Williams Field FB impressive in 42-17 win over Queen Creek
Originally published: Oct 18, 2013 - 12:00 am
Talk about a football sandwich. Williams Field prepared the ideal one Friday night in its matchup with Queen Creek.
Special teams made its presence felt quickly for one half of the bun followed by the offensive fixings in the middle by the offense and capped by a defensive score to complete the evening's dish. The tasty ingredients added up to a 42-17 victory for Williams Field over Queen Creek in a Division III matchup at Williams Field.
Jacob Anderson scored a pair of touchdowns for Williams Field (7-1) in the first half and quarterback Jeddediah Fagg tossed a trio of TD passes after that to supply plenty of offense. Fagg's TD passes went to three different rceivers -- Josh Page (28 yards), Luke Petruzzi (19 yards) and Cole Forsgren (23 yards). The scoring strike to Page answered a field goal late in the second period by Queen Creek (6-2) that pulled the Bulldogs within 14-10. Williams Field took a 21-10 lead to hafltime and dominated the second half to win going away.
"I think when we look at this overall we'll be pretty happy," Williams Field coach Steve Campbell said. "It was a good effort all around."
A blocked punt with 2 1/2 minutes gone in the first quarter set up Williams Field at the Queen Creek 25 for the game's first score four plays later. The first of two 4-yard TD runs by Anderson made it 6-0 at the 8:18 mark of the quarter (the extra point was blocked). Anderson tallied again with 10:39 left in the half to cap a seven play, 87 yard drive. The drive was highlighted by the beginning of a big night for Forsgren, who caught two passes for 60 yards on the march. Forsgren hauled in a two-point conversion pass from Fagg to make it 14-0.
Fagg had an easy time picking apart the Queen Creek secondary. The senior quarterback completed 10-of-15 passes for 226 yards and faced little pressure. Forsgren picked up two receptions for 64 yards in the second half, finishing with five grabs for 141 yards.
"We're still developing some things offensively," Campbell said. "Forsgren missed five games so we're behind where we normally might be. But we're getting there."
Fagg's last two TD passes bumped Williams Field's lead to 35-10. Queen Creek pulled to within 35-17 on an 8-yard TD run by running back Weston Barlow, who along with fellow back Matt Guida, returned to action from injury. Guida still is not 100 percent, but Barlow looked strong carrying 27 times for 178 yards. Other than one long run in the first period, Barlow got his yards bits at a time against a solid Williams Field defense.
Queen Creek had one more drive in the final period reaching the Williams Field 40. A deep pass attempt by Queen Creek quarterback Bryce Dobbs was tipped in the secondary and picked off by cornerback Darius Williams. Williams made a nifty return 90 yards for a score tip-toeing the far sideline most of the way to account for the night's final points. Dobbs was limited to a short passing game by pressure he faced most of the night. He was sacked five times.
"They beat us up tonight," Queen Creek coach Travis Schureman said. "On both sides of the ball. We have to fix that."
- Perry High Sophomore and Arizona State Basketball Commit Markus Howard - Saturday August 30Markus Howard talks about committing to ASU and the upcoming season for Perry High School.
- Xavier Prep Junior and USC Girl's Volleyball Commit Khalia Lanier - Saturday August 30Khalia Lanier talks about the volleyball season and her commitment to USC.
- Basha Head Football Coach Gerald Todd - Saturday August 30Gerald Todd talks about getting their first win of the season against Desert Vista.
- Jim and Mark Sollenberger Brothers of Barry Sollenberger - Saturday August 23Jim and Mark Sollenberger talk about the Sollenberger Classic and what the event means to the Sollen
- August 30, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps recaps week 1 of the AZ HS sports season.
- August 30, 2014 - Hour: 2Arizona Sports Preps 365 recaps week 1 of the Arizona High School sports season.
- August 23, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365 recaps and previews the Sollenberger Classic football games.
- August 23, 2014 - Hour: 2Arizona Sports Preps 365 Recaps and Previews the Sollenberger Classic Game in Las Vegas.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Jim and Craig talk to Chuck Schmidt and Dave Zorn.