Horizon volleyball clears another hurdle in a busy week
Originally published: Oct 1, 2013 - 12:00 am
Shutting down the government might just be easier than shutting down the girls’ volleyball team from Phoenix Horizon.
The defending Division I champion Huskies continued to roll along on Tuesday night (Oct. 1), sweeping visiting Phoenix Sandra Day O’Connor in the midst of one of its busiest weeks of the season.
The scores were 25-17, 25-12 and 25-18.
Horizon improved to 13-1. Its only loss was to Kamehamea of Hawaii in the recent Durango Classic in Las Vegas. Sandra Day O’Connor slipped to 13-2. Its only other setback was to Glendale Cactus.
Horizon began this week with a win over Cave Creek Cactus Shadows, and will follow up Tuesday night’s win with a match at Laveen Betty H. Fairfax on Thursday night (Oct. 3). Then it’s on to the eight-team Gilbert Invitational, an eight-team round-robin tournament on Friday (Oct. 4) and Saturday (Oct. 5). The Huskies will play seven matches in two days against Phoenix Xavier Prep, Gilbert, Phoenix Desert Vista, Phoenix Mountain Pointe, Chandler Hamilton, Tempe Corona del Sol and Chandler Basha.
Sandra Day O’Connor, meanwhile, will play host to Anthem Boulder Creek on Thursday night and then play in the Goldwater Volleyball Festival on Friday and Saturday at Phoenix Barry Goldwater.
Horizon coach Valorie McKenzie is using this week to give as many people on her roster as much experience as possible.
“We’ll have a light, fundamental practice on Wednesday (Oct. 2) and then get back at it against Fairfax,’’ McKenzie said.
“O’Connor gave it all they had in the first set and we thought we would be in for a good competitive match, but we got better after that.’’
Horizon’s scoring was pretty much evenly distributed across its front line. Jensen Cunningham had 10 kills and Natalie Tardy and Sierra Nobley had nine apiece.
And libero Jordan Anderson kept Sandra Day O’Connor off balance with a variety of serves. She had six aces.
“She can do a lot with her serves. Short, deep, whatever we need,’’ McKenzie said.
That spells trouble for opponents any way you look at it.
- Chuck Schmidt - Saturday March 8AIA Associate Executive Director joins the show this morning.
- Karen Self - Saturday March 8Seton Catholic Head Girls Basketball Coach, Karen Self, joins the show.
- Jerry Conner - Saturday March 8Shadow Mountain Head Coach, Jerry Conner, joins the show.
- J'ohntar Coleman - Saturday March 8Desert Vista Head Girls Basketball Coach, J'ohntar Coleman, joins the show.
- March 8, 2014 - Hour: 1Player Casey Benson and coaches J'ohntar Coleman and Jerry Conner join the show.
- March 8, 2014 - Hour: 2Karen Self and AIA's Chuck Schmidt join the show.
- March 1, 2014 - Hour: 1Jim Smith, Brian Bolitho and Paul Coro join the show.
- March 1, 2014 - Hour: 2This hour James Kirk, Lisa Contreras and Sam Duane join the show
- February 22, 2014 - Hour: 1In this hour, Michael Carutenuto, Les Wilsey and Jason Skoda join the show.