Newspaper will miss prep sports reports from Odeen Domingo
Originally published: Sep 27, 2013 - 12:00 am
Cleaning out the notebook . . .
Just wanted to take a moment to say farewell and give props to Arizona Republic/azcentral.com high school reporter Odeen Domingo, who is leaving the Dark Tower on Van Buren Street to pursue other interests . . .
Odeen did a great job in his 10 or so years at the paper. More recently, he covered girls volleyball, soccer and softball and additional subjects. And don’t forget he also covered the WNBA’s Phoenix Mercury and mixed martial arts events.
Odeen expects to remain in the Valley, at least for now, so you still might see him at some events.
*Surprise Willow Canyon football coach Mike Hudnutt has resigned and will be replaced on an interim basis by assistant Joe Martinez. Best wishes to Huduntt in his next endeavor and Martinez for the rest of this season.
Hudnutt was 39-39 in seven –plus seasons, taking over a year after the school’s first varsity season. It isn’t easy building a new program.
*As this is being written, coach Dave Inness and his defending Division V champion Phoenix Northwest Christian Crusaders are traveling to Page for tonight’s game against the Sand Devils. The trip usually takes about four hours each way, but he said the return trip likely will be lengthened by about an hour due to detours caused by rock slides earlier in the year.
Coming home will give Inness plenty of time to think about next week’s opponent, Phoenix Arizona Lutheran, which has been one of the division’s most prolific teams during the first half of the season.
“I know what they do, but stopping them is another story,’’ Inness said.
*Glendale Mountain Ridge and Phoenix Xavier Prep are the top two badminton teams in the most recent Arizona Interscholastic Association ratings, released at 10 a.m. today.
*Lakeside Blue Ridge (boys) and Tucson Desert Christian (girls) are atop the fall soccer power points list.
- Lisa Contreras - Saturday March 1Head coach of the Westview girl's basketball team, Lisa Contreras, joins the show.
- Sam Duane - Saturday March 1Corona del Sol Head Coach Sam Duane joins the show.
- James Kirk - Saturday March 1Flagstaff Head Coach James Kirk joins the show.
- Paul Coro - Saturday March 1AZ Central's Paul Coro joins the show.
- March 1, 2014 - Hour: 1Jim Smith, Brian Bolitho and Paul Coro join the show.
- March 1, 2014 - Hour: 2This hour James Kirk, Lisa Contreras and Sam Duane join the show
- February 22, 2014 - Hour: 1In this hour, Michael Carutenuto, Les Wilsey and Jason Skoda join the show.
- February 22, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour of the show we have The Full Court Press and David Hopkinson and Richard Obert also joi
- February 15, 2014 - Hour: 1AIA 365 - Bringing the highest quality on air content covering Arizona and National Prep Athletics.