Horizon VB sweeps Mtn. Pointe, faces Xavier in D-I semis
Originally published: Nov 7, 2013 - 12:00 am
Sierra Nobley has come a long way in her volleyball career at Phoenix Horizon High.
A thousand kills worth, to be exact.
“It’s crazy,’’ the 6-foot-1 senior outside hitter said, when asked if she ever thought she would reach that milestone.
It is Nobley’s goal to come up with a few more power shots before the Huskies’ season is done.
That would be against Phoenix Xavier Prep in Saturday’s (Nov. 9) Division I semifinals at Gilbert Mesquite High, and if all goes according to plan, against Chandler Hamilton or Phoenix Sandra Day O’Connor in the final on Tuesday (Nov. 12), also at Mesquite.
Nobley had 10 kills, giving her 1,000 for her career, as the top-seeded, defending champion Huskies swept visiting No. 9 Phoenix Mountain Pointe 25-12, 25-17 and 25-14.
Horizon has defeated Xavier, its opponent in last year’s title match, three times this season. There was a five-set marathon, two out of three in the Gilbert Invitational and a sweep.
“This should be for the championship (instead of the semis),’’ said Horizon coach Valorie McKenzie. “Every time Xavier plays Horizon, they bring their best game every time. Now it’s a new season.’’
Said Nobley: “It’s always fun to play them. We look forward to the challenge.’’
Horizon had swept Mountain Pointe on Oct. 30 and had a certain strategy in mind this time.
Part of it involved good serves and allowing the Pride as little time as possible to react.
“We worked on it, being more aggressive with our serves,’’ McKenzie said.
Horizon (37-2) scored 14 straight points to take control of Game 1, and a service ace by Jensen Cunningham was the final point.
Mountain Pointe (20-20) put up more of a fight in Game 2. The Pride had pulled to within 17-16. But a kill by Tess Clark began a 7-0 run by Horizon, and the 6-4 Cunningham finished this one off with a kill.
Another 7-0 Horizon run midway through Game 3 to strengthen its hold on the evening. Back-to-back aces by Nobley keyed that outburst.
“We all work well together as a team,’’ Nobley said. “If one of us happens to struggle, the others will pick them up.’’
- Perry High Sophomore and Arizona State Basketball Commit Markus Howard - Saturday August 30Markus Howard talks about committing to ASU and the upcoming season for Perry High School.
- Xavier Prep Junior and USC Girl's Volleyball Commit Khalia Lanier - Saturday August 30Khalia Lanier talks about the volleyball season and her commitment to USC.
- Basha Head Football Coach Gerald Todd - Saturday August 30Gerald Todd talks about getting their first win of the season against Desert Vista.
- Jim and Mark Sollenberger Brothers of Barry Sollenberger - Saturday August 23Jim and Mark Sollenberger talk about the Sollenberger Classic and what the event means to the Sollen
- August 30, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps recaps week 1 of the AZ HS sports season.
- August 30, 2014 - Hour: 2Arizona Sports Preps 365 recaps week 1 of the Arizona High School sports season.
- August 23, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365 recaps and previews the Sollenberger Classic football games.
- August 23, 2014 - Hour: 2Arizona Sports Preps 365 Recaps and Previews the Sollenberger Classic Game in Las Vegas.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Jim and Craig talk to Chuck Schmidt and Dave Zorn.