Key games worth look as football season enters home stretch
Originally published: Oct 17, 2013 - 12:00 am
Note: This article includes home games in the writer’s area of coverage, which is as follows: from Fountain Hills west through Scottsdale, all of Phoenix (except for Ahwatukee), the southwest, northwest and northern sections of the metro area. Other locales include northern, northeast and northwest Arizona.
Here is a look at some of the top football games in the area on Friday night (Oct. 18) . . .
Prescott Valley Bradshaw Mountain (6-1) at Prescott (5-2) – This has developed into one of the better non-metro rivalries. Both teams are battling for valuable power points and playoff contention.
Goodyear Estrella Foothills (5-2) at River Valley (6-1) – Estrella Foothills will have to pick up the pace on offense if it expects to knock off defense-minded River Valley, which has shut out its last two opponents.
Anthem Boulder Creek (4-3) at Phoenix Horizon (6-1) – Can Boulder Creek find a way to shut down Horizon’s prolific offense? No team has been able to so far. The Huskies are averaging 54 points per game under first-year coach Kris Heavner.
Phoenix Thunderbird (4-3) at Phoenix Washington (5-2) – Thunderbird needs this one to remain in contention for a Division III playoff spot. After Washington dropped its first two games, its offense has kicked into high gear with five straight wins.
Phoenix Greenway (4-3) at Scottsdale Saguaro (6-1) – Greenway has been up and down this season and will need to be at the top of its game to defeat Saguaro, which has impressive wins over Queen Creek and Gilbert Williams Field the last two weeks.
Phoenix Trevor Browne (5-2) at Laveen Betty H. Fairfax (5-2) – Trevor Browne is having one of its best seasons in years. Betty H. Fairfax survived a tough battle with Tolleson last week.
Mayer (4-4) at Glendale Prep (5-2) – Glendale Prep has been one of the surprises in Division VI eight-man football and has a win over perennial power Joseph City last week to prove it. If Mayer hopes to get a playoff spot, a win here is essential.
Tolleson (5-2) at Avondale Agua Fria (4-3) – This rivalry game between neighboring schools would be good even if the teams were winless, but it means more with playoff implications on the line.
Phoenix Paradise Valley (5-2) at Cave Creek Cactus Shadows (4-3) – Cactus Shadows has dropped two in a row and stopping the bleeding will be difficult against PV’s big offense.
- Cameron Denson Interview - Saturday November 30Salpointe Catholic player Cameron Denson talks about winning the state title and what's next for hi
- Coach Dave Inness Interview - Saturday November 30AIA Color Analyst and Northwest Christian Head Coach Dave Inness previews tonight's championships.
- Coach Dennis Bene Interview - Saturday November 30Division II State Champion Salpointe Head Coach Dennis Bene talks about winning the state title.
- Luke Rubenzer Interview - Saturday November 30Division III Champion Saguaro Quarterback Luke Rubenzer joins the show.
- November 30, 2013 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365 bringing you the latest in high school sports from around the state.
- November 30, 2013 - Hour: 2Arizona Sports Preps 365 bringing you the latest in high school sports from around the state.
- November 23, 2013 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365 bringing you the latest in high school sports from around the state.
- November 23, 2013 - Hour: 2Arizona Sports Preps 365 bringing you the latest in high school sports from around the state.
- November 16, 2013 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps is bringing you the latest on high school sports from around the state.