Deer Valley students can't play immediately if they transfer
Originally published: Sep 18, 2013 - 12:00 am
The suspension placed on Deer Valley's athletic programs this week left athletes and their families asking if they can transfer and immediately play at another school.
The answer is no, according to the Arizona Interscholastic Association's transfer bylaw (Article 15.10). Athletes who transfer can't play for another team unless there is a change of domicile or granted eligibility though the hardship process.
But Deer Valley’s case is unique. On Monday, the AIA's executive board for the first time placed all of the teams and individual athletic programs at one school on probation.
Deer Valley has a chance to appeal the decision, but the AIA hasn’t received an appeal yet. Deer Valley has a chance to take the corrective action needed during the appeal that might help lift part or all of the probation.
But what if the probation isn't rescinded? Will the AIA allow athletes who weren't involved in the alleged mistakes that were made to transfer and play immediately?
"If the probation is not lifted for the activities program, I am sure the executive board will be discussing the concerns parents have raised regarding transferring to another school,” said Chuck Schmidt, the AIA’s associate executive director. “All ideas I am sure will be on the table for discussion if that occurs."
Schmidt will be on the Arizona Sports Preps 365 show on Saturday at 9:30 a.m. on KTAR 620 to talk about Deer Valley's probation.
- Chuck Schmidt - Saturday March 8AIA Associate Executive Director joins the show this morning.
- Karen Self - Saturday March 8Seton Catholic Head Girls Basketball Coach, Karen Self, joins the show.
- Jerry Conner - Saturday March 8Shadow Mountain Head Coach, Jerry Conner, joins the show.
- J'ohntar Coleman - Saturday March 8Desert Vista Head Girls Basketball Coach, J'ohntar Coleman, joins the show.
- March 8, 2014 - Hour: 1Player Casey Benson and coaches J'ohntar Coleman and Jerry Conner join the show.
- March 8, 2014 - Hour: 2Karen Self and AIA's Chuck Schmidt join the show.
- March 1, 2014 - Hour: 1Jim Smith, Brian Bolitho and Paul Coro join the show.
- March 1, 2014 - Hour: 2This hour James Kirk, Lisa Contreras and Sam Duane join the show
- February 22, 2014 - Hour: 1In this hour, Michael Carutenuto, Les Wilsey and Jason Skoda join the show.