Sunnyslope boys survive hoops encounter with Chaparral
Originally published: Dec 11, 2013 - 12:00 am
Coach Ray Portela’s Phoenix Sunnyslope boys basketball team remained unbeaten Wednesday night (Dec. 11), but it didn’t seem like it.
Visiting Scottsdale Chaparral gave the Vikings all they could handle and then some before Sunnyslope escaped with an emotionally draining 60-56 victory.
Sunnyslope climbed to 7-0, while Chaparral slipped to 5-3.
“We didn’t play very well, especially in the first half,’’ Portela said. “We seemed lethargic. We didn’t have a lot of discipline, we didn’t run back, didn’t get back on defense. You have to give Chaparral all the credit in the world. They did a good job of moving the ball around, shooting the ball.’’
Chaparral had a 37-34 lead at halftime in the physical contest with playoff-type intensity. It was tied at 47 after three quarters, and then Sunnyslope’s Michael Humphrey stepped up his game.
He scored six of his game-high 20 points in the fourth quarter and grabbed some key rebounds. Senior guard Ari Stern also came through by converting five of six free throws.
“That’s the type of game we want from him (Humphrey),’’ Portela said.
Sunnyslope had four men score in double figures – Humphrey, Sdammy Barnes-Thompkins (14 points) and Stern and Navareio Holmes (11 each).
“We did a better job late in the game,’’ Portela said. “We did what we had to do, tightened the screws (defensively).’’
Playing against Chaparral always is a challenge, Portela added.
“A lot of people from both schools know each other. They always seem to give us a good game,’’ he said.
Coach Dan Peterson’s Firebirds are constantly in motion, with and without the ball. They usually get good position defensively and often reach in at just the right moment to knock the ball away.
Chaparral had three players score in double figures. Senior Shane Cooper led the way with 17 points, including four 3-pointers. Junior Kenzo Nudo had 12 and junior Ryan Bayster had 10.
- Dave Zorn - Saturday June 14Host of the Friday Night Wrap-Up Show, Dave Zorn, joins the show to talk about why he is leaving.
- Chuck Schmidt - Saturday June 14AIA Executive Director, Chuck Schmidt, joins the show to talk about everything AIA.
- Blake Jackson - Saturday June 7Gilbert High School, Scottsdale Community College and Oklahoma State alum, Blake Jackson joins the s
- Casey Benson - Saturday June 7Three Time State Champion PG for Corona Del Sol, Casey Benson, joins the show.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Jim and Craig talk to Chuck Schmidt and Dave Zorn.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 1In this hour Jim and Craig talk to 3 TV's Tyler Baldwin and Az Central's Richard Obert.
- June 7, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365, in this hour Sammy Chagolla, Bryce Perkins and Ky Westbrook join the show.
- June 7, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Cole Tucker, Casey Benson and Blake Jackson join the show.
- May 31, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365 Show, bringing the latest in high school sports around the state.