoring opportunities picked up for both squads as soon as the second 40-minute half started.
But Tolleson registered the only goal of the game, which forward Adam Adoyi delivered. For being a tall player, Adoyi has a nice first touch, and that first step helped him give his team a 1-0 home victory.
Joel Burgos’ set up the scoring play with his run up the middle before finding Adoyi, who dribbled to his left to find the angle he wanted in order to beat the goalkeeper from about 10 yards. Adoyi is a starter, but a knee injury forced him to start on the bench against Trevor Browne.
But after the first 10 minutes of the game elapsed, Andronic signaled for Adoyi to warm up. Losing a tournament championship game on Saturday to Ironwood is the reason why Tolleson didn’t perform well in the first half on Wednesday, Adoyi said.
On Wednesday, Tolleson was apparently still fuming about that loss, but Andronic snapped his team out of it.
“That halftime speech by coach motivated us,” Adoyi said.
Tolleson can’t afford to waste the first 40 minutes in its next game.
That’s because the defending Division I state champ, Brophy, which defeated Tolleson in the state semifinals the past two seasons, will visit Tolleson on Thursday. Also, if it lines up for a penalty kick like it did on Wednesday, Tolleson might need to convert against Brophy.
Trevor Brown goalkeeper Oswaldo Machado guessed correctly after blocking a Tolleson penalty kick in the second half.
“Our midfield play was unselfish today,” Trevor Browne coach Jeffrey Scofield said. “We got everything we wanted except for our shots going in.”
- Dave Zorn - Saturday June 14Host of the Friday Night Wrap-Up Show, Dave Zorn, joins the show to talk about why he is leaving.
- Chuck Schmidt - Saturday June 14AIA Executive Director, Chuck Schmidt, joins the show to talk about everything AIA.
- Blake Jackson - Saturday June 7Gilbert High School, Scottsdale Community College and Oklahoma State alum, Blake Jackson joins the s
- Casey Benson - Saturday June 7Three Time State Champion PG for Corona Del Sol, Casey Benson, joins the show.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Jim and Craig talk to Chuck Schmidt and Dave Zorn.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 1In this hour Jim and Craig talk to 3 TV's Tyler Baldwin and Az Central's Richard Obert.
- June 7, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365, in this hour Sammy Chagolla, Bryce Perkins and Ky Westbrook join the show.
- June 7, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Cole Tucker, Casey Benson and Blake Jackson join the show.
- May 31, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365 Show, bringing the latest in high school sports around the state.