#11 Desert Mountain Heads To #9 Horizon For Big D-I Showdown
Originally published: Sep 26, 2013 - 12:00 am
Kyle Allen and the 11th-ranked Desert Mountain Wolves look to bounce back on Friday night as they travel to Horizon to take on the ninth-ranked Huskies in a Division I showdown in Scottsdale.
The Wolves (2-2) are coming off a tough 35-28 home loss to Chaparral last Friday. Desert Mountain jumped out to a 28-0 advantage and led 28-14 at the half, but the Wolves couldn't get anything going after the break as they were outscored 21-0 en route to the loss.
Allen, who is committed to Texas A&M University, threw for 283 yards with three touchdowns and one interception in defeat. On the season, the nation's top QB has thrown for 1,121 yards with nine TD's and three picks while completing 70 percent of his passes.
Oklahoma bound Mark Andrews has been Allen's go-to target, hauling in 22 catches for 456 yards and five scores. The 6-foot-6 Andrews, however, left last week's loss to Chaparral in the second quarter with an apparent leg injury and will likely be a game-time decision.
Horizon head coach Kris Heavner says "obviously those two are very dynamic players and you can not stop them, you try to contain them by limiting there big plays. They will make plays because of how extremely talented they are we just want to limit how many big plays they have."
After opening the year with a tough 56-53 home loss to Marcos de Niza, Horizon (3-1) has reeled off three straight wins over Corona del Sol, Millennium and most recently at Paradise Valley. The Huskies racked up 737 total yards of offense as they crushed the Trojans 73-28 last Thursday.
Junior quarterback Dalton Sneed has the Huskies riding high. He torched PV for 410 yards and four touchdowns. Senior running back/defensive back Luke Quinn also had a terrific night, posting 289 all-purpose yards and six total touchdowns. He also had seven tackles, three forced fumbles, two fumble recoveries and four passes defensed in the lopsided victory.
Sneed has thrown for 1,244 yards with 12 TD's and five picks this season. Quinn has rushed for 448 yards and eight scores to go with 217 receiving yards and three TD's. He's averaging over 166 all-purpose yards per game.
On his senior utility man, Heavner says "Luke (Quinn) is incredible! I think he is a Division One talent and he plays like it. He is all over the field making plays on offense and defense. He is also our team leader and what he does off the field is just as incredible as what everyone sees Friday nights."
Horizon has won four of the five all-time meetings with Desert Mountain, including a 48-7 road rout of the Wolves last year. Kickoff Friday in North Scottsdale is at 7pm.
- Blue Ridge Head Coach Paul Moro - Saturday December 7Blue Ridge Head Coach Paul Moro joins the show to discuss winning the Division IV title last week.
- Mountain Pointe Head Coach Norris Vaughan - Saturday December 7Mountain Pointe Head Football Coach Norris Vaughan joins the show to discuss winning the Division I
- Cameron Denson Interview - Saturday November 30Salpointe Catholic player Cameron Denson talks about winning the state title and what's next for hi
- Coach Dave Inness Interview - Saturday November 30AIA Color Analyst and Northwest Christian Head Coach Dave Inness previews tonight's championships.
- December 7, 2013 - Hour: 1In this hour we talk to the Division I and Division IV State Title winners.
- November 30, 2013 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365 bringing you the latest in high school sports from around the state.
- November 30, 2013 - Hour: 2Arizona Sports Preps 365 bringing you the latest in high school sports from around the state.
- November 23, 2013 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365 bringing you the latest in high school sports from around the state.
- November 23, 2013 - Hour: 2Arizona Sports Preps 365 bringing you the latest in high school sports from around the state.