Deer Valley students can't play immediately if they transfer
Originally published: Sep 18, 2013 - 12:00 am
The suspension placed on Deer Valley's athletic programs this week left athletes and their families asking if they can transfer and immediately play at another school.
The answer is no, according to the Arizona Interscholastic Association's transfer bylaw (Article 15.10). Athletes who transfer can't play for another team unless there is a change of domicile or granted eligibility though the hardship process.
But Deer Valley’s case is unique. On Monday, the AIA's executive board for the first time placed all of the teams and individual athletic programs at one school on probation.
Deer Valley has a chance to appeal the decision, but the AIA hasn’t received an appeal yet. Deer Valley has a chance to take the corrective action needed during the appeal that might help lift part or all of the probation.
But what if the probation isn't rescinded? Will the AIA allow athletes who weren't involved in the alleged mistakes that were made to transfer and play immediately?
"If the probation is not lifted for the activities program, I am sure the executive board will be discussing the concerns parents have raised regarding transferring to another school,” said Chuck Schmidt, the AIA’s associate executive director. “All ideas I am sure will be on the table for discussion if that occurs."
Schmidt will be on the Arizona Sports Preps 365 show on Saturday at 9:30 a.m. on KTAR 620 to talk about Deer Valley's probation.
- Blue Ridge Head Coach Paul Moro - Saturday December 7Blue Ridge Head Coach Paul Moro joins the show to discuss winning the Division IV title last week.
- Mountain Pointe Head Coach Norris Vaughan - Saturday December 7Mountain Pointe Head Football Coach Norris Vaughan joins the show to discuss winning the Division I
- Cameron Denson Interview - Saturday November 30Salpointe Catholic player Cameron Denson talks about winning the state title and what's next for hi
- Coach Dave Inness Interview - Saturday November 30AIA Color Analyst and Northwest Christian Head Coach Dave Inness previews tonight's championships.
- December 7, 2013 - Hour: 1In this hour we talk to the Division I and Division IV State Title winners.
- November 30, 2013 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365 bringing you the latest in high school sports from around the state.
- November 30, 2013 - Hour: 2Arizona Sports Preps 365 bringing you the latest in high school sports from around the state.
- November 23, 2013 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365 bringing you the latest in high school sports from around the state.
- November 23, 2013 - Hour: 2Arizona Sports Preps 365 bringing you the latest in high school sports from around the state.