State badminton singles, doubles seeds set for Oct. 18-19
Originally published: Oct 16, 2013 - 12:00 am
The seeds are set for the 2013 state badminton singles and doubles competition taking place Friday (Oct. 18) and Saturday (Oct. 19) at Glendale Independence High School. Seeding took place Wednesday night and new champions will be crowned since the 2012 winners graduated.
Competition begins Friday at 1 p.m. with a couple of rounds and resumes Saturday at 10 a.m. with the quarterfinals, semis and finals. All competition is at Independence High.
Here are the eight seeds for singles and doubles:
SINGLES: No. 1 seed -- Kiyoko Hashimoto, Mtn. Pointe (2nd in 2012); 2. Vaishnavi Koka, Mtn. Pointe (3rd in 2012); 3. Jenna Scheelan, Chandler (3rd doubles in 2012); 4. Karen Guo, Desert Vista; 5. Areta Buness, Xavier; 6. Avalon Lubera, Sunnyslope; 7. Amitty Carillo, Independence; 8. Emily Jing, Desert Vista.
DOUBLES: No. 1 seed -- Tiffany Pariva-Drishti Panse, Hamilton (quarterfinalists in 2012); 2. Kirielle Singarajah-Teal Weaver, Xavier; 3. Rachel Price-Valeria Rozon, Mnt. Ridge (quarterfinalists in 2012); 4. Jenna Reynolds-Laynee Gomez, Perry; 5. Hazel Sayco-Destiney Kirby, Desert Ridge; 6. Karolyn Ly-Brandi Sylvan, Millennium; 7. Chloe Lewis-Amber Reicks, Shadow Mountain; 8. Baani Khurana-Mallory Belknap, Xavier.
- Chuck Schmidt - Saturday March 8AIA Associate Executive Director joins the show this morning.
- Karen Self - Saturday March 8Seton Catholic Head Girls Basketball Coach, Karen Self, joins the show.
- Jerry Conner - Saturday March 8Shadow Mountain Head Coach, Jerry Conner, joins the show.
- J'ohntar Coleman - Saturday March 8Desert Vista Head Girls Basketball Coach, J'ohntar Coleman, joins the show.
- March 8, 2014 - Hour: 1Player Casey Benson and coaches J'ohntar Coleman and Jerry Conner join the show.
- March 8, 2014 - Hour: 2Karen Self and AIA's Chuck Schmidt join the show.
- March 1, 2014 - Hour: 1Jim Smith, Brian Bolitho and Paul Coro join the show.
- March 1, 2014 - Hour: 2This hour James Kirk, Lisa Contreras and Sam Duane join the show
- February 22, 2014 - Hour: 1In this hour, Michael Carutenuto, Les Wilsey and Jason Skoda join the show.