Deer Valley District, AIA to discuss corrective action
Originally published: Oct 2, 2013 - 12:00 am
The Deer Valley Unified School District is preparing to present “corrective personnel action” for its probation status during a special Oct. 8 meeting with the Arizona Interscholastic Association’s executive board.
Deer Valley High’s athletic programs were placed on probation after the school’s leaders agreed to play two ineligible football players.
Below is a press release the AIA is sending out today about the special meeting.
AIA EXECUTIVE BOARD TO HEAR APPEAL FROM DEER VALLEY UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT REGARDING DEER VALLEY HIGH SCHOOL’S PROBATION SANCTION
PHOENIX, AZ (Oct. 2, 2013) – On September 16, 2013, the AIA Executive Board unanimously voted to place Deer Valley High School on probation for the 2013-2014 school year. The action was taken after the school knowingly violated AIA bylaws and played two ineligible players in a recent football game. The probation status prevents Deer Valley High School from participating in all State Tournaments.
In an effort to handle the matter appropriately, the Deer Valley Unified School District has indicated they will present corrective personnel action to appeal the Board’s decision during a specialOctober 8, 2013 Board meeting called for this matter.
“The decision of the board was made with a great deal of thought, reflection and discussion. The hope has always been that the school and district would take appropriate personnel action so this decision could be re-evaluated prior to any tournaments this year. We are grateful to the parents and students who took the time and effort to express their viewpoints and to the district administrators and school board for taking action and demonstrating the values of accountability, cooperation and integrity,” says Chuck Schmidt, AIA Associate Executive Director.
The special Board Meeting will be held on October 8, 2013 at 10:00 a.m. The meeting is open to the public and official minutes will be posted at www.aiaonline.org.
- Dave Zorn - Saturday June 14Host of the Friday Night Wrap-Up Show, Dave Zorn, joins the show to talk about why he is leaving.
- Chuck Schmidt - Saturday June 14AIA Executive Director, Chuck Schmidt, joins the show to talk about everything AIA.
- Blake Jackson - Saturday June 7Gilbert High School, Scottsdale Community College and Oklahoma State alum, Blake Jackson joins the s
- Casey Benson - Saturday June 7Three Time State Champion PG for Corona Del Sol, Casey Benson, joins the show.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Jim and Craig talk to Chuck Schmidt and Dave Zorn.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 1In this hour Jim and Craig talk to 3 TV's Tyler Baldwin and Az Central's Richard Obert.
- June 7, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365, in this hour Sammy Chagolla, Bryce Perkins and Ky Westbrook join the show.
- June 7, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Cole Tucker, Casey Benson and Blake Jackson join the show.
- May 31, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365 Show, bringing the latest in high school sports around the state.