Williams Field FB impressive in 42-17 win over Queen Creek
Originally published: Oct 18, 2013 - 12:00 am
Talk about a football sandwich. Williams Field prepared the ideal one Friday night in its matchup with Queen Creek.
Special teams made its presence felt quickly for one half of the bun followed by the offensive fixings in the middle by the offense and capped by a defensive score to complete the evening's dish. The tasty ingredients added up to a 42-17 victory for Williams Field over Queen Creek in a Division III matchup at Williams Field.
Jacob Anderson scored a pair of touchdowns for Williams Field (7-1) in the first half and quarterback Jeddediah Fagg tossed a trio of TD passes after that to supply plenty of offense. Fagg's TD passes went to three different rceivers -- Josh Page (28 yards), Luke Petruzzi (19 yards) and Cole Forsgren (23 yards). The scoring strike to Page answered a field goal late in the second period by Queen Creek (6-2) that pulled the Bulldogs within 14-10. Williams Field took a 21-10 lead to hafltime and dominated the second half to win going away.
"I think when we look at this overall we'll be pretty happy," Williams Field coach Steve Campbell said. "It was a good effort all around."
A blocked punt with 2 1/2 minutes gone in the first quarter set up Williams Field at the Queen Creek 25 for the game's first score four plays later. The first of two 4-yard TD runs by Anderson made it 6-0 at the 8:18 mark of the quarter (the extra point was blocked). Anderson tallied again with 10:39 left in the half to cap a seven play, 87 yard drive. The drive was highlighted by the beginning of a big night for Forsgren, who caught two passes for 60 yards on the march. Forsgren hauled in a two-point conversion pass from Fagg to make it 14-0.
Fagg had an easy time picking apart the Queen Creek secondary. The senior quarterback completed 10-of-15 passes for 226 yards and faced little pressure. Forsgren picked up two receptions for 64 yards in the second half, finishing with five grabs for 141 yards.
"We're still developing some things offensively," Campbell said. "Forsgren missed five games so we're behind where we normally might be. But we're getting there."
Fagg's last two TD passes bumped Williams Field's lead to 35-10. Queen Creek pulled to within 35-17 on an 8-yard TD run by running back Weston Barlow, who along with fellow back Matt Guida, returned to action from injury. Guida still is not 100 percent, but Barlow looked strong carrying 27 times for 178 yards. Other than one long run in the first period, Barlow got his yards bits at a time against a solid Williams Field defense.
Queen Creek had one more drive in the final period reaching the Williams Field 40. A deep pass attempt by Queen Creek quarterback Bryce Dobbs was tipped in the secondary and picked off by cornerback Darius Williams. Williams made a nifty return 90 yards for a score tip-toeing the far sideline most of the way to account for the night's final points. Dobbs was limited to a short passing game by pressure he faced most of the night. He was sacked five times.
"They beat us up tonight," Queen Creek coach Travis Schureman said. "On both sides of the ball. We have to fix that."
- Dave Zorn - Saturday June 14Host of the Friday Night Wrap-Up Show, Dave Zorn, joins the show to talk about why he is leaving.
- Chuck Schmidt - Saturday June 14AIA Executive Director, Chuck Schmidt, joins the show to talk about everything AIA.
- Blake Jackson - Saturday June 7Gilbert High School, Scottsdale Community College and Oklahoma State alum, Blake Jackson joins the s
- Casey Benson - Saturday June 7Three Time State Champion PG for Corona Del Sol, Casey Benson, joins the show.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Jim and Craig talk to Chuck Schmidt and Dave Zorn.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 1In this hour Jim and Craig talk to 3 TV's Tyler Baldwin and Az Central's Richard Obert.
- June 7, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365, in this hour Sammy Chagolla, Bryce Perkins and Ky Westbrook join the show.
- June 7, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Cole Tucker, Casey Benson and Blake Jackson join the show.
- May 31, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365 Show, bringing the latest in high school sports around the state.