Katie Wagner taught all of us what it means to be courageous
Originally published: Sep 19, 2013 - 12:00 am
Cancer is evil, more evil than you can imagine.
Most people know about that first-hand, having lost a family member or friend to the disease.
But out of the scorched earth of radiation and chemotherapy, a beautiful flower can sometimes grow.
Katie Wagner was one of those flowers.
The 17-year-old student at Boulder Creek High School in Anthem passed away on Tuesday (Sept. 17) after waging a two-year fight with cancer.
Covering sports teams from Boulder Creek since that time, I noticed students and athletes wearing T-shirts with her name on them to show support. That support was felt in the Anthem community and reached far beyond.
Most people thought she had this thing whipped, that the cancer had gone away, and it had. But it returned earlier this year and she decided not to endure the strain of treatment any longer.
I did not know Katie, but she seemed like a humble person. She enjoyed singing in the school choir. She took comfort in basking in the light of a higher power.
She taught all of us about strength and courage, more than any locker-room pep talk could ever do.
To get a more intimate view of Katie’s life, check out the video now being displayed on azentral.com. Channel 12 reporter Kevin Kennedy did a nice job with the tribute.
- Perry High Sophomore and Arizona State Basketball Commit Markus Howard - Saturday August 30Markus Howard talks about committing to ASU and the upcoming season for Perry High School.
- Xavier Prep Junior and USC Girl's Volleyball Commit Khalia Lanier - Saturday August 30Khalia Lanier talks about the volleyball season and her commitment to USC.
- Basha Head Football Coach Gerald Todd - Saturday August 30Gerald Todd talks about getting their first win of the season against Desert Vista.
- Jim and Mark Sollenberger Brothers of Barry Sollenberger - Saturday August 23Jim and Mark Sollenberger talk about the Sollenberger Classic and what the event means to the Sollen
- August 30, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps recaps week 1 of the AZ HS sports season.
- August 30, 2014 - Hour: 2Arizona Sports Preps 365 recaps week 1 of the Arizona High School sports season.
- August 23, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365 recaps and previews the Sollenberger Classic football games.
- August 23, 2014 - Hour: 2Arizona Sports Preps 365 Recaps and Previews the Sollenberger Classic Game in Las Vegas.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Jim and Craig talk to Chuck Schmidt and Dave Zorn.