Deer Valley District, AIA to discuss corrective action
Originally published: Oct 2, 2013 - 12:00 am
The Deer Valley Unified School District is preparing to present “corrective personnel action” for its probation status during a special Oct. 8 meeting with the Arizona Interscholastic Association’s executive board.
Deer Valley High’s athletic programs were placed on probation after the school’s leaders agreed to play two ineligible football players.
Below is a press release the AIA is sending out today about the special meeting.
AIA EXECUTIVE BOARD TO HEAR APPEAL FROM DEER VALLEY UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT REGARDING DEER VALLEY HIGH SCHOOL’S PROBATION SANCTION
PHOENIX, AZ (Oct. 2, 2013) – On September 16, 2013, the AIA Executive Board unanimously voted to place Deer Valley High School on probation for the 2013-2014 school year. The action was taken after the school knowingly violated AIA bylaws and played two ineligible players in a recent football game. The probation status prevents Deer Valley High School from participating in all State Tournaments.
In an effort to handle the matter appropriately, the Deer Valley Unified School District has indicated they will present corrective personnel action to appeal the Board’s decision during a specialOctober 8, 2013 Board meeting called for this matter.
“The decision of the board was made with a great deal of thought, reflection and discussion. The hope has always been that the school and district would take appropriate personnel action so this decision could be re-evaluated prior to any tournaments this year. We are grateful to the parents and students who took the time and effort to express their viewpoints and to the district administrators and school board for taking action and demonstrating the values of accountability, cooperation and integrity,” says Chuck Schmidt, AIA Associate Executive Director.
The special Board Meeting will be held on October 8, 2013 at 10:00 a.m. The meeting is open to the public and official minutes will be posted at www.aiaonline.org.
- Perry High Sophomore and Arizona State Basketball Commit Markus Howard - Saturday August 30Markus Howard talks about committing to ASU and the upcoming season for Perry High School.
- Xavier Prep Junior and USC Girl's Volleyball Commit Khalia Lanier - Saturday August 30Khalia Lanier talks about the volleyball season and her commitment to USC.
- Basha Head Football Coach Gerald Todd - Saturday August 30Gerald Todd talks about getting their first win of the season against Desert Vista.
- Jim and Mark Sollenberger Brothers of Barry Sollenberger - Saturday August 23Jim and Mark Sollenberger talk about the Sollenberger Classic and what the event means to the Sollen
- August 30, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps recaps week 1 of the AZ HS sports season.
- August 30, 2014 - Hour: 2Arizona Sports Preps 365 recaps week 1 of the Arizona High School sports season.
- August 23, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365 recaps and previews the Sollenberger Classic football games.
- August 23, 2014 - Hour: 2Arizona Sports Preps 365 Recaps and Previews the Sollenberger Classic Game in Las Vegas.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Jim and Craig talk to Chuck Schmidt and Dave Zorn.