Deer Valley students can't play immediately if they transfer
Originally published: Sep 18, 2013 - 12:00 am
The suspension placed on Deer Valley's athletic programs this week left athletes and their families asking if they can transfer and immediately play at another school.
The answer is no, according to the Arizona Interscholastic Association's transfer bylaw (Article 15.10). Athletes who transfer can't play for another team unless there is a change of domicile or granted eligibility though the hardship process.
But Deer Valley’s case is unique. On Monday, the AIA's executive board for the first time placed all of the teams and individual athletic programs at one school on probation.
Deer Valley has a chance to appeal the decision, but the AIA hasn’t received an appeal yet. Deer Valley has a chance to take the corrective action needed during the appeal that might help lift part or all of the probation.
But what if the probation isn't rescinded? Will the AIA allow athletes who weren't involved in the alleged mistakes that were made to transfer and play immediately?
"If the probation is not lifted for the activities program, I am sure the executive board will be discussing the concerns parents have raised regarding transferring to another school,” said Chuck Schmidt, the AIA’s associate executive director. “All ideas I am sure will be on the table for discussion if that occurs."
Schmidt will be on the Arizona Sports Preps 365 show on Saturday at 9:30 a.m. on KTAR 620 to talk about Deer Valley's probation.
- Dave Zorn - Saturday June 14Host of the Friday Night Wrap-Up Show, Dave Zorn, joins the show to talk about why he is leaving.
- Chuck Schmidt - Saturday June 14AIA Executive Director, Chuck Schmidt, joins the show to talk about everything AIA.
- Blake Jackson - Saturday June 7Gilbert High School, Scottsdale Community College and Oklahoma State alum, Blake Jackson joins the s
- Casey Benson - Saturday June 7Three Time State Champion PG for Corona Del Sol, Casey Benson, joins the show.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Jim and Craig talk to Chuck Schmidt and Dave Zorn.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 1In this hour Jim and Craig talk to 3 TV's Tyler Baldwin and Az Central's Richard Obert.
- June 7, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365, in this hour Sammy Chagolla, Bryce Perkins and Ky Westbrook join the show.
- June 7, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Cole Tucker, Casey Benson and Blake Jackson join the show.
- May 31, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365 Show, bringing the latest in high school sports around the state.