Gilbert High hosts high-powered 8-team volleyball Invite
Originally published: Sep 30, 2013 - 12:00 am
Nothing like some highly-competitive volleyball to spice up fall break for eight East Valley schools this weekend.
Gilbert High hosts an eight-team, two-day round robin on Friday Oct. 4 and Saturday Oct. 5. Play begins Friday at 9 a.m. and continues through approximately 5 p.m. Action resumes Saturday at 9 a.m. and concludes approximately 3 p.m. Each school plays four matches on Friday and three on Saturday. There is no official championship match.
Schools competing are Basha, Corona del Sol, Desert Vista, Gilbert, Hamilton, Horizon, Mountain Pointe and Xavier. Seven of the eight are currently in the top-10 of Division I power rankings. Hamilton (1st), Horizon (2nd), Desert Vista (4th), Xavier (5th), Mountain Pointe (6th), Gilbert (8th) and Basha (10th). Corona del Sol is currently No. 14. Of the eight schools only one has never reached the finals of the big-school classification -- Basha. Basha has been open only a decade.
- Chuck Schmidt - Saturday April 12AIA Associate Executive Director Chuck Schmidt joins the show.
- Charlie Ragle - Saturday April 12U of A Assistant Coach and Tight Ends Coach Charlie Ragle joins the show.
- Matt Rogers - Saturday April 12Xavier Head Sand Volleyball Coach Matt Rogers joins the show.
- Mike Woods - Saturday April 12Hamilton Head Baseball Coach Mike Woods joins the show.
- April 12, 2014 - Hour: 1ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson, Hamilton Head Baseball Coach Mike Woods, and Xavier Sand Volleyb
- April 12, 2014 - Hour: 2U of A Assistant Coach Coach Charlie Ragle and AIA Associate Executive Director Chuck Schmidt join t
- April 5, 2014 - Hour: 1In this hour AIA 365's Les Wilsey joins the show.
- April 5, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Michael Rabasca, Ky Westbrook, and Richard Obert join the show.
- March 29, 2014 - Hour: 1Eric Kibler and Justin Allen join the show.