Good luck to Bobby Barnes + state tourneys + Az. Fall guys
Originally published: Oct 29, 2013 - 12:00 am
Information continues to pile up in my notebook, so it’s time for another cleaning . . .
I was sorry to learn that Bobby Barnes is stepping down as football coach at Buckeye High, according to azcentral.com.
He and his wife will be returning to their home state of Oklahoma to help their ailing parents.
Bobby has done a great job in his 11 years at the helm of the Hawks. He was kind of old school in some ways, instilling discipline, but that was a good thing. Many kids don’t get enough of that these days. He will be missed.
Let’s hope the new coach can continue to maintain what Bobby started.
A quick reminder: badminton team semifinals are Wednesday (Oct. 30) at Phoenix Sunnyslope. First serve at 6 p.m. for both matches.
Fourth-seeded Chandler will meet top-seeded Phoenix Xavier Prep and defending champion Phoenix Mountain Pointe, the third seed, will take on No. 2 Glendale Mountain Ridge.
Sunnyslope also will be the site of the championship match on Thursday (Oct. 31) at 6 p.m.
The Division I golf tournaments will be held Wednesday and Thursday for girls and Friday (Nov. 1) and Saturday (Nov. 2) for boys at the Aguila Golf Course in Laveen. The weather has been great – let’s hope it continues.
The fall soccer tournaments for boys and girls will begin on Thursday.
In boys’ action, No. 9 seed Nogales Lourdes Catholic will travel to face No. 8 Tucson Desert Christian; No. 12 Phoenix Country Day School will be at No. 5 Willcox; No. 11 Camp Verde will be at No. 6 Show Low; and No. 10 Tucson Alta Vista will be at No. 7 Benson.
The top four seeds – No. 1 Lakeside Blue Ridge, No. 2 Chino Valley, No. 3 Tucson St. Gregory and No. 4 Snowflake, get first-round byes and will host quarterfinal matches on Saturday.
In girls’ play on Thursday, No. 8 Snowflake is at No. 1 Tucson Desert Christian, No. 5 Flagstaff Northland Prep is at No. 4 River Valley, No. 6 Show Low is at No. 3 Round Valley and No. 7 St. Johns is at No. 2 Lakeside Blue Ridge.
I wanted to update you on the progress of the former Arizona high school baseball players participating in the Arizona Fall League, which runs through Nov. 16 at spring-training parks around the Valley. Stats are entering Tuesday’s play.
*Avondale Agua Fria LHP Sammy Solis, 3-1, 2.87 ERA in 4 starts for the Mesa Solar Sox.
*Phoenix Horizon LHP Jeff Urlaub, 1-0, 0.00 in 6 games for Mesa.
*Phoenix Mountain Pointe 1B C.J. Cron, .349, 3 HR, 9 RBIs in 10 games for Mesa.
*Scottsdale Desert Mountain INF Taylor Lindsey, .279, 1 HR, 6 RBIs in 10 games for Mesa.
*Phoenix Thunderbird LHP Alex Sogard, 2-1, 1.93 in 6 games (1 start) for the Peoria Javelinas.
*Agua Fria OF Aaron Altherr, .273, 0 HR, 2 RBIs in 3 games for Peoria.
*Mesa Desert Ridge RHP Jake Barrett, 1-0, 1.80, 2 saves in 5 games for the Salt River Rafters.
*Gilbert Highland LHP James Pazos, 1-0, 1.59 in 6 games for the Scottsdale Scorpions.
*Phoenix Pinnacle INF Brett Nicholas, .250, 0 HR, 2 RBIs in 8 games for the Surprise Saguaros.
- Chuck Schmidt - Saturday March 8AIA Associate Executive Director joins the show this morning.
- Karen Self - Saturday March 8Seton Catholic Head Girls Basketball Coach, Karen Self, joins the show.
- Jerry Conner - Saturday March 8Shadow Mountain Head Coach, Jerry Conner, joins the show.
- J'ohntar Coleman - Saturday March 8Desert Vista Head Girls Basketball Coach, J'ohntar Coleman, joins the show.
- March 8, 2014 - Hour: 1Player Casey Benson and coaches J'ohntar Coleman and Jerry Conner join the show.
- March 8, 2014 - Hour: 2Karen Self and AIA's Chuck Schmidt join the show.
- March 1, 2014 - Hour: 1Jim Smith, Brian Bolitho and Paul Coro join the show.
- March 1, 2014 - Hour: 2This hour James Kirk, Lisa Contreras and Sam Duane join the show
- February 22, 2014 - Hour: 1In this hour, Michael Carutenuto, Les Wilsey and Jason Skoda join the show.