Desert Ridge gets offensive in second half, tops Brophy
Originally published: Sep 27, 2013 - 12:00 am
Brophy Prep could take credit in the first half for slowing high-powered Desert Ridge on offense. Brophy's defense forced three turnovers in the first 24 minutes and allowed just seven points. But when Desert Ridge turnovers dried up in the second half, its side of the scoreboard lit up.
Desert Ridge scored 31 unanswered points in the second half to break a 7-7 tie and handled Brophy, 38-14, in a Division I game at Desert Ridge. Desert Ridge has now won four games in a row while Brophy lost for the fourth consecutive week.
Desert Ridge (4-1) scored on its first five possessions (six overall) in the second half. Most of the offense was supplied by the Morrisons -- running back Taren and quarterback Tarek. Taren Morrison piled up 217 yards on 18 carries and scored four toouchdowns. Tarek Morrison, playing in his second game of the year after rehabbing a right knee injury suffered at the end of last season, added one TD and 79 yards on eight rushes. Desert Ridge rushed for 372 yards for the game and the 38 points was more than double what Brophy (1-4) had allowed on average (15 points) in its first four games.
"We had 17 rushes for 150 yards with the three turnovers in the first half," Desert Ridge coach Jeremy Hathcock said. "We told the guys that usually flips. We told them to put it on them and grind on them.... We didn't think we'd explode like we did after the three turnovers. They've got a good defensive team, but our offensive line got after it."
Desert Ridge opened the scoringin the first quarter after its defense bailed out the offense for a first-play fumble that gave Brophy the ball at the Desert Ridge 45. Desert Ridge forced a field-goal attemptby Brophy's Phillip Mourikes that sailed wide left.
Two plays later, Taren Morrison swept right end for a 76-yard TD run and with Landon Whitlow's extra point it was 7-0 with 8:10 left in the first.
The defenses battled it out the rest of the half, but the second of three Desert Ridge fumbles led to Brophy's first TD. Brophy sophomore Ryan Velez, the Broncos' workhorse back, scored on a 16-yard run with 1:39 left before halftime. It was the first touchdown Desert Ridge had allowed in 15 quarters dating back to its season opener.
Velez, who rushed for 132 yards on 20 carries, scored a second touchdown in the final period on a 3-yard run to avert a second-half shutout..
"We didn;t do enough with the turnovers we got in the first half," Brophy coach Scooter Molander said. "We really wanted to score on that first possession. The defense has played well all season and they kept us in it the first half. The second half we couldn't get our defense off the field. We played hard to the end. I'm proud of the kids for that."
Desert Ridge forced a three-and-out on Brophy to start the second half. After Brophy punted, Tarek Morrison turned a fourth-and-one play designed to get to the edge and a first down into a 39-yard TD run. That started the 31-point onslaught.
A 31-yard field goal by Whitlow and Taren Morrison's second TD -- a 58-yard run -- made it 24-7 after three periods. Brophy's third quarter consisted of 13 plays, no first downs and 14 yards of offense.
Taren Morrison added scoring runs of 11 and 2 yards in the first four minutes of the fourth quarter to improve the lead to 38-7.
- Perry High Sophomore and Arizona State Basketball Commit Markus Howard - Saturday August 30Markus Howard talks about committing to ASU and the upcoming season for Perry High School.
- Xavier Prep Junior and USC Girl's Volleyball Commit Khalia Lanier - Saturday August 30Khalia Lanier talks about the volleyball season and her commitment to USC.
- Basha Head Football Coach Gerald Todd - Saturday August 30Gerald Todd talks about getting their first win of the season against Desert Vista.
- Jim and Mark Sollenberger Brothers of Barry Sollenberger - Saturday August 23Jim and Mark Sollenberger talk about the Sollenberger Classic and what the event means to the Sollen
- August 30, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps recaps week 1 of the AZ HS sports season.
- August 30, 2014 - Hour: 2Arizona Sports Preps 365 recaps week 1 of the Arizona High School sports season.
- August 23, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365 recaps and previews the Sollenberger Classic football games.
- August 23, 2014 - Hour: 2Arizona Sports Preps 365 Recaps and Previews the Sollenberger Classic Game in Las Vegas.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Jim and Craig talk to Chuck Schmidt and Dave Zorn.