Newspaper will miss prep sports reports from Odeen Domingo
Originally published: Sep 27, 2013 - 12:00 am
Cleaning out the notebook . . .
Just wanted to take a moment to say farewell and give props to Arizona Republic/azcentral.com high school reporter Odeen Domingo, who is leaving the Dark Tower on Van Buren Street to pursue other interests . . .
Odeen did a great job in his 10 or so years at the paper. More recently, he covered girls volleyball, soccer and softball and additional subjects. And don’t forget he also covered the WNBA’s Phoenix Mercury and mixed martial arts events.
Odeen expects to remain in the Valley, at least for now, so you still might see him at some events.
*Surprise Willow Canyon football coach Mike Hudnutt has resigned and will be replaced on an interim basis by assistant Joe Martinez. Best wishes to Huduntt in his next endeavor and Martinez for the rest of this season.
Hudnutt was 39-39 in seven –plus seasons, taking over a year after the school’s first varsity season. It isn’t easy building a new program.
*As this is being written, coach Dave Inness and his defending Division V champion Phoenix Northwest Christian Crusaders are traveling to Page for tonight’s game against the Sand Devils. The trip usually takes about four hours each way, but he said the return trip likely will be lengthened by about an hour due to detours caused by rock slides earlier in the year.
Coming home will give Inness plenty of time to think about next week’s opponent, Phoenix Arizona Lutheran, which has been one of the division’s most prolific teams during the first half of the season.
“I know what they do, but stopping them is another story,’’ Inness said.
*Glendale Mountain Ridge and Phoenix Xavier Prep are the top two badminton teams in the most recent Arizona Interscholastic Association ratings, released at 10 a.m. today.
*Lakeside Blue Ridge (boys) and Tucson Desert Christian (girls) are atop the fall soccer power points list.
- Dave Zorn - Saturday June 14Host of the Friday Night Wrap-Up Show, Dave Zorn, joins the show to talk about why he is leaving.
- Chuck Schmidt - Saturday June 14AIA Executive Director, Chuck Schmidt, joins the show to talk about everything AIA.
- Blake Jackson - Saturday June 7Gilbert High School, Scottsdale Community College and Oklahoma State alum, Blake Jackson joins the s
- Casey Benson - Saturday June 7Three Time State Champion PG for Corona Del Sol, Casey Benson, joins the show.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Jim and Craig talk to Chuck Schmidt and Dave Zorn.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 1In this hour Jim and Craig talk to 3 TV's Tyler Baldwin and Az Central's Richard Obert.
- June 7, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365, in this hour Sammy Chagolla, Bryce Perkins and Ky Westbrook join the show.
- June 7, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Cole Tucker, Casey Benson and Blake Jackson join the show.
- May 31, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365 Show, bringing the latest in high school sports around the state.