Florence High mourns death of football coach Steve McKane
Originally published: Oct 8, 2013 - 12:00 am
Florence High was set to celebrate.Spirit Day Tuesday, part of preparation for homecoming week at the school. The festive mood was shattered by the passing of head football coach Steve McKane.
McKane, 38, passed away early Tuesday morning after suffering an apparent heart attack at his home in San Tan Valley. McKane, was a two-way, all-state player at Mesa High (center and linebacker). He played on two state championship teams with the Jackrabbits (1990 and 1992). McKane went on to play four seasons at the University of Utah (1997-2000) after serving a mission for his church after high school.
"We are just shocked, stunned," Florence principal Thad Gates said. "We have heavy hearts for him, his wife and three boys. He's a great coach and an even better man. Our kids loved hiim, and are just devastated."
Steve McKane was in his second season as head coach (third overall) at Florence after serving several years in different locales as an assistant coach. Florence was 5-5 last season and 3-3 in 2013. The team is preparing for Friday's game against Combs. Steve McKane will be inducted next month in to the Mesa Sports Hall of Fame for his prowess on the football field.
McKane's father, Bill McKane, a longtime coach at Mesa High, has been serving as Florence's defensive coordinator. Bill McKane volunteered Tuesday to take over as head coach for his son in the interim.
"That's his choice and we've acceped that," Gates said. "That's how his boy would have wanted it. It's a hard situation we have to get through...."
- Chuck Schmidt - Saturday April 12AIA Associate Executive Director Chuck Schmidt joins the show.
- Charlie Ragle - Saturday April 12U of A Assistant Coach and Tight Ends Coach Charlie Ragle joins the show.
- Matt Rogers - Saturday April 12Xavier Head Sand Volleyball Coach Matt Rogers joins the show.
- Mike Woods - Saturday April 12Hamilton Head Baseball Coach Mike Woods joins the show.
- April 12, 2014 - Hour: 1ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson, Hamilton Head Baseball Coach Mike Woods, and Xavier Sand Volleyb
- April 12, 2014 - Hour: 2U of A Assistant Coach Coach Charlie Ragle and AIA Associate Executive Director Chuck Schmidt join t
- April 5, 2014 - Hour: 1In this hour AIA 365's Les Wilsey joins the show.
- April 5, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Michael Rabasca, Ky Westbrook, and Richard Obert join the show.
- March 29, 2014 - Hour: 1Eric Kibler and Justin Allen join the show.