Second-half goal lifts Boulder Creek girls past Notre Dame
Originally published: Dec 5, 2013 - 12:00 am
Anthem Boulder Creek isn’t quite there yet, but the Jaguars are working hard to put themselves in position to challenge for the Division I girls soccer championship.
They defeated Flagstaff and Scottsdale Chaparral in the early rounds of the Horizon Tournament at the Reach 11 Complex in north Phoenix, and on Thursday (Dec. 5) battled Division II power Scottsdale Notre Dame Prep.
It was a tug-of-war in the first half as the teams were scoreless. It was more of the same in the second half, but Boulder Creek broke through for a goal by sophomore Madison Rasimas with about 13 minutes left and the Jaguars held on for a 1-0 victory.
Rasimas’ shot wasn’t of the power variety, but a looping shot that went over the goalkeeper’s head and into the back of the net.
Notre Dame got close with about four minutes left on a shot that was just wide and to the left of the goal, and the Saints made another late push but couldn’t get the ball in.
Boulder Creek coach Natalie Schmidke was pleased with the way her players persevered.
She said Rasimas’ goal “was just how we like it. It didn’t matter how, just so long as we got the goal and the win.’’
“Playing in this tournament has been good for us. We didn’t have much of a chance to scrimmage before the season started, so we had to come into this and work as a unit as best we could. We started rough in some ways, but we are starting to jell.’’
Boulder Creek junior midfielder Kyle Escobedo and junior forward Natalie Stephens also stood out, Escobedo in particular with her speed.
Notre Dame appears as if it will contend for a title. Michelle Mahoney had a strong effort against Boulder Creek.
Semifinals in the various brackets will be held on Friday (Dec. 6) at 6 p.m. at Reach 11. Four bracket finals will be played on Saturday (Dec. 7) at Phoenix Horizon High. Times are 12 noon, 2 p.m., 4 p.m. and 6 p.m.
- Paul Lopez - Saturday April 19Mountain Pointe Football and Track Athlete Paul Lucas joins the show.
- Jerry Dawson - Saturday April 19Former Chaparral Baseball Manager Jerry Dawson joins the show.
- Geno Fata - Saturday April 19Geno Fata Account Executive with the Diamondbacks joins the show.
- Jean Boyd - Saturday April 19ASU Associate Senior Athletic Director Jean Boyd joins the show.
- April 19, 2014 - Hour: 1Phoenix Suns Spirit of Cotton Award Winner and Valley Lutheran Head boys’ Basketball coach Robert Ko
- April 19, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Geno Fata, Jerry Dawson and Paul Lucas join the show.
- April 12, 2014 - Hour: 1ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson, Hamilton Head Baseball Coach Mike Woods, and Xavier Sand Volleyb
- April 12, 2014 - Hour: 2U of A Assistant Coach Coach Charlie Ragle and AIA Associate Executive Director Chuck Schmidt join t
- April 5, 2014 - Hour: 1In this hour AIA 365's Les Wilsey joins the show.