Updated Nov 12, 2013 - 12:25 pm
Winslow football team brings joy to Loy, its radio voice
Originally published: Nov 7, 2013 - 12:00 am
Anyone who is a fan of high school sports in Winslow and the surrounding area in northern Arizona knows the name Loy Engelhardt.
They know his voice even better.
Engelhardt has been the voice of Winslow High football and the school’s other sports for 37 years on KINO radio.
On Oct. 26, he suffered a heart attack and was unable to work the Bulldogs’ final game of the regular season on Nov. 1, at Page.
On Halloween night, he received a knock on his door, but it wasn’t trick-or-treaters.
It was the Winslow football team, dressed in their jerseys, who presented him with a football signed by each of them.
It was quite an emotional time. Tears streamed from Engelhardt’s eyes. Everyone posed for a group picture.
Long-time Winslow baseball coach Art Griffith, who has been a football game analyst for several years, took over for Engelhardt at the Page game, but will have to move back over one seat on Saturday night (Nov. 9) when the seventh-seeded Bulldogs open the Division IV playoffs at home against No. 10 Sahuarita.
The 73-year-old Engelhardt will be back behind the microphone. His doctors in Flagstaff (he had a checkup on Wednesday) gave their approval, just so long as he doesn’t overdo it. Not an easy thing, however. In football, excitement is the name of the game.
“He’s a tough old bird,’’ said Justin Hartman, Winslow’s athletic director.
Said Engelhardt’s wife, Patricia: “I just wanted the people to know what a nice thing those boys did and how much it meant to Loy. These kids are good kids.’’
In smaller communities like Winslow, things like that mean more. Everybody knows everybody, many for an entire lifetime.
Thankfully, Loy Engelhardt’s life continues. He will be back in the press box, doing what he loves. And listeners will be back in their comfort zone.
“He is a big part of who we are,’’ Hartman said.
- Chuck Schmidt - Saturday April 12AIA Associate Executive Director Chuck Schmidt joins the show.
- Charlie Ragle - Saturday April 12U of A Assistant Coach and Tight Ends Coach Charlie Ragle joins the show.
- Matt Rogers - Saturday April 12Xavier Head Sand Volleyball Coach Matt Rogers joins the show.
- Mike Woods - Saturday April 12Hamilton Head Baseball Coach Mike Woods joins the show.
- April 12, 2014 - Hour: 1ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson, Hamilton Head Baseball Coach Mike Woods, and Xavier Sand Volleyb
- April 12, 2014 - Hour: 2U of A Assistant Coach Coach Charlie Ragle and AIA Associate Executive Director Chuck Schmidt join t
- April 5, 2014 - Hour: 1In this hour AIA 365's Les Wilsey joins the show.
- April 5, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Michael Rabasca, Ky Westbrook, and Richard Obert join the show.
- March 29, 2014 - Hour: 1Eric Kibler and Justin Allen join the show.