Ariz. Lutheran offense, NW Christian defense set to collide
Originally published: Oct 3, 2013 - 12:00 am
Note: This article includes home games in the writer’s area of coverage, which is as follows: from Fountain Hills west through Scottsdale, all of Phoenix (except for Ahwatukee), the southwest, northwest and northern sections of the metro area. Other locales include northern, northeast and northwest Arizona.
Here is a look at some of the top football games in the area on Friday night (Oct. 4) . . .
Phoenix Arizona Lutheran (5-0) at Phoenix Northwest Christian (5-0) – Which has the greater will, the Arizona Lutheran offense or Northwest Christian defense?
Arizona Lutheran is averaging 56.6 points per game and Division V defending champion Northwest Christian is giving up just 9.2.
Snowflake (5-0) at Lakeside Blue Ridge (4-1) – Snowflake has been playing like a Division IV contender, but the true test comes here against one the perennial powers and 2012 state runner-up.
Blue Ridge defeated Snowflake in last year’s semifinals 44-0 before going on to absorb a 28-7 setback against Chandler Seton Catholic in the title game.
Phoenix Sunnyslope (5-0) at Cave Creek Cactus Shadows (4-1) – Sunnyslope is rolling right along behind the play of 6-foot-9 quarterback Michael Humphrey and running back Tim Fryson, who has rushed for 662 yards and eight touchdowns. Cactus Shadows features a balanced offense.
Surprise Shadow Ridge (4-1) at Buckeye (4-1) – Buckeye is trying to rebound after a setback to Avondale Agua Fria last week, while Shadow Ridge is back on track with a win over Phoenix Sierra Linda that followed a big loss to Goodyear Desert Edge.
Glendale Joy Christian (4-1) at Williams (4-1) – Except for a stumble against Arizona Lutheran, Joy Christian is making a smooth transition from Division VI to Division V and putting a lot of points on the board in the process. Williams has two shutouts and has given up just 6 points in two other games.
Goodyear Millennium (2-3) at Surprise Valley Vista (3-2) – Both teams are searching for consistency as they battle for valuable power points and a possible spot in the Division I playoffs.
Heber Mogollon (4-1) at Mayer (3-3) – The strength of Division VI eight-man ball appears to be in the southern part of the state this year, but Mogollon is carrying the banner for the northern part, along with Bagdad.
- Dave Zorn - Saturday June 14Host of the Friday Night Wrap-Up Show, Dave Zorn, joins the show to talk about why he is leaving.
- Chuck Schmidt - Saturday June 14AIA Executive Director, Chuck Schmidt, joins the show to talk about everything AIA.
- Blake Jackson - Saturday June 7Gilbert High School, Scottsdale Community College and Oklahoma State alum, Blake Jackson joins the s
- Casey Benson - Saturday June 7Three Time State Champion PG for Corona Del Sol, Casey Benson, joins the show.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Jim and Craig talk to Chuck Schmidt and Dave Zorn.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 1In this hour Jim and Craig talk to 3 TV's Tyler Baldwin and Az Central's Richard Obert.
- June 7, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365, in this hour Sammy Chagolla, Bryce Perkins and Ky Westbrook join the show.
- June 7, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Cole Tucker, Casey Benson and Blake Jackson join the show.
- May 31, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365 Show, bringing the latest in high school sports around the state.