Regular-season FB finales, D-VI quarters highlight schedule
Originally published: Oct 31, 2013 - 12:00 am
Note: This article includes home games in the writer’s area of coverage, which is as follows: from Fountain Hills west through Scottsdale, all of Phoenix (except for Ahwatukee), the southwest, northwest and northern sections of the metro area. Other locales include northern, northeast and northwest Arizona.
Here is a look at some of the top football games in the area on Friday night (Nov. 1). Some teams will be fighting for a playoff spot . . .
Yuma Catholic (8-1) at Phoenix Northwest Christian (7-2) – These teams have quite rivalry going in Division V.
Since 2009, they have played seven times, including the state championship game in 2010 and 2011. They split those, Northwest Christian winning in 2010 and Yuma Catholic the following year.
Northwest Christian has won all but one game, but the contests have been close. The games have been decided by a combined 27 points.
Northwest Christian won both games in 2012, in the season opener and the semifinals, leading to Northwest Christian’s title victory over Morenci.
Yuma Catholic is seeded No. 1 in the most recent Arizona Interscholastic Association power rankings released on Tuesday (Oct. 29). The Shamrocks’ only loss was to Thatcher.
Northwest Christian, currently seeded eighth, lost in back-to-back weeks, to Phoenix Arizona Lutheran and Phoenix Bourgade Catholic.
Glendale Cactus (7-2) at Peoria (9-0) – Glendale Cactus would like nothing better than to knock rival Peoria from the unbeaten list, but doing so will not be easy. This is Peoria’s best team in quite some time.
Phoenix Sunnyslope (9-0) vs. Phoenix St. Mary’s (4-5) at Phoenix College – Although Sunnyslope’s schedule has not exactly been filled with powerhouses, finishing the regular season would be quite an accomplishment. Doing so against St. Mary’s would mean a great deal to Sunnyslope coach Damon Pieri, a former star at St. Mary’s.
Avondale Agua Fria (5-4) at Goodyear Desert Edge (9-0) -- Desert Edge has its sights set on a return trip to the Division III championship game, but the powerful Scorpions can’t afford to overlook the Owls here.
Phoenix Pinnacle (7-2) at Anthem Boulder Creek (5-4) – The odds are not with Boulder Creek, currently the No. 16 seed in Division I, particularly since Pinnacle earned a big win over a highly regarded Phoenix Horizon team last week. But you never know what can happen.
Winslow (6-3) at Page (7-2) – Both teams are fighting to hang on to potential playoff spots.
Division VI (eight-man) quarterfinals
All games, Saturday (Nov. 2), 6 p.m.
No. 9 Salome at No. 1 Pima – Salome survived a close first-round battle with Phoenix Valley Lutheran last week. Pima and the three other top seeds earned first-round byes.
No. 5 Heber Mogollon at No. 4 St. David – With only one loss (Valley Lutheran), Mogollon appears to be hitting its stride, particularly after defeating rival Joseph City for the second time this season in the first round last week.
No. 6 Glendale Prep at No. 3 Bagdad – Glendale Prep was excited after its first playoff win as a member of the AIA, but maintaining that momentum will be difficult against a tough, physical Bagdad team that is intent on remaining unbeaten.
No. 7 Kearny Ray at No. 2 Gilbert Christian – Ray defeated Duncan in the first round. Can the Bearcats end Gilbert Christian’s season?
- Blue Ridge Head Coach Paul Moro - Saturday December 7Blue Ridge Head Coach Paul Moro joins the show to discuss winning the Division IV title last week.
- Mountain Pointe Head Coach Norris Vaughan - Saturday December 7Mountain Pointe Head Football Coach Norris Vaughan joins the show to discuss winning the Division I
- Cameron Denson Interview - Saturday November 30Salpointe Catholic player Cameron Denson talks about winning the state title and what's next for hi
- Coach Dave Inness Interview - Saturday November 30AIA Color Analyst and Northwest Christian Head Coach Dave Inness previews tonight's championships.
- December 7, 2013 - Hour: 1In this hour we talk to the Division I and Division IV State Title winners.
- November 30, 2013 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365 bringing you the latest in high school sports from around the state.
- November 30, 2013 - Hour: 2Arizona Sports Preps 365 bringing you the latest in high school sports from around the state.
- November 23, 2013 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365 bringing you the latest in high school sports from around the state.
- November 23, 2013 - Hour: 2Arizona Sports Preps 365 bringing you the latest in high school sports from around the state.