D-I girls golf: Pinnacle betters Xavier in 1st round
Originally published: Oct 30, 2013 - 12:00 am
Pinnacle pulled a fast one at the Division I state girls golf tournament on Wednesday at Aguila Golf Course in Laveen.
Pinnacle -- with two players as the tourney co-leaders -- shot an astounding 7-over par (295) to take a two-shot lead over heavy-tournament favorite Xavier. Xavier shot 9-over (297) and its worst score counting was 76. Gilbert High is third (320). Pinnacle finished third last year behind Xavier and runner-up Hamilton. Pinnacle was 33 shots behind Xavier in last year's tourney.
Two players are one shot behind at even par -- Mountain Ridge's Carly Akine and Red Mountain's Kaitlyn Saum. Defending individual champion -- Xavier's Hannah O'Sullivan -- is next with three others at 73. Also at 73 are Deer Valley's Maddy Hafner, Pinnacle's Megan Knadler and Ironwood Ridge's Sydney Colwill. Eleven players are within three shots of the lead heading to Thursday's (Oct. 31) final round. Tee times on Thursday begin at 7:30 a.m.
- Dave Zorn - Saturday June 14Host of the Friday Night Wrap-Up Show, Dave Zorn, joins the show to talk about why he is leaving.
- Chuck Schmidt - Saturday June 14AIA Executive Director, Chuck Schmidt, joins the show to talk about everything AIA.
- Blake Jackson - Saturday June 7Gilbert High School, Scottsdale Community College and Oklahoma State alum, Blake Jackson joins the s
- Casey Benson - Saturday June 7Three Time State Champion PG for Corona Del Sol, Casey Benson, joins the show.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Jim and Craig talk to Chuck Schmidt and Dave Zorn.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 1In this hour Jim and Craig talk to 3 TV's Tyler Baldwin and Az Central's Richard Obert.
- June 7, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365, in this hour Sammy Chagolla, Bryce Perkins and Ky Westbrook join the show.
- June 7, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Cole Tucker, Casey Benson and Blake Jackson join the show.
- May 31, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365 Show, bringing the latest in high school sports around the state.