Second-half goal lifts Boulder Creek girls past Notre Dame
Originally published: Dec 5, 2013 - 12:00 am
Anthem Boulder Creek isn’t quite there yet, but the Jaguars are working hard to put themselves in position to challenge for the Division I girls soccer championship.
They defeated Flagstaff and Scottsdale Chaparral in the early rounds of the Horizon Tournament at the Reach 11 Complex in north Phoenix, and on Thursday (Dec. 5) battled Division II power Scottsdale Notre Dame Prep.
It was a tug-of-war in the first half as the teams were scoreless. It was more of the same in the second half, but Boulder Creek broke through for a goal by sophomore Madison Rasimas with about 13 minutes left and the Jaguars held on for a 1-0 victory.
Rasimas’ shot wasn’t of the power variety, but a looping shot that went over the goalkeeper’s head and into the back of the net.
Notre Dame got close with about four minutes left on a shot that was just wide and to the left of the goal, and the Saints made another late push but couldn’t get the ball in.
Boulder Creek coach Natalie Schmidke was pleased with the way her players persevered.
She said Rasimas’ goal “was just how we like it. It didn’t matter how, just so long as we got the goal and the win.’’
“Playing in this tournament has been good for us. We didn’t have much of a chance to scrimmage before the season started, so we had to come into this and work as a unit as best we could. We started rough in some ways, but we are starting to jell.’’
Boulder Creek junior midfielder Kyle Escobedo and junior forward Natalie Stephens also stood out, Escobedo in particular with her speed.
Notre Dame appears as if it will contend for a title. Michelle Mahoney had a strong effort against Boulder Creek.
Semifinals in the various brackets will be held on Friday (Dec. 6) at 6 p.m. at Reach 11. Four bracket finals will be played on Saturday (Dec. 7) at Phoenix Horizon High. Times are 12 noon, 2 p.m., 4 p.m. and 6 p.m.
- Dave Zorn - Saturday June 14Host of the Friday Night Wrap-Up Show, Dave Zorn, joins the show to talk about why he is leaving.
- Chuck Schmidt - Saturday June 14AIA Executive Director, Chuck Schmidt, joins the show to talk about everything AIA.
- Blake Jackson - Saturday June 7Gilbert High School, Scottsdale Community College and Oklahoma State alum, Blake Jackson joins the s
- Casey Benson - Saturday June 7Three Time State Champion PG for Corona Del Sol, Casey Benson, joins the show.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Jim and Craig talk to Chuck Schmidt and Dave Zorn.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 1In this hour Jim and Craig talk to 3 TV's Tyler Baldwin and Az Central's Richard Obert.
- June 7, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365, in this hour Sammy Chagolla, Bryce Perkins and Ky Westbrook join the show.
- June 7, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Cole Tucker, Casey Benson and Blake Jackson join the show.
- May 31, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365 Show, bringing the latest in high school sports around the state.