Horizon volleyball clears another hurdle in a busy week
Originally published: Oct 1, 2013 - 12:00 am
Shutting down the government might just be easier than shutting down the girls’ volleyball team from Phoenix Horizon.
The defending Division I champion Huskies continued to roll along on Tuesday night (Oct. 1), sweeping visiting Phoenix Sandra Day O’Connor in the midst of one of its busiest weeks of the season.
The scores were 25-17, 25-12 and 25-18.
Horizon improved to 13-1. Its only loss was to Kamehamea of Hawaii in the recent Durango Classic in Las Vegas. Sandra Day O’Connor slipped to 13-2. Its only other setback was to Glendale Cactus.
Horizon began this week with a win over Cave Creek Cactus Shadows, and will follow up Tuesday night’s win with a match at Laveen Betty H. Fairfax on Thursday night (Oct. 3). Then it’s on to the eight-team Gilbert Invitational, an eight-team round-robin tournament on Friday (Oct. 4) and Saturday (Oct. 5). The Huskies will play seven matches in two days against Phoenix Xavier Prep, Gilbert, Phoenix Desert Vista, Phoenix Mountain Pointe, Chandler Hamilton, Tempe Corona del Sol and Chandler Basha.
Sandra Day O’Connor, meanwhile, will play host to Anthem Boulder Creek on Thursday night and then play in the Goldwater Volleyball Festival on Friday and Saturday at Phoenix Barry Goldwater.
Horizon coach Valorie McKenzie is using this week to give as many people on her roster as much experience as possible.
“We’ll have a light, fundamental practice on Wednesday (Oct. 2) and then get back at it against Fairfax,’’ McKenzie said.
“O’Connor gave it all they had in the first set and we thought we would be in for a good competitive match, but we got better after that.’’
Horizon’s scoring was pretty much evenly distributed across its front line. Jensen Cunningham had 10 kills and Natalie Tardy and Sierra Nobley had nine apiece.
And libero Jordan Anderson kept Sandra Day O’Connor off balance with a variety of serves. She had six aces.
“She can do a lot with her serves. Short, deep, whatever we need,’’ McKenzie said.
That spells trouble for opponents any way you look at it.
- Perry High Sophomore and Arizona State Basketball Commit Markus Howard - Saturday August 30Markus Howard talks about committing to ASU and the upcoming season for Perry High School.
- Xavier Prep Junior and USC Girl's Volleyball Commit Khalia Lanier - Saturday August 30Khalia Lanier talks about the volleyball season and her commitment to USC.
- Basha Head Football Coach Gerald Todd - Saturday August 30Gerald Todd talks about getting their first win of the season against Desert Vista.
- Jim and Mark Sollenberger Brothers of Barry Sollenberger - Saturday August 23Jim and Mark Sollenberger talk about the Sollenberger Classic and what the event means to the Sollen
- August 30, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps recaps week 1 of the AZ HS sports season.
- August 30, 2014 - Hour: 2Arizona Sports Preps 365 recaps week 1 of the Arizona High School sports season.
- August 23, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365 recaps and previews the Sollenberger Classic football games.
- August 23, 2014 - Hour: 2Arizona Sports Preps 365 Recaps and Previews the Sollenberger Classic Game in Las Vegas.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Jim and Craig talk to Chuck Schmidt and Dave Zorn.