Ariz. Lutheran offense, NW Christian defense set to collide
Originally published: Oct 3, 2013 - 12:00 am
Note: This article includes home games in the writer’s area of coverage, which is as follows: from Fountain Hills west through Scottsdale, all of Phoenix (except for Ahwatukee), the southwest, northwest and northern sections of the metro area. Other locales include northern, northeast and northwest Arizona.
Here is a look at some of the top football games in the area on Friday night (Oct. 4) . . .
Phoenix Arizona Lutheran (5-0) at Phoenix Northwest Christian (5-0) – Which has the greater will, the Arizona Lutheran offense or Northwest Christian defense?
Arizona Lutheran is averaging 56.6 points per game and Division V defending champion Northwest Christian is giving up just 9.2.
Snowflake (5-0) at Lakeside Blue Ridge (4-1) – Snowflake has been playing like a Division IV contender, but the true test comes here against one the perennial powers and 2012 state runner-up.
Blue Ridge defeated Snowflake in last year’s semifinals 44-0 before going on to absorb a 28-7 setback against Chandler Seton Catholic in the title game.
Phoenix Sunnyslope (5-0) at Cave Creek Cactus Shadows (4-1) – Sunnyslope is rolling right along behind the play of 6-foot-9 quarterback Michael Humphrey and running back Tim Fryson, who has rushed for 662 yards and eight touchdowns. Cactus Shadows features a balanced offense.
Surprise Shadow Ridge (4-1) at Buckeye (4-1) – Buckeye is trying to rebound after a setback to Avondale Agua Fria last week, while Shadow Ridge is back on track with a win over Phoenix Sierra Linda that followed a big loss to Goodyear Desert Edge.
Glendale Joy Christian (4-1) at Williams (4-1) – Except for a stumble against Arizona Lutheran, Joy Christian is making a smooth transition from Division VI to Division V and putting a lot of points on the board in the process. Williams has two shutouts and has given up just 6 points in two other games.
Goodyear Millennium (2-3) at Surprise Valley Vista (3-2) – Both teams are searching for consistency as they battle for valuable power points and a possible spot in the Division I playoffs.
Heber Mogollon (4-1) at Mayer (3-3) – The strength of Division VI eight-man ball appears to be in the southern part of the state this year, but Mogollon is carrying the banner for the northern part, along with Bagdad.
- Lisa Contreras - Saturday March 1Head coach of the Westview girl's basketball team, Lisa Contreras, joins the show.
- Sam Duane - Saturday March 1Corona del Sol Head Coach Sam Duane joins the show.
- James Kirk - Saturday March 1Flagstaff Head Coach James Kirk joins the show.
- Paul Coro - Saturday March 1AZ Central's Paul Coro joins the show.
- March 1, 2014 - Hour: 1Jim Smith, Brian Bolitho and Paul Coro join the show.
- March 1, 2014 - Hour: 2This hour James Kirk, Lisa Contreras and Sam Duane join the show
- February 22, 2014 - Hour: 1In this hour, Michael Carutenuto, Les Wilsey and Jason Skoda join the show.
- February 22, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour of the show we have The Full Court Press and David Hopkinson and Richard Obert also joi
- February 15, 2014 - Hour: 1AIA 365 - Bringing the highest quality on air content covering Arizona and National Prep Athletics.