Ariz. Lutheran survives Bourgade rally for 49-35 victory
Originally published: Oct 25, 2013 - 12:00 am
With a Division V, Section II football gauntlet that includes Phoenix Bourgade Catholic, Yuma Catholic and Phoenix Northwest Christian, Phoenix Arizona Lutheran managed to escape with only one flesh wound – a loss to Yuma Catholic.
As battered and bruised as the Coyotes are, however, it feels more like they need a body cast.
They came away with a 49-35 victory over host Bourgade on Friday night (Oct. 25). It wasn’t as easy as it might have seemed.
Arizona Lutheran (8-1) raced to a 22-point halftime lead. Bourgade (7-2) battled back and had a legitimate chance to pull within a touchdown or perhaps even tie it in the second half, relying on a pair of interceptions, but time was not the Golden Eagles’ ally.
“We have four of the best teams in the state, and it’s really tough,’’ said Arizona Lutheran coach Scott Indahl.
Arizona Lutheran gained 320 yards on the ground and 311 through the air, and Indahl was pleased with the distribution of the ball.
“Our kids worked really hard over the summer to be balanced on offense, and when we are doing it the way we are supposed to, we feel we can execute anything on any team,’’ Indahl said.
Quarterback Cameron Haag completed 16 of 32 passes for the game and tossed three touchdowns passes, all in the first half.
Jesse Zwick rushed for 131 yards and a pair of TDs, and Kaleb Buchholz had two long TD runs before leaving the game with an injury in the second half.
Bourgade sophomore quarterback Luke Dreher completed 16 of 32 passes for 229 yards and a pair of TDs. Joshua Sanders caught five passes for 90 yards and a TD and returned a kickoff 70 yards for another score.
“We feel fortunate to win this, because Bourgade has a good team. You don’t come into this game with only one loss like they had and not be good,’’ Indahl said.
Arizona Lutheran faces Wellton Antelope in its regular-season finale next week. Bourgade, coached by veteran Pat Lavin, faces Tonopah Valley in its homecoming game. Even with the loss to Arizona Lutheran, Bourgade should qualify for the playoffs.
- Paul Lopez - Saturday April 19Mountain Pointe Football and Track Athlete Paul Lucas joins the show.
- Jerry Dawson - Saturday April 19Former Chaparral Baseball Manager Jerry Dawson joins the show.
- Geno Fata - Saturday April 19Geno Fata Account Executive with the Diamondbacks joins the show.
- Jean Boyd - Saturday April 19ASU Associate Senior Athletic Director Jean Boyd joins the show.
- April 19, 2014 - Hour: 1Phoenix Suns Spirit of Cotton Award Winner and Valley Lutheran Head boys’ Basketball coach Robert Ko
- April 19, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Geno Fata, Jerry Dawson and Paul Lucas join the show.
- April 12, 2014 - Hour: 1ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson, Hamilton Head Baseball Coach Mike Woods, and Xavier Sand Volleyb
- April 12, 2014 - Hour: 2U of A Assistant Coach Coach Charlie Ragle and AIA Associate Executive Director Chuck Schmidt join t
- April 5, 2014 - Hour: 1In this hour AIA 365's Les Wilsey joins the show.