Regular-season FB finales, D-VI quarters highlight schedule
Originally published: Oct 31, 2013 - 12:00 am
Note: This article includes home games in the writer’s area of coverage, which is as follows: from Fountain Hills west through Scottsdale, all of Phoenix (except for Ahwatukee), the southwest, northwest and northern sections of the metro area. Other locales include northern, northeast and northwest Arizona.
Here is a look at some of the top football games in the area on Friday night (Nov. 1). Some teams will be fighting for a playoff spot . . .
Yuma Catholic (8-1) at Phoenix Northwest Christian (7-2) – These teams have quite rivalry going in Division V.
Since 2009, they have played seven times, including the state championship game in 2010 and 2011. They split those, Northwest Christian winning in 2010 and Yuma Catholic the following year.
Northwest Christian has won all but one game, but the contests have been close. The games have been decided by a combined 27 points.
Northwest Christian won both games in 2012, in the season opener and the semifinals, leading to Northwest Christian’s title victory over Morenci.
Yuma Catholic is seeded No. 1 in the most recent Arizona Interscholastic Association power rankings released on Tuesday (Oct. 29). The Shamrocks’ only loss was to Thatcher.
Northwest Christian, currently seeded eighth, lost in back-to-back weeks, to Phoenix Arizona Lutheran and Phoenix Bourgade Catholic.
Glendale Cactus (7-2) at Peoria (9-0) – Glendale Cactus would like nothing better than to knock rival Peoria from the unbeaten list, but doing so will not be easy. This is Peoria’s best team in quite some time.
Phoenix Sunnyslope (9-0) vs. Phoenix St. Mary’s (4-5) at Phoenix College – Although Sunnyslope’s schedule has not exactly been filled with powerhouses, finishing the regular season would be quite an accomplishment. Doing so against St. Mary’s would mean a great deal to Sunnyslope coach Damon Pieri, a former star at St. Mary’s.
Avondale Agua Fria (5-4) at Goodyear Desert Edge (9-0) -- Desert Edge has its sights set on a return trip to the Division III championship game, but the powerful Scorpions can’t afford to overlook the Owls here.
Phoenix Pinnacle (7-2) at Anthem Boulder Creek (5-4) – The odds are not with Boulder Creek, currently the No. 16 seed in Division I, particularly since Pinnacle earned a big win over a highly regarded Phoenix Horizon team last week. But you never know what can happen.
Winslow (6-3) at Page (7-2) – Both teams are fighting to hang on to potential playoff spots.
Division VI (eight-man) quarterfinals
All games, Saturday (Nov. 2), 6 p.m.
No. 9 Salome at No. 1 Pima – Salome survived a close first-round battle with Phoenix Valley Lutheran last week. Pima and the three other top seeds earned first-round byes.
No. 5 Heber Mogollon at No. 4 St. David – With only one loss (Valley Lutheran), Mogollon appears to be hitting its stride, particularly after defeating rival Joseph City for the second time this season in the first round last week.
No. 6 Glendale Prep at No. 3 Bagdad – Glendale Prep was excited after its first playoff win as a member of the AIA, but maintaining that momentum will be difficult against a tough, physical Bagdad team that is intent on remaining unbeaten.
No. 7 Kearny Ray at No. 2 Gilbert Christian – Ray defeated Duncan in the first round. Can the Bearcats end Gilbert Christian’s season?
- Perry High Sophomore and Arizona State Basketball Commit Markus Howard - Saturday August 30Markus Howard talks about committing to ASU and the upcoming season for Perry High School.
- Xavier Prep Junior and USC Girl's Volleyball Commit Khalia Lanier - Saturday August 30Khalia Lanier talks about the volleyball season and her commitment to USC.
- Basha Head Football Coach Gerald Todd - Saturday August 30Gerald Todd talks about getting their first win of the season against Desert Vista.
- Jim and Mark Sollenberger Brothers of Barry Sollenberger - Saturday August 23Jim and Mark Sollenberger talk about the Sollenberger Classic and what the event means to the Sollen
- August 30, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps recaps week 1 of the AZ HS sports season.
- August 30, 2014 - Hour: 2Arizona Sports Preps 365 recaps week 1 of the Arizona High School sports season.
- August 23, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365 recaps and previews the Sollenberger Classic football games.
- August 23, 2014 - Hour: 2Arizona Sports Preps 365 Recaps and Previews the Sollenberger Classic Game in Las Vegas.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Jim and Craig talk to Chuck Schmidt and Dave Zorn.