D-I boys golf: Red Mountain leads tournament at even par
Originally published: Nov 1, 2013 - 12:00 am
Pinnacle's Ty Macias was going nowhere fast on Friday after three holes of the Division I state boys golf tournament.
Fifteen holes later his destination was atop the leaderboard. Macias overcame a +3 start after three holes by birdieing eight of the next 15 to shoot 67 and lead after the first round of the state tournament at Aguila Golf Course in Laveen.
Macias' score of 5-under is good for a two-shot lead over Desert Ridge's Colton Dally and Red Mountain's J.T. Rodenkirch who shot 69s. Five more players produced rounds under-par on the first day of the 36-hole tourney. Tied for fourth at 70 are Mountain Ridge's Brian Seo and Desert Vista's Matt Liringis, the defending champion. Shooting 71 were Mountain Pointe's Ben Harden, Cienega's David Rauer and Brophy's Michael Feagles.
Rodenkirch's 69 helped Red Mountain to the lead in the team competition. Red Mountain shot 288 (even par). Rounding out the top five teams are Desert Vista (292), Brophy (294), defending champ Mesa Mountain View (297) and Hamilton (298). Tee times (double tees) begin for Saturday's final round at 7:40 a.m. with the final groups heading out by 9:40 a.m.
- Lisa Contreras - Saturday March 1Head coach of the Westview girl's basketball team, Lisa Contreras, joins the show.
- Sam Duane - Saturday March 1Corona del Sol Head Coach Sam Duane joins the show.
- James Kirk - Saturday March 1Flagstaff Head Coach James Kirk joins the show.
- Paul Coro - Saturday March 1AZ Central's Paul Coro joins the show.
- March 1, 2014 - Hour: 1Jim Smith, Brian Bolitho and Paul Coro join the show.
- March 1, 2014 - Hour: 2This hour James Kirk, Lisa Contreras and Sam Duane join the show
- February 22, 2014 - Hour: 1In this hour, Michael Carutenuto, Les Wilsey and Jason Skoda join the show.
- February 22, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour of the show we have The Full Court Press and David Hopkinson and Richard Obert also joi
- February 15, 2014 - Hour: 1AIA 365 - Bringing the highest quality on air content covering Arizona and National Prep Athletics.