Playing catch-up with Hundley, Oregon linemen, farm report
Originally published: Sep 25, 2013 - 12:00 am
It’s way too early to start thinking about the 2014 NFL Draft, but that isn’t keeping prognosticators from predicting who will go where.
For Arizona high school football fans, the cool part is that three former in-state standouts are being mentioned as potential high draft picks, according to these two analysts. The three Arizona high school alums that might hear their names called early are quarterback Brett Hundley (UCLA, Chandler High,) offensive lineman Taylor Lewan (Michigan, Chaparral) and defensive end Trent Murphy (Stanford, Brophy). cbssports.com released a video this week of a touching story it did about Hundley and his sister’s bouts with epilepsy.
You can see that video here.
---Fifth-year senior linebacker Devon Kennard was named one of four captains this season for USC despite missing last year with an injury. Kennard (Desert Vista) returns home this week when USC plays at Arizona State on Saturday.
---Here’s a couple of videos on friends and former Arizona high school linemen Tyler Johnstone (Hamilton) and Andre Yruretagoyena (Chaparral). The teammates are redshirt sophomores at the University of Oregon.
The two actually played on the same soccer team when they were in kindergarten and reunited when they wound up at Oregon.
---The state’s arguably best high school girls basketball player to graduate from Arizona, Nicole Powell (Mountain Pointe), is retiring after 10 years of WNBA basketball and will join Gonzaga’s coaching staff.
Jaff Decker (Sunrise Mountain) is batting .286 with 10 home runs and 40 RBI’s for the Tucson Padres of the Triple-A Pacific Coast League.
Tommy Joseph (Horizon) is hitting .273 for the Reading Fightin Phils of the Double-A Eastern League.
Dylan Cozens (Chaparral) is with the Class A’s Williamsport Crosscutters in the New York-Penn League. He is hitting .265 with nine home runs and 35 RBIS after 245 at bats.
Joey Curletta (Mountain Pointe) hit .326 with 42 RBI’s during his Rookie Pioneer League season with the Odgen Raptors.
To keep track of Arizona’s high school alumni, aia365.com started its “Playing Catch-up” feature to continue following the careers of those athletes. If you know of any former Arizona stars still making headlines on or off the field, please let us know.
- Dave Zorn - Saturday June 14Host of the Friday Night Wrap-Up Show, Dave Zorn, joins the show to talk about why he is leaving.
- Chuck Schmidt - Saturday June 14AIA Executive Director, Chuck Schmidt, joins the show to talk about everything AIA.
- Blake Jackson - Saturday June 7Gilbert High School, Scottsdale Community College and Oklahoma State alum, Blake Jackson joins the s
- Casey Benson - Saturday June 7Three Time State Champion PG for Corona Del Sol, Casey Benson, joins the show.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Jim and Craig talk to Chuck Schmidt and Dave Zorn.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 1In this hour Jim and Craig talk to 3 TV's Tyler Baldwin and Az Central's Richard Obert.
- June 7, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365, in this hour Sammy Chagolla, Bryce Perkins and Ky Westbrook join the show.
- June 7, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Cole Tucker, Casey Benson and Blake Jackson join the show.
- May 31, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365 Show, bringing the latest in high school sports around the state.