Pima girls roll past Scottsdale Christian in holiday hoops
Originally published: Dec 6, 2013 - 12:00 am
Just because you have a young team doesn’t mean you can’t win a basketball game.
Case in point: the girls from Pima High.
The Lady Roughriders have one returning regular player this season and underclassmen dominate the roster.
But they have shown signs of meshing into a successful unit, as evidenced by their 55-30 victory over Phoenix Scottsdale Christian early on Friday (Dec. 6) in the Phoenix Christian Holiday Hoops Tournament.
Pima (2-2) defeated Avondale La Joya in the first day of play on Thursday (Dec. 5) and was to face Kearny Ray later Friday.
“We’re young, but our team has a lot of upside. We have good athleticism,’’ said Carole Anne Weech, in her first season coaching the varsity after 14 seasons leading the school’s junior-varsity program.
“We hope to be in the mix in our section (Division IV, Section II) along with (Tucson) Desert Christian and St. David by the end of the season,’’ Weech said.
Sophomore Callie Thygerson was the leading scorer against Scottsdale Christian, totaling 21 points, including three three-point baskets. Senior Kalia Blair was next with nine points.
Pima applied defensive pressure from the start, and that put Scottsdale Christian in a 19-6 hole after the end of the first quarter. The Roughriders constantly knocked the ball away or stepped into the passing lanes for the steal.
“It all starts with the defense. Our offense is our defense, sets us up to score,’’ Weech said.
Pima increased its lead to 31-12 by halftime and maintained its sizable advantage the rest of the way.
Scottsdale Christian also has a young group, and the Eagles also showed glimpses of being a formidable opponent in the future.
Freshman Jacqueline Iafrate had a strong game with 14 points. Junior Faith Gatling is capable of developing into a tough inside player. She scored five points, as did Phoebe Sherman.
- Chuck Schmidt - Saturday April 12AIA Associate Executive Director Chuck Schmidt joins the show.
- Charlie Ragle - Saturday April 12U of A Assistant Coach and Tight Ends Coach Charlie Ragle joins the show.
- Matt Rogers - Saturday April 12Xavier Head Sand Volleyball Coach Matt Rogers joins the show.
- Mike Woods - Saturday April 12Hamilton Head Baseball Coach Mike Woods joins the show.
- April 12, 2014 - Hour: 1ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson, Hamilton Head Baseball Coach Mike Woods, and Xavier Sand Volleyb
- April 12, 2014 - Hour: 2U of A Assistant Coach Coach Charlie Ragle and AIA Associate Executive Director Chuck Schmidt join t
- April 5, 2014 - Hour: 1In this hour AIA 365's Les Wilsey joins the show.
- April 5, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Michael Rabasca, Ky Westbrook, and Richard Obert join the show.
- March 29, 2014 - Hour: 1Eric Kibler and Justin Allen join the show.