Ariz. Lutheran offense, NW Christian defense set to collide
Originally published: Oct 3, 2013 - 12:00 am
Note: This article includes home games in the writer’s area of coverage, which is as follows: from Fountain Hills west through Scottsdale, all of Phoenix (except for Ahwatukee), the southwest, northwest and northern sections of the metro area. Other locales include northern, northeast and northwest Arizona.
Here is a look at some of the top football games in the area on Friday night (Oct. 4) . . .
Phoenix Arizona Lutheran (5-0) at Phoenix Northwest Christian (5-0) – Which has the greater will, the Arizona Lutheran offense or Northwest Christian defense?
Arizona Lutheran is averaging 56.6 points per game and Division V defending champion Northwest Christian is giving up just 9.2.
Snowflake (5-0) at Lakeside Blue Ridge (4-1) – Snowflake has been playing like a Division IV contender, but the true test comes here against one the perennial powers and 2012 state runner-up.
Blue Ridge defeated Snowflake in last year’s semifinals 44-0 before going on to absorb a 28-7 setback against Chandler Seton Catholic in the title game.
Phoenix Sunnyslope (5-0) at Cave Creek Cactus Shadows (4-1) – Sunnyslope is rolling right along behind the play of 6-foot-9 quarterback Michael Humphrey and running back Tim Fryson, who has rushed for 662 yards and eight touchdowns. Cactus Shadows features a balanced offense.
Surprise Shadow Ridge (4-1) at Buckeye (4-1) – Buckeye is trying to rebound after a setback to Avondale Agua Fria last week, while Shadow Ridge is back on track with a win over Phoenix Sierra Linda that followed a big loss to Goodyear Desert Edge.
Glendale Joy Christian (4-1) at Williams (4-1) – Except for a stumble against Arizona Lutheran, Joy Christian is making a smooth transition from Division VI to Division V and putting a lot of points on the board in the process. Williams has two shutouts and has given up just 6 points in two other games.
Goodyear Millennium (2-3) at Surprise Valley Vista (3-2) – Both teams are searching for consistency as they battle for valuable power points and a possible spot in the Division I playoffs.
Heber Mogollon (4-1) at Mayer (3-3) – The strength of Division VI eight-man ball appears to be in the southern part of the state this year, but Mogollon is carrying the banner for the northern part, along with Bagdad.
- Blue Ridge Head Coach Paul Moro - Saturday December 7Blue Ridge Head Coach Paul Moro joins the show to discuss winning the Division IV title last week.
- Mountain Pointe Head Coach Norris Vaughan - Saturday December 7Mountain Pointe Head Football Coach Norris Vaughan joins the show to discuss winning the Division I
- Cameron Denson Interview - Saturday November 30Salpointe Catholic player Cameron Denson talks about winning the state title and what's next for hi
- Coach Dave Inness Interview - Saturday November 30AIA Color Analyst and Northwest Christian Head Coach Dave Inness previews tonight's championships.
- December 7, 2013 - Hour: 1In this hour we talk to the Division I and Division IV State Title winners.
- November 30, 2013 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365 bringing you the latest in high school sports from around the state.
- November 30, 2013 - Hour: 2Arizona Sports Preps 365 bringing you the latest in high school sports from around the state.
- November 23, 2013 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365 bringing you the latest in high school sports from around the state.
- November 23, 2013 - Hour: 2Arizona Sports Preps 365 bringing you the latest in high school sports from around the state.