Phx. Christian girls win, gain valuable hoops experience
Originally published: Dec 6, 2013 - 12:00 am
Playing in a competitive division and section (Division IV, Section V) will require every drop of energy, every second of focus for the girls basketball team from Phoenix Christian Prep to survive.
That is why it is important to play in holiday tournaments, to allow as many players to get as much experience as possible before the Cougars enter the heart of their schedule.
They accomplished their goal in the first of two games on Friday (Dec. 6) in their Holiday Hoops Tournament.
A 44-26 victory over Phoenix Northwest Christian enabled PC coach Bruce Consier to use many of his young players. The Cougars (4-1 entering the day’s second game against Glendale Copper Canyon) had a balanced scoring effort, led by junior Dinah Watson’s 12 points. Leah Janes and Mariah Leary each scored eight.
Consier was encouraged by his team’s play on Friday. He even had four junior-varsity players see action.
The team’s first order of business is defense.
“We have a good defense and decent speed,’’ he said. “We have to keep that pressure on the other teams.’’
Watson scored six points in the first quarter as PC jumped to a 16-2 lead after the first eight minutes. It was 26-6 at the half.
Northwest Christian got untracked a bit in the third quarter, pulling within 36-20, but PC went on a 6-0 run to begin the fourth to douse any hopes the Crusaders had for a comeback. Northwest Christian also played the day’s early game and fell to Tucson Amphitheater.
PC also showed patience on offense, passing the ball around the perimeter and waiting for players to make their cuts to the basket.
- Paul Lopez - Saturday April 19Mountain Pointe Football and Track Athlete Paul Lucas joins the show.
- Jerry Dawson - Saturday April 19Former Chaparral Baseball Manager Jerry Dawson joins the show.
- Geno Fata - Saturday April 19Geno Fata Account Executive with the Diamondbacks joins the show.
- Jean Boyd - Saturday April 19ASU Associate Senior Athletic Director Jean Boyd joins the show.
- April 19, 2014 - Hour: 1Phoenix Suns Spirit of Cotton Award Winner and Valley Lutheran Head boys’ Basketball coach Robert Ko
- April 19, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Geno Fata, Jerry Dawson and Paul Lucas join the show.
- April 12, 2014 - Hour: 1ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson, Hamilton Head Baseball Coach Mike Woods, and Xavier Sand Volleyb
- April 12, 2014 - Hour: 2U of A Assistant Coach Coach Charlie Ragle and AIA Associate Executive Director Chuck Schmidt join t
- April 5, 2014 - Hour: 1In this hour AIA 365's Les Wilsey joins the show.