Deer Valley District, AIA to discuss corrective action
Originally published: Oct 2, 2013 - 12:00 am
The Deer Valley Unified School District is preparing to present “corrective personnel action” for its probation status during a special Oct. 8 meeting with the Arizona Interscholastic Association’s executive board.
Deer Valley High’s athletic programs were placed on probation after the school’s leaders agreed to play two ineligible football players.
Below is a press release the AIA is sending out today about the special meeting.
AIA EXECUTIVE BOARD TO HEAR APPEAL FROM DEER VALLEY UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT REGARDING DEER VALLEY HIGH SCHOOL’S PROBATION SANCTION
PHOENIX, AZ (Oct. 2, 2013) – On September 16, 2013, the AIA Executive Board unanimously voted to place Deer Valley High School on probation for the 2013-2014 school year. The action was taken after the school knowingly violated AIA bylaws and played two ineligible players in a recent football game. The probation status prevents Deer Valley High School from participating in all State Tournaments.
In an effort to handle the matter appropriately, the Deer Valley Unified School District has indicated they will present corrective personnel action to appeal the Board’s decision during a specialOctober 8, 2013 Board meeting called for this matter.
“The decision of the board was made with a great deal of thought, reflection and discussion. The hope has always been that the school and district would take appropriate personnel action so this decision could be re-evaluated prior to any tournaments this year. We are grateful to the parents and students who took the time and effort to express their viewpoints and to the district administrators and school board for taking action and demonstrating the values of accountability, cooperation and integrity,” says Chuck Schmidt, AIA Associate Executive Director.
The special Board Meeting will be held on October 8, 2013 at 10:00 a.m. The meeting is open to the public and official minutes will be posted at www.aiaonline.org.
- Paul Lopez - Saturday April 19Mountain Pointe Football and Track Athlete Paul Lucas joins the show.
- Jerry Dawson - Saturday April 19Former Chaparral Baseball Manager Jerry Dawson joins the show.
- Geno Fata - Saturday April 19Geno Fata Account Executive with the Diamondbacks joins the show.
- Jean Boyd - Saturday April 19ASU Associate Senior Athletic Director Jean Boyd joins the show.
- April 19, 2014 - Hour: 1Phoenix Suns Spirit of Cotton Award Winner and Valley Lutheran Head boys’ Basketball coach Robert Ko
- April 19, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Geno Fata, Jerry Dawson and Paul Lucas join the show.
- April 12, 2014 - Hour: 1ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson, Hamilton Head Baseball Coach Mike Woods, and Xavier Sand Volleyb
- April 12, 2014 - Hour: 2U of A Assistant Coach Coach Charlie Ragle and AIA Associate Executive Director Chuck Schmidt join t
- April 5, 2014 - Hour: 1In this hour AIA 365's Les Wilsey joins the show.