D-I girls golf: Pinnacle betters Xavier in 1st round
Originally published: Oct 30, 2013 - 12:00 am
Pinnacle pulled a fast one at the Division I state girls golf tournament on Wednesday at Aguila Golf Course in Laveen.
Pinnacle -- with two players as the tourney co-leaders -- shot an astounding 7-over par (295) to take a two-shot lead over heavy-tournament favorite Xavier. Xavier shot 9-over (297) and its worst score counting was 76. Gilbert High is third (320). Pinnacle finished third last year behind Xavier and runner-up Hamilton. Pinnacle was 33 shots behind Xavier in last year's tourney.
Two players are one shot behind at even par -- Mountain Ridge's Carly Akine and Red Mountain's Kaitlyn Saum. Defending individual champion -- Xavier's Hannah O'Sullivan -- is next with three others at 73. Also at 73 are Deer Valley's Maddy Hafner, Pinnacle's Megan Knadler and Ironwood Ridge's Sydney Colwill. Eleven players are within three shots of the lead heading to Thursday's (Oct. 31) final round. Tee times on Thursday begin at 7:30 a.m.
- Paul Lopez - Saturday April 19Mountain Pointe Football and Track Athlete Paul Lucas joins the show.
- Jerry Dawson - Saturday April 19Former Chaparral Baseball Manager Jerry Dawson joins the show.
- Geno Fata - Saturday April 19Geno Fata Account Executive with the Diamondbacks joins the show.
- Jean Boyd - Saturday April 19ASU Associate Senior Athletic Director Jean Boyd joins the show.
- April 19, 2014 - Hour: 1Phoenix Suns Spirit of Cotton Award Winner and Valley Lutheran Head boys’ Basketball coach Robert Ko
- April 19, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Geno Fata, Jerry Dawson and Paul Lucas join the show.
- April 12, 2014 - Hour: 1ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson, Hamilton Head Baseball Coach Mike Woods, and Xavier Sand Volleyb
- April 12, 2014 - Hour: 2U of A Assistant Coach Coach Charlie Ragle and AIA Associate Executive Director Chuck Schmidt join t
- April 5, 2014 - Hour: 1In this hour AIA 365's Les Wilsey joins the show.