Down 2-0, NW Christian storms back to earn VB title in D-IV
Originally published: Nov 9, 2013 - 12:00 am
PRESCOTT VALLEY – Saturday night’s (Nov. 9) Division IV girls volleyball championship match was billed as one for the ages, between Phoenix Northwest Christian and Phoenix Veritas Prep, the top two seeds.
That’s exactly what it was.
Veritas was in control, winning the first two sets. But Northwest Christian somehow reached down deep to win the third set, and the momentum shifted. Veritas could not stop it. Northwest Christian won Game 4 and scored the final eight points of Game 5 to take the match and the title at Tim’s Toyota Center.
Scores were 19-25, 19-25, 25-22, 25-11 and 15-10.
Northwest Christian coach Beth Lemke, who led her team to a runner-up finish last season after winning it all in 2011, said her team came into this match a bit tentative.
The Crusaders appeared somewhat lifeless, but seemed to wake up in Game 3.
Asked what she told her team, before the third game, Lemke said, “ “We need to depend on each other.’ That’s all you can ask. We have seven seniors and there is no quit in them. They took the young ones under their wing.’’
Veritas had come in having won three straight championships in Class 1A/Division V and four of the last five before the move to D-IV. The Falcons featured senior outside hitter Sarah Sponcil, a two-time Small Schools Player of the Year by The Arizona Republic.
Sponcil was dominant, particularly in the early going.
“Sarah Sponcil is a great player and their coaching staff is very good,’’ Lemke said. “They know the game very well and they knew where to play her and what to do. We tried to counter that as best we could.’’
Northwest Christian had swept Veritas twice during the season, 3-0 at home and 2-0 at the Goldwater Festival. Still, nothing was a given, as the first two games on Saturday night showed.
Senior Alexis Patterson and junior Jemina Carrizosa countered Sponcil with strong work along the net, and they came up with some key serves.
It appeared that Veritas had finally stopped the bleeding in Game 5, taking a 10-7 lead on the strength of a Sponcil kill.
Northwest Christian got a couple of kills to pull closer, and a Veritas block that went out of bounds allowed Northwest Christian to take an 11-10 edge. Another Northwest Christian kill ensued and it was only a matter of time at that point. Carrizosa had aces in two of the final three points, including the one to decide the match.
By the end, Veritas had run out of energy.
“We played our hearts out early,’’ said Veritas coach Wes Goodwin.
“Then our “youngness’ became a factor and I think we became a little frustrated. We used every drop of energy that we could.’’
Early in the season, Goodwin wasn’t certain how to assess the D-IV field, having played very few of the teams. But he knew they were good.
“I knew there would be about 10 teams, that if they went on a run, they were capable of winning it. Whoever was going to win was going to have to earn it, and they (Northwest Christian) earned it,’’ he said.
- Perry High Sophomore and Arizona State Basketball Commit Markus Howard - Saturday August 30Markus Howard talks about committing to ASU and the upcoming season for Perry High School.
- Xavier Prep Junior and USC Girl's Volleyball Commit Khalia Lanier - Saturday August 30Khalia Lanier talks about the volleyball season and her commitment to USC.
- Basha Head Football Coach Gerald Todd - Saturday August 30Gerald Todd talks about getting their first win of the season against Desert Vista.
- Jim and Mark Sollenberger Brothers of Barry Sollenberger - Saturday August 23Jim and Mark Sollenberger talk about the Sollenberger Classic and what the event means to the Sollen
- August 30, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps recaps week 1 of the AZ HS sports season.
- August 30, 2014 - Hour: 2Arizona Sports Preps 365 recaps week 1 of the Arizona High School sports season.
- August 23, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365 recaps and previews the Sollenberger Classic football games.
- August 23, 2014 - Hour: 2Arizona Sports Preps 365 Recaps and Previews the Sollenberger Classic Game in Las Vegas.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Jim and Craig talk to Chuck Schmidt and Dave Zorn.