Desert Mtn. FB rallies in 2nd half to belt Mesa Mtn. View
Originally published: Oct 10, 2013 - 12:00 am
Desert Mountain quarterback Kyle Allen and receiver Mark Andrews have combined to destroy Mesa Mountain View in three meetings the last two years.
The dynamic duo stepped aside Thursday night to give Deion Warren a chance. The result was Desert Mountain's fourth win in as many meetings with Mountain View over that period.
The junior running back-linebacker scored four touchdowns and helped an aggressive, blitizing defense take control in the second half as Desert Mountain rallied for a critical 48-31 win over visiting Mountain View in a Division I matchup.
Desert Mountain improved to 3-4 with the victory and should move up some next week from the No. 21 spot in the D-I power rankings. The Wolves outscored Mountain View 34-7 in the second half, capitalizing on Mountain View miscues in the third period and playing some of its best defense of the year in the second half. Mountain View (5-2) was No. 5 in the D-I power-rankings heading into Thursday's contest. A solid first half from the Toros wasn't good enough to overcome Desert Mountain's blitzkrieg in the third and fourth periods.
Warren, the team's leading rusher and in the shadows of Allen and Andrews, carried 23 times for 164 yards. He also caught four passes for 50 yards. He rushed for three touchdowns and had one receiving TD. He had another TD reception (50 yards) called back due to a penalty.
On defense Desert Mountain got back in the game recording a safety and then getting possession at the Mountain View 5 after Mountain View muffed a pun. Warren's 5-yard TD recepetion pulled Desert Mountain within 24-22 with 8:16 left in the third. Six minutes later his 8-yard TD run put Desert Mountain ahead to stay, 30-24.
Warren was a factor as well on defense. He forced a fumble, recorded two sack and added a handful of pressures of Mountain View quarterback John Clark in the second half. Desert Mountain rendered Clark harmless through the first 16 minutes of the second half, limiting him to 2-of-11 passing for 41 yards and zero points. Mountain View scored its only points of the second half with 2:41 to play on a Clark to Clark Brown TD pass. That ended a run of 27 consecutive points by Desert Mountain, but not enough to make a game of it at that point.
Clark ended the night completing 20-of-41 for 295 yards, one TD and one interception. Not helped by a banged up receiving corps, Clark threw often to the speedy Brown. Brown caught 13 passes for 213 yards.
Mountain View built a 24-14 lead at halftime by using a first-play interception of Allen and two time-consuming touchdown drives for 21 of its 24 points. Mountain View effectively mixed run and pass on scoring marches of 65 and 78 yards. Clark scored one of the TDs on a 1-yard run and halfback Caleb Daniels scored on two short runs. Daniels scored the game's first TD after Connor Ipsen's pick and long return in the game's opening 20 seconds.
Allen, who along with Andrews has given Mountain View fits the last three seasons, started slowly.His first two passes were intercepted and he finished the opening half 10-of-16 passing for 79 yards. Andrews caught three passes in the first half for 33 yards and drew at least double coverage on every route. Mountain View's attention to Andrews was understandable since over the three meetings between the teams the last two years, Andrews had 25 catches for 453 yards and seven TDs. As a result Warren was in the spotlight and filled it well.
- Dave Zorn - Saturday June 14Host of the Friday Night Wrap-Up Show, Dave Zorn, joins the show to talk about why he is leaving.
- Chuck Schmidt - Saturday June 14AIA Executive Director, Chuck Schmidt, joins the show to talk about everything AIA.
- Blake Jackson - Saturday June 7Gilbert High School, Scottsdale Community College and Oklahoma State alum, Blake Jackson joins the s
- Casey Benson - Saturday June 7Three Time State Champion PG for Corona Del Sol, Casey Benson, joins the show.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Jim and Craig talk to Chuck Schmidt and Dave Zorn.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 1In this hour Jim and Craig talk to 3 TV's Tyler Baldwin and Az Central's Richard Obert.
- June 7, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365, in this hour Sammy Chagolla, Bryce Perkins and Ky Westbrook join the show.
- June 7, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Cole Tucker, Casey Benson and Blake Jackson join the show.
- May 31, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365 Show, bringing the latest in high school sports around the state.