D-I girls golf: Pinnacle betters Xavier in 1st round
Originally published: Oct 30, 2013 - 12:00 am
Pinnacle pulled a fast one at the Division I state girls golf tournament on Wednesday at Aguila Golf Course in Laveen.
Pinnacle -- with two players as the tourney co-leaders -- shot an astounding 7-over par (295) to take a two-shot lead over heavy-tournament favorite Xavier. Xavier shot 9-over (297) and its worst score counting was 76. Gilbert High is third (320). Pinnacle finished third last year behind Xavier and runner-up Hamilton. Pinnacle was 33 shots behind Xavier in last year's tourney.
Two players are one shot behind at even par -- Mountain Ridge's Carly Akine and Red Mountain's Kaitlyn Saum. Defending individual champion -- Xavier's Hannah O'Sullivan -- is next with three others at 73. Also at 73 are Deer Valley's Maddy Hafner, Pinnacle's Megan Knadler and Ironwood Ridge's Sydney Colwill. Eleven players are within three shots of the lead heading to Thursday's (Oct. 31) final round. Tee times on Thursday begin at 7:30 a.m.
- Chuck Schmidt - Saturday March 8AIA Associate Executive Director joins the show this morning.
- Karen Self - Saturday March 8Seton Catholic Head Girls Basketball Coach, Karen Self, joins the show.
- Jerry Conner - Saturday March 8Shadow Mountain Head Coach, Jerry Conner, joins the show.
- J'ohntar Coleman - Saturday March 8Desert Vista Head Girls Basketball Coach, J'ohntar Coleman, joins the show.
- March 8, 2014 - Hour: 1Player Casey Benson and coaches J'ohntar Coleman and Jerry Conner join the show.
- March 8, 2014 - Hour: 2Karen Self and AIA's Chuck Schmidt join the show.
- March 1, 2014 - Hour: 1Jim Smith, Brian Bolitho and Paul Coro join the show.
- March 1, 2014 - Hour: 2This hour James Kirk, Lisa Contreras and Sam Duane join the show
- February 22, 2014 - Hour: 1In this hour, Michael Carutenuto, Les Wilsey and Jason Skoda join the show.