Division 1 Playoff Game
Originally published: Nov 8, 2013 - 12:00 am
If the old saying of defense wins championships is true then the Hamilton Huskies have taken a step in the right direction. They open defense of their state title with a 35-9 victory over the Millenium Tigers. After missing a field goal on their opening drive the Huskies forced Millenium to punt. They were stopped on downs offensively and forced another Millenium punt and this time a bad snap was kicked out of the end zone for a safety. Hamilton was stopped again offensively when they got the ball back and they too had a bad snap that was kicked out of bounds and we were tied at 2-2. The rest of the second quarter belonged to Hamilton. Morris Kroma retuned a punt 65 yards for a score and the two point conversion put the Huskies up 10-2. Two more safeties along with a 57 yard touchdown pass from Sam Sasso to Elijah Williams and a 1 yard touchdown run by Tyrell Smith gave Hamilton a 28-2 lead at halftime.
Jerrion Acles 2 yard touchdown run in the third period capped the scoring for the Huskies who allowed the the Tigers just 16 total yards and saw Qualen Cunningham sack the quarteback 4 times. "Defense is really playing well for us, our first team gave up no points" said head coach Steve Belles. The game was delayed at the 5:01 mark of the 4th quarter when Aaron Diggs of Millenium was injured while making a tackle. He was taken off the field on a stretcher but gave a thumbs up to the crowd as he exited.
The Millenium Tigers who were seeded #14 finish their season at 6-5 and the Huskies who improve to 9-2 on the year will host the #6 Pinnacle Pioneers next Friday night in the 2nd round. Hamilton defeated Pinnacle 24-20 back on September 12th.
- Dave Zorn - Saturday June 14Host of the Friday Night Wrap-Up Show, Dave Zorn, joins the show to talk about why he is leaving.
- Chuck Schmidt - Saturday June 14AIA Executive Director, Chuck Schmidt, joins the show to talk about everything AIA.
- Blake Jackson - Saturday June 7Gilbert High School, Scottsdale Community College and Oklahoma State alum, Blake Jackson joins the s
- Casey Benson - Saturday June 7Three Time State Champion PG for Corona Del Sol, Casey Benson, joins the show.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Jim and Craig talk to Chuck Schmidt and Dave Zorn.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 1In this hour Jim and Craig talk to 3 TV's Tyler Baldwin and Az Central's Richard Obert.
- June 7, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365, in this hour Sammy Chagolla, Bryce Perkins and Ky Westbrook join the show.
- June 7, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Cole Tucker, Casey Benson and Blake Jackson join the show.
- May 31, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365 Show, bringing the latest in high school sports around the state.