Get it Right the First Time...
Originally published: Oct 21, 2013 - 12:00 am
The expectation of a perfectly called game is the same for the NFL, NCAA or your local high school game. But there are big differences on how officials in each league try and accomplish that goal. Both the NFL and NCAA use seven officials to watch 22 players, while your local high school officiating crew has a crew of five to watch that same amount of players.
Both the NFL and NCAA have some form of replay using some of the best TV technology on the planet to ultimately get what happened on the field right. Your local high school official no such luck…they have one split second to get it right, no coaches challenge, no replay official, no “after further review”. Whatever call is made on the field by a High School official in that split second decision is final, so getting it right becomes crucial.
Do we get them all right? Probably not, But I think we get more right than most people give us credit for.
Keep in mind while the games on Friday night (High School) and Saturday (NCAA) look the same, There are well over 200 rule differences between them, and even more differences between the NFL and the High School game.
So the next time you are at a High School football game keep in mind there is a third team of five officials on the field just trying to get it right the first time.
- Dave Zorn - Saturday June 14Host of the Friday Night Wrap-Up Show, Dave Zorn, joins the show to talk about why he is leaving.
- Chuck Schmidt - Saturday June 14AIA Executive Director, Chuck Schmidt, joins the show to talk about everything AIA.
- Blake Jackson - Saturday June 7Gilbert High School, Scottsdale Community College and Oklahoma State alum, Blake Jackson joins the s
- Casey Benson - Saturday June 7Three Time State Champion PG for Corona Del Sol, Casey Benson, joins the show.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Jim and Craig talk to Chuck Schmidt and Dave Zorn.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 1In this hour Jim and Craig talk to 3 TV's Tyler Baldwin and Az Central's Richard Obert.
- June 7, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365, in this hour Sammy Chagolla, Bryce Perkins and Ky Westbrook join the show.
- June 7, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Cole Tucker, Casey Benson and Blake Jackson join the show.
- May 31, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365 Show, bringing the latest in high school sports around the state.