Newspaper will miss prep sports reports from Odeen Domingo
Originally published: Sep 27, 2013 - 12:00 am
Cleaning out the notebook . . .
Just wanted to take a moment to say farewell and give props to Arizona Republic/azcentral.com high school reporter Odeen Domingo, who is leaving the Dark Tower on Van Buren Street to pursue other interests . . .
Odeen did a great job in his 10 or so years at the paper. More recently, he covered girls volleyball, soccer and softball and additional subjects. And don’t forget he also covered the WNBA’s Phoenix Mercury and mixed martial arts events.
Odeen expects to remain in the Valley, at least for now, so you still might see him at some events.
*Surprise Willow Canyon football coach Mike Hudnutt has resigned and will be replaced on an interim basis by assistant Joe Martinez. Best wishes to Huduntt in his next endeavor and Martinez for the rest of this season.
Hudnutt was 39-39 in seven –plus seasons, taking over a year after the school’s first varsity season. It isn’t easy building a new program.
*As this is being written, coach Dave Inness and his defending Division V champion Phoenix Northwest Christian Crusaders are traveling to Page for tonight’s game against the Sand Devils. The trip usually takes about four hours each way, but he said the return trip likely will be lengthened by about an hour due to detours caused by rock slides earlier in the year.
Coming home will give Inness plenty of time to think about next week’s opponent, Phoenix Arizona Lutheran, which has been one of the division’s most prolific teams during the first half of the season.
“I know what they do, but stopping them is another story,’’ Inness said.
*Glendale Mountain Ridge and Phoenix Xavier Prep are the top two badminton teams in the most recent Arizona Interscholastic Association ratings, released at 10 a.m. today.
*Lakeside Blue Ridge (boys) and Tucson Desert Christian (girls) are atop the fall soccer power points list.
- Blue Ridge Head Coach Paul Moro - Saturday December 7Blue Ridge Head Coach Paul Moro joins the show to discuss winning the Division IV title last week.
- Mountain Pointe Head Coach Norris Vaughan - Saturday December 7Mountain Pointe Head Football Coach Norris Vaughan joins the show to discuss winning the Division I
- Cameron Denson Interview - Saturday November 30Salpointe Catholic player Cameron Denson talks about winning the state title and what's next for hi
- Coach Dave Inness Interview - Saturday November 30AIA Color Analyst and Northwest Christian Head Coach Dave Inness previews tonight's championships.
- December 7, 2013 - Hour: 1In this hour we talk to the Division I and Division IV State Title winners.
- November 30, 2013 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365 bringing you the latest in high school sports from around the state.
- November 30, 2013 - Hour: 2Arizona Sports Preps 365 bringing you the latest in high school sports from around the state.
- November 23, 2013 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365 bringing you the latest in high school sports from around the state.
- November 23, 2013 - Hour: 2Arizona Sports Preps 365 bringing you the latest in high school sports from around the state.