Sunnyslope earns title in Goldwater Volleyball Festival
Originally published: Oct 5, 2013 - 12:00 am
Things did not look good for the girls’ volleyball team from Phoenix Sunnyslope as it began its championship match of the Goldwater Volleyball Festival against Scottsdale Chaparral on Saturday night (Oct. 5).
The Vikings were a bit listless and appeared out of sync. Chaparral, with its tall, talented young front line, also had something to do with it.
Sunnyslope fell 25-17, but rebounded to take Game 2 25-16 and then won the decisive third game 15-13 to win the 32-team event at Phoenix Barry Goldwater.
The Vikings now essentially will get a week off from competitive play, getting in some practices as the school has its fall break.
The girls will be in a good frame of mind, and know very well that the situation could be much different had they not been able to rally.
Sunnyslope ran up an early seven-point lead in Game 2 and increased it to 10 going down the stretch.
Game 3 was much closer. Sunnyslope had a 14-10 lead and thought it had won the match with a kill by sophomore outside hitter Skylar Wine, but the officials reversed their call and ruled the shot out of bounds, keeping Chaparral alive.
The Firebirds cut the lead to 14-12 but returned one long out of bounds and then were victimized by a kill by another Sunnyslope sophomore, Emma Wright.
Asked what turned things around for her team, Sunnyslope coach Amber LeTarte said, “We started to believe in ourselves. The defense picked it up. Once we got that confidence, the momentum started to carry us.’’
A major factor was the play of senior outside hitter Jenny Thompson, who had Chaparral ducking for cover with her powerful kills.
LeTarte has coached Thompson for awhile, but still marvels at the way she plays.
“She was on fire in this tournament,’’ LeTarte said.
“She is little in some ways (5-9), but she can jump out of the gym and pound the ball. She has so much power.’’
LeTarte is happy for the break, allowing her players to recharge their batteries.
“This was a good tournament. There are a lot of good teams here and it is good for us to have some confidence,’’ she said.
Peoria Centennial captured third place in the tournament with a win over Glendale Cactus.
- Seton Catholic Head Wrestling Coach Erik Larkin - Saturday December 14Seton Catholic Head Wrestling Coach,Erik Larkin joins the show.
- Brophy Soccer Head Coach Noah Lewkowitz - Saturday December 14Brophy Soccer Head Coach,Noah Lewkowitz joins the show.
- AIA365.com's Jose Garcia - Saturday December 14AIA365.com's Jose Garcia joins the show.
- NBA player Mike Bibby - Saturday December 14Shadow Mountain, U of A NCAA Champion and NBA player Mike Bibby joins the show.
- December 14, 2013 - Hour: 1In this hour we discuss all the major winter sports headlines.
- December 14, 2013 - Hour: 2Arizona Sports Preps 365 bringing you all the highlights from winter sports around the state.
- December 7, 2013 - Hour: 1In this hour we talk to the Division I and Division IV State Title winners.
- November 30, 2013 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365 bringing you the latest in high school sports from around the state.
- November 30, 2013 - Hour: 2Arizona Sports Preps 365 bringing you the latest in high school sports from around the state.