Playing catch-up with Hundley, Oregon linemen, farm report
Originally published: Sep 25, 2013 - 12:00 am
It’s way too early to start thinking about the 2014 NFL Draft, but that isn’t keeping prognosticators from predicting who will go where.
For Arizona high school football fans, the cool part is that three former in-state standouts are being mentioned as potential high draft picks, according to these two analysts. The three Arizona high school alums that might hear their names called early are quarterback Brett Hundley (UCLA, Chandler High,) offensive lineman Taylor Lewan (Michigan, Chaparral) and defensive end Trent Murphy (Stanford, Brophy). cbssports.com released a video this week of a touching story it did about Hundley and his sister’s bouts with epilepsy.
You can see that video here.
---Fifth-year senior linebacker Devon Kennard was named one of four captains this season for USC despite missing last year with an injury. Kennard (Desert Vista) returns home this week when USC plays at Arizona State on Saturday.
---Here’s a couple of videos on friends and former Arizona high school linemen Tyler Johnstone (Hamilton) and Andre Yruretagoyena (Chaparral). The teammates are redshirt sophomores at the University of Oregon.
The two actually played on the same soccer team when they were in kindergarten and reunited when they wound up at Oregon.
---The state’s arguably best high school girls basketball player to graduate from Arizona, Nicole Powell (Mountain Pointe), is retiring after 10 years of WNBA basketball and will join Gonzaga’s coaching staff.
Jaff Decker (Sunrise Mountain) is batting .286 with 10 home runs and 40 RBI’s for the Tucson Padres of the Triple-A Pacific Coast League.
Tommy Joseph (Horizon) is hitting .273 for the Reading Fightin Phils of the Double-A Eastern League.
Dylan Cozens (Chaparral) is with the Class A’s Williamsport Crosscutters in the New York-Penn League. He is hitting .265 with nine home runs and 35 RBIS after 245 at bats.
Joey Curletta (Mountain Pointe) hit .326 with 42 RBI’s during his Rookie Pioneer League season with the Odgen Raptors.
To keep track of Arizona’s high school alumni, aia365.com started its “Playing Catch-up” feature to continue following the careers of those athletes. If you know of any former Arizona stars still making headlines on or off the field, please let us know.
- Cameron Denson Interview - Saturday November 30Salpointe Catholic player Cameron Denson talks about winning the state title and what's next for hi
- Coach Dave Inness Interview - Saturday November 30AIA Color Analyst and Northwest Christian Head Coach Dave Inness previews tonight's championships.
- Coach Dennis Bene Interview - Saturday November 30Division II State Champion Salpointe Head Coach Dennis Bene talks about winning the state title.
- Luke Rubenzer Interview - Saturday November 30Division III Champion Saguaro Quarterback Luke Rubenzer joins the show.
- November 30, 2013 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365 bringing you the latest in high school sports from around the state.
- November 30, 2013 - Hour: 2Arizona Sports Preps 365 bringing you the latest in high school sports from around the state.
- November 23, 2013 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365 bringing you the latest in high school sports from around the state.
- November 23, 2013 - Hour: 2Arizona Sports Preps 365 bringing you the latest in high school sports from around the state.
- November 16, 2013 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps is bringing you the latest on high school sports from around the state.