Second-half goal lifts Boulder Creek girls past Notre Dame
Originally published: Dec 5, 2013 - 12:00 am
Anthem Boulder Creek isn’t quite there yet, but the Jaguars are working hard to put themselves in position to challenge for the Division I girls soccer championship.
They defeated Flagstaff and Scottsdale Chaparral in the early rounds of the Horizon Tournament at the Reach 11 Complex in north Phoenix, and on Thursday (Dec. 5) battled Division II power Scottsdale Notre Dame Prep.
It was a tug-of-war in the first half as the teams were scoreless. It was more of the same in the second half, but Boulder Creek broke through for a goal by sophomore Madison Rasimas with about 13 minutes left and the Jaguars held on for a 1-0 victory.
Rasimas’ shot wasn’t of the power variety, but a looping shot that went over the goalkeeper’s head and into the back of the net.
Notre Dame got close with about four minutes left on a shot that was just wide and to the left of the goal, and the Saints made another late push but couldn’t get the ball in.
Boulder Creek coach Natalie Schmidke was pleased with the way her players persevered.
She said Rasimas’ goal “was just how we like it. It didn’t matter how, just so long as we got the goal and the win.’’
“Playing in this tournament has been good for us. We didn’t have much of a chance to scrimmage before the season started, so we had to come into this and work as a unit as best we could. We started rough in some ways, but we are starting to jell.’’
Boulder Creek junior midfielder Kyle Escobedo and junior forward Natalie Stephens also stood out, Escobedo in particular with her speed.
Notre Dame appears as if it will contend for a title. Michelle Mahoney had a strong effort against Boulder Creek.
Semifinals in the various brackets will be held on Friday (Dec. 6) at 6 p.m. at Reach 11. Four bracket finals will be played on Saturday (Dec. 7) at Phoenix Horizon High. Times are 12 noon, 2 p.m., 4 p.m. and 6 p.m.
- Lisa Contreras - Saturday March 1Head coach of the Westview girl's basketball team, Lisa Contreras, joins the show.
- Sam Duane - Saturday March 1Corona del Sol Head Coach Sam Duane joins the show.
- James Kirk - Saturday March 1Flagstaff Head Coach James Kirk joins the show.
- Paul Coro - Saturday March 1AZ Central's Paul Coro joins the show.
- March 1, 2014 - Hour: 1Jim Smith, Brian Bolitho and Paul Coro join the show.
- March 1, 2014 - Hour: 2This hour James Kirk, Lisa Contreras and Sam Duane join the show
- February 22, 2014 - Hour: 1In this hour, Michael Carutenuto, Les Wilsey and Jason Skoda join the show.
- February 22, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour of the show we have The Full Court Press and David Hopkinson and Richard Obert also joi
- February 15, 2014 - Hour: 1AIA 365 - Bringing the highest quality on air content covering Arizona and National Prep Athletics.