Horizon volleyball clears another hurdle in a busy week
Originally published: Oct 1, 2013 - 12:00 am
Shutting down the government might just be easier than shutting down the girls’ volleyball team from Phoenix Horizon.
The defending Division I champion Huskies continued to roll along on Tuesday night (Oct. 1), sweeping visiting Phoenix Sandra Day O’Connor in the midst of one of its busiest weeks of the season.
The scores were 25-17, 25-12 and 25-18.
Horizon improved to 13-1. Its only loss was to Kamehamea of Hawaii in the recent Durango Classic in Las Vegas. Sandra Day O’Connor slipped to 13-2. Its only other setback was to Glendale Cactus.
Horizon began this week with a win over Cave Creek Cactus Shadows, and will follow up Tuesday night’s win with a match at Laveen Betty H. Fairfax on Thursday night (Oct. 3). Then it’s on to the eight-team Gilbert Invitational, an eight-team round-robin tournament on Friday (Oct. 4) and Saturday (Oct. 5). The Huskies will play seven matches in two days against Phoenix Xavier Prep, Gilbert, Phoenix Desert Vista, Phoenix Mountain Pointe, Chandler Hamilton, Tempe Corona del Sol and Chandler Basha.
Sandra Day O’Connor, meanwhile, will play host to Anthem Boulder Creek on Thursday night and then play in the Goldwater Volleyball Festival on Friday and Saturday at Phoenix Barry Goldwater.
Horizon coach Valorie McKenzie is using this week to give as many people on her roster as much experience as possible.
“We’ll have a light, fundamental practice on Wednesday (Oct. 2) and then get back at it against Fairfax,’’ McKenzie said.
“O’Connor gave it all they had in the first set and we thought we would be in for a good competitive match, but we got better after that.’’
Horizon’s scoring was pretty much evenly distributed across its front line. Jensen Cunningham had 10 kills and Natalie Tardy and Sierra Nobley had nine apiece.
And libero Jordan Anderson kept Sandra Day O’Connor off balance with a variety of serves. She had six aces.
“She can do a lot with her serves. Short, deep, whatever we need,’’ McKenzie said.
That spells trouble for opponents any way you look at it.
- Dave Zorn - Saturday June 14Host of the Friday Night Wrap-Up Show, Dave Zorn, joins the show to talk about why he is leaving.
- Chuck Schmidt - Saturday June 14AIA Executive Director, Chuck Schmidt, joins the show to talk about everything AIA.
- Blake Jackson - Saturday June 7Gilbert High School, Scottsdale Community College and Oklahoma State alum, Blake Jackson joins the s
- Casey Benson - Saturday June 7Three Time State Champion PG for Corona Del Sol, Casey Benson, joins the show.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Jim and Craig talk to Chuck Schmidt and Dave Zorn.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 1In this hour Jim and Craig talk to 3 TV's Tyler Baldwin and Az Central's Richard Obert.
- June 7, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365, in this hour Sammy Chagolla, Bryce Perkins and Ky Westbrook join the show.
- June 7, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Cole Tucker, Casey Benson and Blake Jackson join the show.
- May 31, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365 Show, bringing the latest in high school sports around the state.