Blue Ridge, Show Low ready for another tough football game
Originally published: Oct 10, 2013 - 12:00 am
Note: This article includes home games in the writer’s area of coverage, which is as follows: from Fountain Hills west through Scottsdale, all of Phoenix (except for Ahwatukee), the southwest, northwest and northern sections of the metro area. Other locales include northern, northeast and northwest Arizona.
Here is a look at some of the top football games in the area on Friday night (Oct. 11) . . .
Lakeside Blue Ridge (5-1) at Show Low (4-2) – There never seems to be a dull moment in this White Mountains rivalry, one of the state’s best.
Blue Ridge, the Division VI runner-up in 2012, has won five in a row after dropping its opener, including a big 38-35 win over another area rival, Snowflake, last week. Show Low lost two of its first three, then rebounded by averaging 69 points in its next three games.
Bagdad (5-0) at Salome (6-0) – Bagdad is No. 3 in the latest Arizona Interscholastic Association power-points list for Division VI (eight-man), and Salome is No. 5. Both teams are eager to prove they are among the elite teams in the state playoffs.
Phoenix Bourgade Catholic (6-0) at Phoenix Northwest Christian (5-1) – Bourgade is in the process of putting together one of its best seasons in recent years, but remaining unbeaten will be a difficult task, particularly against a team that is madder than a hornet’s nest after losing its homecoming game to Phoenix Arizona Lutheran last week.
Avondale Westview (6-0) at Surprise Valley Vista (4-2) – Valley Vista is quietly building a power on the west side and a win over what might be Westview’s best team ever would be another significant step.
Avondale Agua Fria (4-2) at Surprise Shadow Ridge (4-2) – After losing its first two games, Agua Fria has won four in a row and is sneaking up the Division III ladder. Shadow Ridge has defeated some strong teams but was trounced by Goodyear Desert Edge. It has plenty of company in that regard, however.
Gilbert Mesquite (5-1) at Glendale Cactus (4-2) – Mesquite, the No. 7 team in Division II, is coming off back-to-back shutouts for first-year coach Jim Jones, who has been around the block a few times and is always looking for an edge. Cactus field boss Larry Fetkenhier also had been around awhile and knows the value of a possible victory over a solid southeast Valley opponent in terms of picking up Division III power points.
Fountain Hills (4-2) at Snowflake (5-1) – Snowflake suffered a tough 38-35 loss to Lakeside Blue Ridge last week and is looking to bounce back. The Lobos still are No. 2 in power points. Fountain Hills is No. 11 and trying to move up into the top eight in D-IV and earn a first-round playoff game at home.
Phoenix Desert Vista (3-3) at Peoria Centennial (5-1) – It was just two years ago that Desert Vista defeated Chandler Hamilton in the Division I title game. Now the Thunder are trying to escape the shadow of Ahwatukee neighbor Phoenix Mountain Pointe. They have a big challenge here against a Division II contender that features perhaps the state’s best running back (Dedrick Young) and a strong offensive line.
- Perry High Sophomore and Arizona State Basketball Commit Markus Howard - Saturday August 30Markus Howard talks about committing to ASU and the upcoming season for Perry High School.
- Xavier Prep Junior and USC Girl's Volleyball Commit Khalia Lanier - Saturday August 30Khalia Lanier talks about the volleyball season and her commitment to USC.
- Basha Head Football Coach Gerald Todd - Saturday August 30Gerald Todd talks about getting their first win of the season against Desert Vista.
- Jim and Mark Sollenberger Brothers of Barry Sollenberger - Saturday August 23Jim and Mark Sollenberger talk about the Sollenberger Classic and what the event means to the Sollen
- August 30, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps recaps week 1 of the AZ HS sports season.
- August 30, 2014 - Hour: 2Arizona Sports Preps 365 recaps week 1 of the Arizona High School sports season.
- August 23, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365 recaps and previews the Sollenberger Classic football games.
- August 23, 2014 - Hour: 2Arizona Sports Preps 365 Recaps and Previews the Sollenberger Classic Game in Las Vegas.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Jim and Craig talk to Chuck Schmidt and Dave Zorn.