Gilbert High hosts high-powered 8-team volleyball Invite
Originally published: Sep 30, 2013 - 12:00 am
Nothing like some highly-competitive volleyball to spice up fall break for eight East Valley schools this weekend.
Gilbert High hosts an eight-team, two-day round robin on Friday Oct. 4 and Saturday Oct. 5. Play begins Friday at 9 a.m. and continues through approximately 5 p.m. Action resumes Saturday at 9 a.m. and concludes approximately 3 p.m. Each school plays four matches on Friday and three on Saturday. There is no official championship match.
Schools competing are Basha, Corona del Sol, Desert Vista, Gilbert, Hamilton, Horizon, Mountain Pointe and Xavier. Seven of the eight are currently in the top-10 of Division I power rankings. Hamilton (1st), Horizon (2nd), Desert Vista (4th), Xavier (5th), Mountain Pointe (6th), Gilbert (8th) and Basha (10th). Corona del Sol is currently No. 14. Of the eight schools only one has never reached the finals of the big-school classification -- Basha. Basha has been open only a decade.
- Paul Lopez - Saturday April 19Mountain Pointe Football and Track Athlete Paul Lucas joins the show.
- Jerry Dawson - Saturday April 19Former Chaparral Baseball Manager Jerry Dawson joins the show.
- Geno Fata - Saturday April 19Geno Fata Account Executive with the Diamondbacks joins the show.
- Jean Boyd - Saturday April 19ASU Associate Senior Athletic Director Jean Boyd joins the show.
- April 19, 2014 - Hour: 1Phoenix Suns Spirit of Cotton Award Winner and Valley Lutheran Head boys’ Basketball coach Robert Ko
- April 19, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Geno Fata, Jerry Dawson and Paul Lucas join the show.
- April 12, 2014 - Hour: 1ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson, Hamilton Head Baseball Coach Mike Woods, and Xavier Sand Volleyb
- April 12, 2014 - Hour: 2U of A Assistant Coach Coach Charlie Ragle and AIA Associate Executive Director Chuck Schmidt join t
- April 5, 2014 - Hour: 1In this hour AIA 365's Les Wilsey joins the show.