Deer Valley District, AIA to discuss corrective action
Originally published: Oct 2, 2013 - 12:00 am
The Deer Valley Unified School District is preparing to present “corrective personnel action” for its probation status during a special Oct. 8 meeting with the Arizona Interscholastic Association’s executive board.
Deer Valley High’s athletic programs were placed on probation after the school’s leaders agreed to play two ineligible football players.
Below is a press release the AIA is sending out today about the special meeting.
AIA EXECUTIVE BOARD TO HEAR APPEAL FROM DEER VALLEY UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT REGARDING DEER VALLEY HIGH SCHOOL’S PROBATION SANCTION
PHOENIX, AZ (Oct. 2, 2013) – On September 16, 2013, the AIA Executive Board unanimously voted to place Deer Valley High School on probation for the 2013-2014 school year. The action was taken after the school knowingly violated AIA bylaws and played two ineligible players in a recent football game. The probation status prevents Deer Valley High School from participating in all State Tournaments.
In an effort to handle the matter appropriately, the Deer Valley Unified School District has indicated they will present corrective personnel action to appeal the Board’s decision during a specialOctober 8, 2013 Board meeting called for this matter.
“The decision of the board was made with a great deal of thought, reflection and discussion. The hope has always been that the school and district would take appropriate personnel action so this decision could be re-evaluated prior to any tournaments this year. We are grateful to the parents and students who took the time and effort to express their viewpoints and to the district administrators and school board for taking action and demonstrating the values of accountability, cooperation and integrity,” says Chuck Schmidt, AIA Associate Executive Director.
The special Board Meeting will be held on October 8, 2013 at 10:00 a.m. The meeting is open to the public and official minutes will be posted at www.aiaonline.org.
- Chuck Schmidt - Saturday March 8AIA Associate Executive Director joins the show this morning.
- Karen Self - Saturday March 8Seton Catholic Head Girls Basketball Coach, Karen Self, joins the show.
- Jerry Conner - Saturday March 8Shadow Mountain Head Coach, Jerry Conner, joins the show.
- J'ohntar Coleman - Saturday March 8Desert Vista Head Girls Basketball Coach, J'ohntar Coleman, joins the show.
- March 8, 2014 - Hour: 1Player Casey Benson and coaches J'ohntar Coleman and Jerry Conner join the show.
- March 8, 2014 - Hour: 2Karen Self and AIA's Chuck Schmidt join the show.
- March 1, 2014 - Hour: 1Jim Smith, Brian Bolitho and Paul Coro join the show.
- March 1, 2014 - Hour: 2This hour James Kirk, Lisa Contreras and Sam Duane join the show
- February 22, 2014 - Hour: 1In this hour, Michael Carutenuto, Les Wilsey and Jason Skoda join the show.