Deer Valley students can't play immediately if they transfer
Originally published: Sep 18, 2013 - 12:00 am
The suspension placed on Deer Valley's athletic programs this week left athletes and their families asking if they can transfer and immediately play at another school.
The answer is no, according to the Arizona Interscholastic Association's transfer bylaw (Article 15.10). Athletes who transfer can't play for another team unless there is a change of domicile or granted eligibility though the hardship process.
But Deer Valley’s case is unique. On Monday, the AIA's executive board for the first time placed all of the teams and individual athletic programs at one school on probation.
Deer Valley has a chance to appeal the decision, but the AIA hasn’t received an appeal yet. Deer Valley has a chance to take the corrective action needed during the appeal that might help lift part or all of the probation.
But what if the probation isn't rescinded? Will the AIA allow athletes who weren't involved in the alleged mistakes that were made to transfer and play immediately?
"If the probation is not lifted for the activities program, I am sure the executive board will be discussing the concerns parents have raised regarding transferring to another school,” said Chuck Schmidt, the AIA’s associate executive director. “All ideas I am sure will be on the table for discussion if that occurs."
Schmidt will be on the Arizona Sports Preps 365 show on Saturday at 9:30 a.m. on KTAR 620 to talk about Deer Valley's probation.
- Paul Lopez - Saturday April 19Mountain Pointe Football and Track Athlete Paul Lucas joins the show.
- Jerry Dawson - Saturday April 19Former Chaparral Baseball Manager Jerry Dawson joins the show.
- Geno Fata - Saturday April 19Geno Fata Account Executive with the Diamondbacks joins the show.
- Jean Boyd - Saturday April 19ASU Associate Senior Athletic Director Jean Boyd joins the show.
- April 19, 2014 - Hour: 1Phoenix Suns Spirit of Cotton Award Winner and Valley Lutheran Head boys’ Basketball coach Robert Ko
- April 19, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Geno Fata, Jerry Dawson and Paul Lucas join the show.
- April 12, 2014 - Hour: 1ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson, Hamilton Head Baseball Coach Mike Woods, and Xavier Sand Volleyb
- April 12, 2014 - Hour: 2U of A Assistant Coach Coach Charlie Ragle and AIA Associate Executive Director Chuck Schmidt join t
- April 5, 2014 - Hour: 1In this hour AIA 365's Les Wilsey joins the show.